Hello all. I just wanted to post here what my impressions of WDW were after doing a 2 day park hopping experience this past Friday and Saturday. DLR is my "home" Disney resort so to speak (have been 5 - 6 times between 2001 and 2011) and I hadn't been to WDW since 1998 (when I was 13) so I was really interested in seeing how the east coast park operated. After reading certain things here, I was worried I was going to be disappointed with the parks. That disappointment didn't happen and I had a great time.
Here are some of my first thoughts off of the top of my head:
- I LOVE DL, but there's something "magical" about parking your car, boarding a ferry , seeing the MK in the distance, and riding over the lagoon, and having the boat drop you off near the entrance
- The Fantasyland expansion looks great (so far), I can't wait to see it finished.
- Future World needs some TLC.
- Why the heck did Disney put that sorcerer's hat in the location it did at DHS? The hat blocks the beautifully done facade of the Chinese Theater.
- Why the heck did they prevent guests from walking through the castle to get from Main Street to Fantasyland? As a kid I used to love walking through the Castle and now one has to go through either Tomorrowland, Liberty Square, or a narrow pathway with a smoking section at one end of it to get from Main Street to the "signature" land.
- WDW has a lot more Fastpass rides than DLR (but on slow days, the Fastpasses really aren't needed for most rides).
- WDW isn't nearly as "dirty" or "worn down" as some people on these boards state, but there were attractions where broken animatronics were noticeable.
- IllumiNations was amazing.
- The Epcot Food and Wine festival was a LOT of fun. I love all of the different booths with all of the different delicacies.
- The beginning of The Gran Fiesta Tour looks and feels like the beginning of DL's Pirates (except one is in Mexico and the other in the Bayou) complete with the restaurant on one side
- Stitch was about as lame as everyone has posted.
Now for some ride comparisons:
- Space Mountain: Call me crazy, but I love the MK version of this ride even more than I love the DL version. The ride, for whatever reason, at MK just seems more "thrilling". It may be the drops, it may be the left AND right turns, it may be the ride vehicles, but I'm going to have to cast a vote to the MK for having my favorite version of this ride.
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin: DL's version is far superior in almost every way (the queue, the removable guns, the lighted targets). I was a bit disappointed with the MK version.
- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: Good ride, about the same at both parks. I miss the Country Bears at DL and Mr. Toad at the MK though.
- Peter Pan’s Flight: I can definitely see why there is such a wait for this ride at MK. Good ride, more detail than the DL version.
- “it’s a small world”: The exterior at DL is far, far, far, far superior.
- Haunted Mansion: I like the outdoor interactive queue at the MK. As far as the ride itself, I'd have to say that I prefer the DL version. I also wish that the MK had HMH.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: The DL version seems a bit more "wild".
- Splash Mountain: The MK version seems to have a better ride sequence and ride vehicles.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: I like the queue at the MK. The rest of the ride is unquestionably better at DL. The MK version just feels "too" short and lacks a lot of the detail of the DL version.
- Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room: See above. The MK has the abridged version of this attraction. I like the queue and show building better at DL as well (the animatronic pre-show at DL really adds to the experience, IMHO).
- Jungle Cruise: The MK version is longer and more detailed. A reverse of Pirates and Tiki.
That's all for now... I'll add some more thoughts later.