Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• We'll hold them at bay

Re: Avatar Plans Leaked

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Base on the info it looks like there will be 4 separated theaters. Is this correct? If so how big is 1 theater compared to 1 theater of Soarin? or 2 theaters compared to all of Soarin.
    I heard somewhere you rotate between theatres ala Carousel of Progress
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    ^ It's not the blueprints that are causing the negative reaction to Avatar, it's the context in which they were leaked: decade after decade of Disney cheaping out on its heritage of innovation, and increasingly using its theme parks as marketing malls for brands, brands and more brands. Why should anyone expect them to do anything different with Avatar?
    Or maybe people are extremely bitter against a company that is supposed to provide guilt-free fun, and they are looking for the first chance to throw them under the bus? Here's the context of this. Leaked blue-prints with zero context. Stop over-extrapolating. Save the DOOM AND GLOOM DOOM AND GLOOM DOOM AND GLOOM!!!!! until actual official information on the project is released. The people pointing out the fact that these will probably not even be used are correct.
    Bingo.
    Bingo? This is completely opinion. This is not a fact. Here's another opinion, Avatar's environmental theme fits in perfectly with Animal Kingdom. Here's another opinion, the people that wanted dragons and unicorns instead and bash Avatar for not fitting in are hypocrites.

• Heavy Breather

I just don't know. Im still on the fence about the whole Avatar thing.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Nothing to see here, move along.
    Last edited by Truecoat; 11-05-2012 at 07:16 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Cruise View Post
    Or maybe people are extremely bitter against a company that is supposed to provide guilt-free fun, and they are looking for the first chance to throw them under the bus? Here's the context of this. Leaked blue-prints with zero context. Stop over-extrapolating. Save the DOOM AND GLOOM DOOM AND GLOOM DOOM AND GLOOM!!!!! until actual official information on the project is released. The people pointing out the fact that these will probably not even be used are correct. Bingo? This is completely opinion. This is not a fact. Here's another opinion, Avatar's environmental theme fits in perfectly with Animal Kingdom. Here's another opinion, the people that wanted dragons and unicorns instead and bash Avatar for not fitting in are hypocrites.
    I can gladly say I'm not bitter against WDW and i love the place lol. this is the one place however ive chosen to take a firm stand. Animal kingdom is one of my favorite parks and this addition i believe would be a huge detriment to it. the fact is this is a park about the earth, its plants and animals, and their conservation, not aliens form other planets. no matter what connotations and themes the film contains, it will never be appropriate because it is alien. environmental themes just don't cut it. the main appeal to the park is its flow and intricate detail of the human world, this disrupts that. Im also not an individual who fits into your wild generalizations, i do not want beastly kingdom, however if they continued with the continental theme it would be a much better alternative. they've already done a phenomenal job with africa and asia, if they added australia or south america, there would be a far more appropriate addition that would be equal to anything they could create in Avatar. So yes I will "doom and gloom" about this one particular addition because its a sever detriment to the park and they should have done so so much better, not feel like they have to smash a franchise that doesn't fit into a park to try and make a quick buck they'll probably miss out on when the franchise inevitably falls out of favor with the general public. why not add something thats timeless?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    I can gladly say I'm not bitter against WDW and i love the place lol. this is the one place however ive chosen to take a firm stand. Animal kingdom is one of my favorite parks and this addition i believe would be a huge detriment to it. the fact is this is a park about the earth, its plants and animals, and their conservation, not aliens form other planets. no matter what connotations and themes the film contains, it will never be appropriate because it is alien. environmental themes just don't cut it. the main appeal to the park is its flow and intricate detail of the human world, this disrupts that. Im also not an individual who fits into your wild generalizations, i do not want beastly kingdom, however if they continued with the continental theme it would be a much better alternative. they've already done a phenomenal job with africa and asia, if they added australia or south america, there would be a far more appropriate addition that would be equal to anything they could create in Avatar. So yes I will "doom and gloom" about this one particular addition because its a sever detriment to the park and they should have done so so much better, not feel like they have to smash a franchise that doesn't fit into a park to try and make a quick buck they'll probably miss out on when the franchise inevitably falls out of favor with the general public. why not add something thats timeless?
    Again I'm getting a strong OCD vibe. Avatar has plenty of exciting creatures that will fit in with the theme, a theme that also includes a dragon the gate. The park isn't a zoo. It's also about fantasy. It isn't only just about animals either. It's also about the environment and plant-life, and Pandora certainly has a very captivating environment with eye-popping plant life. It's environmental theme fits the park like a glove. I seriously think the only reason people are pouting is because they're not shoving more Pixar down our throats and went with some with a wider appeal beyond strict Disney merchandising. Regardless, you are complaining now, but I'm sure you'll be in line every time you go to the AK in the future. The people that act like Camp Minnie Mickey is a better choice than a huge influx of investment into the park that will rapidly increase gate attendance need to get over their selves.

This thread isn't really about the blueprints anymore -- it is now yet another thread about whether Avatar belongs in a Disney park.

Going back to the original topic -- I think the inclusion of a Soarin'-like ride is appropriate and inevitable, given how much flying is done in the film. It would be interesting to see what the seating will be like. Will you be made to feel like you are riding one of the creatures from the film? Or like you're in a helicopter? I would hope for the former. There could be a pre-show element where you have to be paired with a creature. (I forget what they are called in the movie). Or, since the use of multiple screens is possible, there could be two segments - one where you fly to Pandora in a helicopter, then you become a Na'vi Avatar and fly on a creature.

I hope the boat ride has both indoor and outdoor portions, so we can see Pandora in sunlight and at night.

For those of you who hoped for more innovative ride technology -- got any ideas? I also wouldn't assume that these blueprints show everything about the rides. If there is anything truly groundbreaking, wouldn't they want to keep it under wraps until just before the rides open?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Cruise View Post
    Again I'm getting a strong OCD vibe. Avatar has plenty of exciting creatures that will fit in with the theme, a theme that also includes a dragon the gate. The park isn't a zoo. It's also about fantasy. It isn't only just about animals either. It's also about the environment and plant-life, and Pandora certainly has a very captivating environment with eye-popping plant life. It's environmental theme fits the park like a glove. I seriously think the only reason people are pouting is because they're not shoving more Pixar down our throats and went with some with a wider appeal beyond strict Disney merchandising. Regardless, you are complaining now, but I'm sure you'll be in line every time you go to the AK in the future. The people that act like Camp Minnie Mickey is a better choice than a huge influx of investment into the park that will rapidly increase gate attendance need to get over their selves.
    lol i love how you attempt to condemn someone with personal attacks for disagreeing with your opinion or not toting the company line. I think your still missing the big picture here. every park has a definition and its thematics are based around that definition and without it the park becomes a 6-flags with no vision or cohesive image, just a bunch of rides. thats what sets Disney apart and what we have come to expect as fans. It's what I love Animal Kingdom for, the attention to detail in such a huge space from theme all the way down to the brick work on the buildings. it makes you feel like your actually there for a second and the addition of an alien planet detracts from that. Now once it goes away from that definition (a celebration of our planet, its fauna and flora [as i included in my previous post you should really read more carefully], and their conservation) by bringing in Avatar the exact issue discussed earlier occurs, it detracts from the theme and creates a jumbled mess.

for example world showcase is a celebration of the countries of the world, that is its definition, would it be alright for them to include Genovia from the princess diaries as a new addition? this is on that scale of occurrence. i agree its not just a zoo "natazuh" and fantastical elements should be included, but to a certain degree of moderation like the park currently has and at least based in fantasy of this world. i don't think thats such an outrageous thing to suggest. again your generalizations are directed the wrong way. I have never suggested a disney-centric or pixar-centric concept, instead I would prefer a unique concept untied to any franchise such as australia or south america, again as i have suggested in the past. they have been extremely successful with africa and asia, why wouldn't they create something just as great with one of those concepts? also who's saying people would prefer camp minnie mickey? obviously there are adjustments that need to be made but that doesn't mean you should shove something that doesn't fit in there to solve the problem. for the money it cost them to buy the rights to avatar and construct the concept with james cameron they could have built one and been well on their way to building a second original concept. the executives got lost in the over inflated box office sales and are about to construct a land for a franchise with no staying power, a poor story line, and produces no merchandise. a loose loose for the front office and the fans. I'm sorry if your a big avatar fan and your obviously angry that other people don't agree with you but that's the way I and many others see things.

If Animal Kingdom were called "Disney's Earth" and about our planet's environments & creatures, you'd have a point.

But, here is the dedication, i.e., mission statement for the park:

"Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn."

Nothing there precludes extraterrestrial or sci-fi animals from being part of this park's greater theme.

My preference would be for original, non-franchise concepts based on imagined animals (aka BK revisited or something entirely new), but if there were to be a major live-action franchise injected into Animal Kingdom - while I prefer series such as Lord of the Rings and numerous others over it on a filmic and characters level - I can see that Avatar is more closely related to Animal Kingdom than any of these due to Gaia Theory, environmentalism, etc. being its core themes (whereas animals/nature are more peripheral in other major franchises). So I'm cool with Avatar so long as an emphasis is kept on the animal/nature piece so that it melds naturally with the park's larger themes, and I'm confident that will be the case. As someone else mentioned, it will be the park's "Tomorrowland".

• Nic

Animal Kingdom will not be re-named "Pandora Kingdom", the Tree of Life will not be replaced by the "Tree of Souls". If you think Avatar Land will destroy the theme of Animal Kingdom, don't go there, it won't interfere with the rest of the kingdom. At most, it'll add to the skyline of Animal Kingdom with the "Hallelujah Mountains", which will most likely be done beautifully.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Animal Kingdom will not be re-named "Pandora Kingdom", the Tree of Life will not be replaced by the "Tree of Souls". If you think Avatar Land will destroy the theme of Animal Kingdom, don't go there, it won't interfere with the rest of the kingdom. At most, it'll add to the skyline of Animal Kingdom with the "Hallelujah Mountains", which will most likely be done beautifully.
    Chesire, if you are as young as your photo, you are wiser beyond your years.
    Last edited by Truecoat; 10-29-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    oh and obviously that is an option I will definitely consider. its more disappointing then anything over wondering what could have been with all that money.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

oh and obviously that is an option I will definitely consider. its more disappointing then anything over wondering what could have been with all that money.
    These plans from the post that Flynn shared are also possibly incomplete...I don't like the idea of Avatar in a Disney park as much as you, but I'm still waiting to sit back and see what develops...

Also whatever is done if it's done with depth, thematically accurate, and engaging to the audience as Carsland I don't think you or anybody else would be crying foul... Personally if TDO and the DC brings the WOW factor for me to this project then I will more than likely enjoy it as much as anybody else, with or without the BLUE ALIENS...

I'm not about to go OCD and start overreacting to something that hasn't even had ground broken on yet...Heck look what Tom did with FLE when he saw what the full reaction and response was to the original FLE plans! He changed them, so that there would be something for EVERYONE to enjoy. I don't think if the concept would be that out of place, or ruin the MAJORITIES experiences at the AK, that he'd still allow the project to go through.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    These plans from the post that Flynn shared are also possibly incomplete...I don't like the idea of Avatar in a Disney park as much as you, but I'm still waiting to sit back and see what develops...

Also whatever is done if it's done with depth, thematically accurate, and engaging to the audience as Carsland I don't think you or anybody else would be crying foul... Personally if TDO and the DC brings the WOW factor for me to this project then I will more than likely enjoy it as much as anybody else, with or without the BLUE ALIENS...

I'm not about to go OCD and start overreacting to something that hasn't even had ground broken on yet...Heck look what Tom did with FLE when he saw what the full reaction and response was to the original FLE plans! He changed them, so that there would be something for EVERYONE to enjoy. I don't think if the concept would be that out of place, or ruin the MAJORITIES experiences at the AK, that he'd still allow the project to go through.
    Well personally i believe that its on that scale and ive supported that to a degree along with the fact that it was a large amount of money misspent as ive also supported with arguments, but to each their own. this is why i said i would consider boycotting the land. I am totally open to disney besting my expectations and creating something phenomenal that would make me put aside my principles to enjoy in the experience. however I just don't see them doing that and not only will it be a disappointment of a creation but out of place. again though the challenge is out there Disney, try and prove me wrong i beg of you for the common good, lets not let this money go to even more waste then it already has. DO. IT. RIGHT.

• A Dark Future

I am totally open to disney besting my expectations and creating something phenomenal that would make me put aside my principles to enjoy in the experience.
    This completely sums up my feelings as well.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast