Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Dreams do come true

• -

"You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Re: Mermaids have been spotted

This is in WDW, not DL.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

• Banned User

Glad you pointed that out, I was wondering how I missed seeing them.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I saw them Sunday night and it was a pretty good effect. Better than I was expecting. Totally changes the mood of the opening scene of the ride. I like it.

• Selfie Expert

I like it! Far better integration, in my opinion, than the movie soundtrack/animatronic additions.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Shubisha

Not sure how it relates to the rest of the ride just adding a skeleton and new music.. Not opposed to it but there sure was a lot of buildup and hassle just for this.

The opening scene in WDW is so short. I still wish they'd bump the spookiness up a few dozen feet earlier and make the [insert davy jones or blackbeard] waterfall effect be covering the actual drop so that the beginning has some punch for once :P

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Not sure how it relates to the rest of the ride just adding a skeleton and new music.. Not opposed to it but there sure was a lot of buildup and hassle just for this.

The opening scene in WDW is so short. I still wish they'd bump the spookiness up a few dozen feet earlier and make the [insert davy jones or blackbeard] waterfall effect be covering the actual drop so that the beginning has some punch for once :P
    It's more than just a skeleton and new music... There are projections on the water that make it look like the mermaids are swimming in the water next to your boat!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Santana View Post
    It's more than just a skeleton and new music... There are projections on the water that make it look like the mermaids are swimming in the water next to your boat!
    This, Plus there's a splash effect that randomly goes off to make it look like the mermaid's tail/fluke has kicked up water on the surface. It's a short little scene, but it works quite well. Better than you might think.

• former CM

I'd like to see it in person, though I imagine it's cool from a video and photos I've seen.

However, the mermaid skeleton is about 2 or 3 feet too long on the tail end.
    This bothers me the way Ariel's ice cream cone hair did before it was replaced.
    What do Disney Imagineers have against mermaids?

I know the mermaids have really long tails in the movie, but most people riding POTC will have not seen that film. (I only saw the clip.) And unless one has seen the movie, the skeletal spine & tail will look waaaaaaaay too long. This great attraction should not be obedient to a mediocre (according to Metacritic.com) sequel.

Last edited by jcruise86; 10-24-2012 at 06:50 PM.

I didn't think the mermaid looked super long when i went on it the other day...
    http://camsidsneyadventure.blogspot.com
    ICP - Character Performer August 2012-2013

• former CM

I tried unsuccessfully to post a picture from the article.

I'm glad it didn't look weird to you in person. Actually my first reaction to it was. "Coo!" and that might have been my reaction had I passed it in a boat. But I stared at that photo and since our neighborhood is presently covered in human skeletons ('Tis the season) and since I've taught Anatomy & Physiology it just looked wrong to me. Also, I'm more familiar with cute mermaids than the monstrous mermaids in the Harry Potter (Book 4) or POTC sequels. I imagined that since this pirate skeleton was with a mermaid skeleton that they had found true love.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-24-2012 at 06:56 PM.

• Banned User

Can't wait to see these in person!

• I am not a Krusty Krab

This is something we need at Disneyland!!!! All in favour say I!!!

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

I personally think it's an interesting effect now seeing the video. Even in the clip I was able to notice that when you see the projection of the mermaid you can see some movement in the water and the little flip kind of movement when the mermaids tail looks as if it's moving upward for a brief moment. I'm sure it's quite a sight to see in person and would be interesting to see. Unfortunately, I think it will be awhile until my next visit to MK.

As for whether of the Mermaid's tails being too long, or not, I personally don't think the average park visitor would really notice, or care about the length. I personally wasn't thinking too much about it and the Mermaid's tails (in the film) look even longer than the skeleton we see in the boat.

I wish that they would stop adding things to the ride that are related to the films, however this addition I actually do like and it's more subtle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast