• formerly very helpful

Has it made a difference?

They announced that at Disneyland they will start enforcing Fastpass return times. I have no real problem with that. In fact, there is a lot of speculation that it could help speed up the standby lines. That's my hope. I also know that they already started enforcing the return times at Magic Kingdom at WDW. My question is has it made any difference in the standby return times? What do we have to look forward to in regards to this based on the Florida experience?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Has it made a difference?

No there has been really no impact to standby lines. Seem like people are just making their window times.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I think it will wind up being a much bigger deal at the DLR than at WDW, even if WDW is handling it ok. The culture at the DLR is vastly different from WDW, and with the DLR being a "locals park" I'm not too sure the average DLR guest will be able to adjust to this new policy as easily as the average WDW guest apparently has.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I think it will wind up being a much bigger deal at the DLR than at WDW, even if WDW is handling it ok. The culture at the DLR is vastly different from WDW, and with the DLR being a "locals park" I'm not too sure the average DLR guest will be able to adjust to this new policy as easily as the average WDW guest apparently has.
    I will agree with this assessment. The APs at DLR think they own the resort, so making them conform to any new rule, will result in A LOT of complaints at Guest Relations
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Pilot EdForceOne

DL's concentration of top attractions so close magnifies the problem of FP hording.. combined with the evening entertainment... influences greater 'evening surge' issues with FP. Those attractions are spread out at WDW at different parks.

I don't think the change will really result in shorter stand-by lines, but rather, more consistent FP lines. Consistency allows them to issue MORE FPs with predictable impact on the lines. I don't think a aim of this has ever been to reduce lines, but rather make FP more predictable.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Metro-Retro Historian

I think the reason this transition went so smooth in FL is because most guests are tourists and unless they are the type that plan every second of their trip and research how to get the most out of everything, they probably didn't know that the end times weren't enforced. I didn't even know about it until recently and I'm an obsessive Disney fanboy. The much more savvy regulars that dominate the California parks seemed to be taking advantage of the open-endedness of the old policy a lot more than us dumb tourists. I think the change will be a bit more noticeable there.

Though I will say, on my last trip down to Walt Disney World, I noticed the lines staying longer later. I thought people were just staying later but maybe it was people finally making use of those fastpasses they got at 9am and standby as always played the innocent victim.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• formerly very helpful

I wonder if enough AP holders will be aware of the enforcement, so they'll be ready to plan for it, rather than having to deal with the chaos of dealing with change.
    I think that would be rather optimistic.

People seem to keep saying that since the enforcement started, the standby wait times haven't really changed. The one thing I never hear are actual numbers, numbers. Just some anecdotes about how the lines "still seem just as long", as opposed to "Indiana Jones had an hour wait when they didn't enforce, and now it's an hour and fifteen". Also, the wait times are impacted by so many other factors that it may be hard to tell. Also, here's what I want to know: How has the enforcement affected the wait times during the last hour or two of park operations?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    People seem to keep saying that since the enforcement started, the standby wait times haven't really changed. The one thing I never hear are actual numbers, numbers. Just some anecdotes about how the lines "still seem just as long", as opposed to "Indiana Jones had an hour wait when they didn't enforce, and now it's an hour and fifteen". Also, the wait times are impacted by so many other factors that it may be hard to tell. Also, here's what I want to know: How has the enforcement affected the wait times during the last hour or two of park operations?
    i don't think your going to get exact numbers unless you ask someone in the company. whenever you see a posted wait time its a total estimate based on random card times from people in the line. the only thing your really going to get on here is 'feel' because thats all we can really go off of. I personally believe theres been a minor improvement but at the same time from what i saw at my last trip, they have made a much more concerted effort to put through fastpass guests over stand by guests making fastpass lines for sure faster and stand by lines a little bit faster although it could be even faster if they put less emphasis on the fat pass line.

• former CM

Good thread, sbk1234! Smart of you to start this in the Walt Disney World section.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    DL's concentration of top attractions so close magnifies the I don't think the change will really result in shorter stand-by lines, but rather, more consistent FP lines. Consistency allows them to issue MORE FPs with predictable impact on the lines. I don't think a aim of this has ever been to reduce lines, but rather make FP more predictable.
    If flynnibus is correct (& he usually is) this will shorten lines at the end of the day/night so Disneyland guests won't show up at Big Thunder & Space Mtn.s late in the evening and find 30-minute FP lines.

We were in the habit of collecting four of five FPs and riding some attractions two or three times in a
    row--like Buzz (no longer a FP at D land) where repeated rides improved skills & raised scores and increased fun. And Star Tours or Indy where the journey changes, or the Grizzly River Rapids, which can be fun two or three times in a row 'cause you never know who will get drenched. Yes, we'll miss that, but I think enforcing the closing window will improve the Disneyland experience overall. It was nice going on a few rides without waits on crowded afternoons, but it probably annoyed a couple of guests not using FP to see us pass them twice while they were waiting in line.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-27-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: past/present tense agreement