Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Country Bear Jamboree 2012 Edited Version Video

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Toad View Post
    Actually, ranting aside, I think this an important point to take a creatively critical look at, and I respectfully have to disagree that "even energy from beginning to end" is a good thing.
    Took the words right out of my muzzle. Comedy is all in the timing. The audience needs moments to anticipate and react.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

WDW used to work so well because experiences as varied as Space Mountain and CBJ provided variety, depth and texture. Now everything at WDW tries to race along at the same super-sugary, high-octane, hyperactive pace. The result is dull, robotic, and mind-numbing. The guest doesn't have a chance to catch their breath, relax, and take it all in.

Trying to make the Country Bear Jamboree speed along at the same pace as Space Mountain is a maddening, disheartening, monumental mistake. It's another chapter in the ongoing trend that reveals so very much about the lack of creative leadership at TDO and the Disney company at large.
    I think this is where we agree to disagree. While I do not think that the new CBJ has the same pace as Space Mountain, it also isn't as slow as it used to be.

What it comes down to, is that Disney is trying to serve it's guests, and my guess is that attendance figures at CBJ pre-edits proved that people were not interested in the show any more.

Do I think it would have been a much better idea to come up with a brand new show? YES a million times YES!

But do I think that these edits ruin the show, and make the attraction worthless? No

Am I more likely to watch the CBJ now than before? Actually yes.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

The physical tweaks are nice, but jesus christ, the pacing of the show is completely off now.

I blame Christopher Walken for this mess.

M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Team Hail HYDRA

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Two words:

Rizzo effect.
    sadly its true

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Minion

I personally like the changes for the most part and i don't think it will do anything but increase the popularity of the classic show. 2 problems i have with it currently that could possibly be fixed in the future:

1) give the "head crew" some things to say to entertain guests as a sort of pre/post show as people are being seated (think like the old guys in the Muppets). not only would this i think encourage people to move all the way to the end of the isle, but it would give some of my favorite characters a larger role. The beauty of it is it wouldn't increase the length of the show at all, it just entertains people for a longer time.

2) the finale scene needs like max 5-10 seconds more to give it a more definitive ending, if it had that it would do wonders for the show as a whole.

those two changes and this show IMO would be perfect.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I agree with your assessment 100% Goofy Donald!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Well, I can say I am still glad it's still there. They kept Big Al (but without his audio seemingly turned up 'properly' for the finale), Momma Don't Whup Little Buford, and Henry's performance of the Davy Crockett ballad, which all makes me happy.

However, as Virtual Toad said, I have to agree the pacing is way, way more 'Chuck E. Cheese' style and practically no illusion of life rendered with that method of cutting. That's sad. And the finale is just...what? That's it? So overall the choice behind how to cut it down is disappointing and feels like a mistake to me, cuts down on what gave the show personality and charm. The under-use of Max, Buff and Melvin is also a shame.

I saw the show one time and it was quite stale and ridiculously long. I wish they'd just get rid of it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

If they want to make it more 'zippy' and catchy music while retaining character, I always find that the Vacation Hoedown version just zips right along for me. Maybe mix in 'Blood on the Saddle' somehow for Big Al in that version and they'd have the perfect mix of the same characters and good songs/plenty of energy and slightly more enthusiastic musical numbers in some cases. But, this is what we have instead....

Pete Carsillo was part of this so THAT explains EVERYTHING. That man has as much disdain for classic WED as much as Tom Fitzgerald. Everything teh insiders have said about a major lack of talent at WDI-FL seems true.

• Marching along

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Pete Carsillo was part of this so THAT explains EVERYTHING. That man has as much disdain for classic WED as much as Tom Fitzgerald. Everything teh insiders have said about a major lack of talent at WDI-FL seems true.
    Who is this Pete guy? Please elaborate! I just looked at the WDI promo video about the rehab and was truly struck that a true classic such as CBJ was offered up for slaughter to a bunch of 20? 30? somethings.

My God, I must be getting old.

Walt Disney and Marc Davis worked together on CBJ. So after 40 years, a bunch of kids out of college know better than Davis and Disney???

And I'm not slamming these guys personally. The task they were handed was WAY over their heads. That resonsibility rests with TDO, including the guy who's got the ego-fulfilling portrait of himself in the new FL.

When I can put something together in my own backyard that's as least as entertaining as 2012 Disney-Lite (tm), something is horribly, horribly wrong.

• Minion

Who is this Pete guy? Please elaborate! I just looked at the WDI promo video about the rehab and was truly struck that a true classic such as CBJ was offered up for slaughter to a bunch of 20? 30? somethings.

My God, I must be getting old.

Walt Disney and Marc Davis worked together on CBJ. So after 40 years, a bunch of kids out of college know better than Davis and Disney???

And I'm not slamming these guys personally. The task they were handed was WAY over their heads. That resonsibility rests with TDO, including the guy who's got the ego-fulfilling portrait of himself in the new FL.

When I can put something together in my own backyard that's as least as entertaining as 2012 Disney-Lite (tm), something is horribly, horribly wrong.
    Carsillo was behind the latest Mansion changes with the interactive Hitchhiking ghosts and the My Special Day at Chuck-E-Cheese Fun Crypts.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post

What it comes down to, is that Disney is trying to serve it's guests, and my guess is that attendance figures at CBJ pre-edits proved that people were not interested in the show any more.

Do I think it would have been a much better idea to come up with a brand new show? YES a million times YES!
    I've never been there when the theater wasn't full to capacity.

The new costumes and fur skins are absolutely gorgeous. I would have loved to see the full show with the new look. Heck, I wouldn't have even minded losing Devilish Mary and the Fractured Folk Song. But the ending is just weird, and as others have pointed out, the dialogue was half the fun and made the characters more real.

I guess if I had to judge whether this is a plus or a minus, I'd say the bad and the good probably just about balance each other out.
    Last edited by ttintagel; 10-19-2012 at 04:27 AM.

• AKA - DisneyChris

Well - I guess instead of a "Fractured Folk Song," we get an entire show that is fractured. I cannot even begin to say how much this upsets me. Every edit that came up on the video made my heart jump - I am very sad about this. There can be no reason for this change. I understand why they took the Offenbach segment out of the Tiki Room, it did make the show feel a bit slow for modern audiences, and did not add all that much to to the overall show in general, but the Bear show was never dull, kids never squirmed in their seats. It had their full attention. I know as a kid I was transfixed by it. Also - did anyone notice they removed the fat jokes about Trixie? I am a bit of a tubby myself, and I am never offended by a good fat joke. If you cannot laugh at yourself, then get a life. They need to Chill-lax with all the P.C. nonsense.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    Also - did anyone notice they removed the fat jokes about Trixie? I am a bit of a tubby myself, and I am never offended by a good fat joke. If you cannot laugh at yourself, then get a life. They need to Chill-lax with all the P.C. nonsense.
    So to this. While the audio is missing, the heads on the wall, still move and talk, where the fat jokes are supposed to be. Now it is just kind of creepy them clapping away on the wall with no audio lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast