• Practically Perfect

Question First Time to WDW...

Sorry if you guys get a lot of these (and if you do, if you could just point me in the direction of another thread or something that'd be cool too...) but this summer I'm supposed to be going to WDW for my first time. I was just wondering, since I've never been, if anyone had any advice or tips/things I shouldn't miss out on (not that there's a lot I'm planning on not doing...but yeah).

So far I know I'll be staying at the Port Orleans French Quarter Resort and we plan on being there for 10 days. I'm looking forward to finding out about Expedition Everest for myself (we're going in May...I hope everything will be open...).

Other than that there are a few things I'm looking forward to, but I'm mostly clueless. Sorry if I just rambled for a while, but any tips and such would be grealy appreciate! Thanks again micechatters!

• Minion

Re: First Time to WDW...

Well, I think the best way you could get the information you need, is to take me with you!!!!! I love WDW and just got back a few weeks ago.

• Minion

Buy a poncho. It rains a lot in summer! Drink lots of water and take breaks. the humidity is oppressive.

Buy a refillable mug first day you're there. Bring your own water bottles. The water in Florida tastes awful and buying water bottles in the park is expensive.

The French Quarter does not have a sit down restaurant, if that's important to you switch over to the Riverside.

One of my favorite park hopping excursions is between Epcot and the MGM Studios. Take the exit from the World Showcase and catch the boat to the MGM Studios. It's relaxing and gives you the opportunity to see the Epcot resorts.

Park hopping is easy between the theme parks, but very time consuming when it involves the Magic Kingdom. Even so, try to ride the monorail to Epcot at least once, because the monorail gives a great overview of Future World. The tracks wind through for a good 5 minutes or so.

Try and get in the front car on the monorail. This is easier to do on the resorts loop, say from the Contemporary Resort. One tip I saw was to park your car at EPCOT on its Early Entry day and then take the monorail to the TTC if you wanted to ride in the front car. Only 4 people can ride up front, but the conductor always tries to make it nice. THey even give out a little certificate, which makes a nice keepsake.

WIll you have a car? If so, make a Priority Seating for the Cape May Cafe for the all you can eat seafood dinner, whcih is reasonable for Disney. Make the PS even if you have no intention of keeping it, just so you can park at the Beach Club. Enter EPCOT through the World Showcase entrance, view Illulminations, make a hasty retreat. You'll be in your car and back at your hotel before others have wound their way to the front entrance and made it to the bus stop.

If your budget allows, book a specialty cruise and view Wishes or Illuminations from the boat. Never done it, but it can be a pretty cool experience according to those who've done it. You'll have to call the second the phone lines open up 30 or 60 days out (can't remember which one)

If the water parks are in your plans, get there at park openning to grab a good chair. Sometimes the water parks hit capacity pretty early in the day.

If you like shows, do not miss The Lion King at the Animal Kingdom. Ditto for Mickey's PhilHarmagic in Fantasyland. This is a terrific 3-D show, in fact it shold not be missed.

The People Mover in Tomorrowland gives a nice overview of this land, it goes inside the Space Mountain ride for a sneak peek. I love it just for the chance to rest my feet.

Early Entrance to the Magic Kingdom is so worth it just to knock off Fantasyland. STorngly suggest doing Dumbo first, since the line moves very slow and there is no shade.

Use Fastpass. Last time I was at WDW, they would only honor the FASTPASS during the alloted time on the ticket. I understand DL has a different policy.

I like touring the Future World in Epcot at night because everyone heads to the World Showcase for dinner and Illulminations. This is especially true during the International Food and Wine Festival (October/November).

Allow plenty of time to get around, especially if using the bus, just in case you have to wait for another and be prepared to stand if necessary. BEleive me, the bus can be very UN-magical at the end of a long day.

There is a boat ride to Dowtown Disney. Be sure to go the Adventureres Club and the new Irish pub at Pleasure Island.

Have fun!

• Minion

The official openning of Everest is in April, so you should be fine. There is a ton of online info about WDW at The Dis (google it).

• Practically Perfect

wow you guys...you rock! Thanks for all the info! I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes! I'm going with my whole family so it should be crazy, but we just picked a date today: May 17th to the 27th. I CANNOT wait. We're still working out all the details, but I will take all this into account. thanks again guys!!

• Disney Memory Maker

My suggestions....

1) Buy a water bottle the first day....don't lose it. $2 everytime you want water is expensive, so just refill them at the water fountains.

2) Take it slow. Search for hidden things. It is better to take your time and not overlook anything.

3) If you wish to dine at some of the sit-down places (like Crystal Palace), make reservations ASAP.

4) Do some research. Go to AllEarsNet.com. Deb Wills has composed an excellent website that is sure to be able to guide you on your trip. When given the "it's my first trip, what do I do" question, it is very hard for us to answer here (because it is very general). However, AllEarsNet has composed everything we could think of and things we wouldn't have thought of saying.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    My suggestions....4) Do some research. Go to AllEarsNet.com. Deb Wills has composed an excellent website that is sure to be able to guide you on your trip. When given the "it's my first trip, what do I do" question, it is very hard for us to answer here (because it is very general). However, AllEarsNet has composed everything we could think of and things we wouldn't have thought of saying.

-Michael
    This is the absolute best advice anyone could give. Deb's site is the best out there and is a wealth of information/advice, most importantly up to date.

I would spend time there. Then, if you have specifics, ask away here ...