• How's My Playing, Hattie?

Question What is it? Main Street or Disney?

I see it differently on every website. I'm going to WDW next week and I'm really excited to see the Main Street Electrical Parade. My question is, is that what's there? Does the drum say MAIN STREET or DISNEY'S? And does it play the 1977 soundtrack or the newer one?
    How many times can you listen to Baroque Hoedown until you completely lose it?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: What is it? Main Street or Disney?

The Disney World website calls it The Main Street Electrical Parade, and the photo shows it as Disney's Electrical Parade. I look forward to seeing it when I visit Disney World in April coming up.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Long version: The current Main Street Electrical Parade at the Magic Kingdom is basically the revamped version of California Adventure's parade. It has the Tinkerbell Float instead of the Blue Fairy float, "pixie dust trails" that follow every float, the drum still says "Disney's Electrical Parade," and it has the new music borrowed from Tokyo Disneyland's Dreamlights. It is also missing the Dumbo's Circus floats, but has the Pinocchio and Snow White Units.

Short version: Drum still says "Disney's Electrical Parade" and the parade has the new music instead of the original 1977 mix.

Hope this helps!

The intro voice announces it as the Main Street Electrical Parade although as posters above have noted, the drum says Disney's Electrical Parade. And it's the cold/sterile Dreamlights music without the transition to orchestral. I'd like the parade a whole lot better if the original soundtrack was used.
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,Feb'10,Apr'10,Sept'10,Jan'11 ,Apr'11,May'11,Sept'11,Dec'11,Mar'12,May'12,Sept/Oct'12,Nov'12
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10

^ Hey, at least the music KINDA sounds like the original Baroque Hoedown.

What I personally don't like about the modern MSEP is that it has the intrusive "pixie dust trail" on all the floats (and in the music) and how they replaced the classic Blue Fairy with Tinkerbell (an obvious tie-in to her DVD movies)

I noticed that pixie dust thing when I was watching it on YouTube. That was annoying.

I barely see the point in watching the parade if they aren't using the 1977 soundtrack.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

They don't use the old soundtrack because of the extra beat... It's easier on the dancers and marchers in the parade. I still miss SpectroMagic myself...
    -Bill

I personally prefer any version of the MSEP to SpectroMagic.

Don't hate me for it, but I don't like SpectroMagic.

In my opinion, I find SpectroMagic to be a bit boring and "regal" for my tastes. The Electrical Parade is still bouncy and kinetic without having the overly long, color-changing floats and orchestral music Spectro does. It just seems more "fun" than Spectro.

I'll give SpectroMagic this, though: I enjoy it's integration of modern characters alongside lesser-known personalities.
    Last edited by MickeyM; 10-14-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    They don't use the old soundtrack because of the extra beat... It's easier on the dancers and marchers in the parade.

What do mean extra beat? Are you sure it's not because they feel everything needs to be updated?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Yes I'm sure. The extra beat is there at the end of the loop. The new version actually adds another beat to compensate for the extra out of place beat, that way all the dancers (marchers) can stay in sync more easily. Before, you'd have to switch steps every loop.

---------- Post added 10-22-2012 at 07:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    I personally prefer any version of the MSEP to SpectroMagic.

Don't hate me for it, but I don't like SpectroMagic.

In my opinion, I find SpectroMagic to be a bit boring and "regal" for my tastes. The Electrical Parade is still bouncy and kinetic without having the overly long, color-changing floats and orchestral music Spectro does. It just seems more "fun" than Spectro.

I'll give SpectroMagic this, though: I enjoy it's integration of modern characters alongside lesser-known personalities.
    Spectro is supposed to be more regal... The Magic Kingdom is more regal of a park than Disneyland, so that's done on purpose.

As far as not enjoying it as much... well, I think that depends on which parade you have the best memories of growing up with. I grew up with both, but my better memories are with SpectroMagic.

If you compare physical floats, Spectro always wins though, simply because it was designed to be better in all aspects. It has transforming floats (Chernabog), moving elements on the floats (my favorite is the gator twirling the hippo), color changing floats (the finale is pretty awesome), mixed media (Fiber Optics, Plasma, Video, Fog, Bubbles, etc) and is actually a couple floats longer than the MSEP. Even the current caretakers of the MSEP like Spectro better based on that.

You can't beat MSEP on nostalgia, but Spectro takes the cake on almost every other element. Even with the upgraded LEDs on MSEP, it still is quite behind what can be done with a parade these days.
    -Bill

^While I recognize and respect your opinion, Bill, I just find that the Electrical Parade, in my eyes, has more charm than Spectro.

I do have to agree with you, though, Spectro is more technologically advanced than the MSEP. My two gripes with it are: the color-changing floats, which I find distracting, and what I feel is lackluster music. There is no doubt that Spectro's theme is not the earworm that Baroque Hoedown is.

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by steve2wdw View Post
    The intro voice announces it as the Main Street Electrical Parade although as posters above have noted, the drum says Disney's Electrical Parade. And it's the cold/sterile Dreamlights music without the transition to orchestral. I'd like the parade a whole lot better if the original soundtrack was used.
    I second this.

I saw the parade on Tuesday. I still don't hear what you mean by the extra beat. But they ruined my favorite part. The speedy harpsichord-like part after the intro voice and before the main melody.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Don Dorsey did a presentation on this at the Disneyland Hotel Ballroom a while back with the Disneyland Alumni Club... called "The Secrets of the Main Street Electrical Parade."That is where the knowledge came from. I have yet to find a video of the event though.
    -Bill

• Suspended

Bill is right. I heard that podcast as well. The classic soundtrack had an extra beat. The parade performers counted in 2 or 4 (ex. 1,2,1,2, or 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) and this extra beat disrupted this pattern, requiring the performers to count 1,2,1,2,1,2,3,1,2,1,2 and so on. It just made it incredibly frustrating for them to keep time. I understand how that would be frustrating, but I still prefer the original