Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Re: Avatar Plans Leaked

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Do you think Disney ever "accidentally" let's a simple concept plan or something like this leak out, and then their internal intelligence department gauges our reactions to it as to whether or not it's a good idea?
    Or is that just my normal every-day paranoia?
    I doubt they listen much to criticism here, similar reaction happen when they first announce Star Tours and then recently Carsland. Star Wars for years has now been recognized as a Disney property by most people and now it will. CarsLand has become one of the most popular additions to a Disney theme park in ages.

a few years from now when this new land is built and it amazes guests with its lush landscaping during the day and its amazing lighting at night the anger and criticism will move on to the next project Disney is working on.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    i for one do not enjoy lol, send these plans back to the terrible ideas folder from whence they came.
    I agree completely! It's enough for me to want to avoid WDW.

The Avatar purchase is Igers worst decision, so far, at the helm of Disney.

Can't believe they are wasting all this money on a project that has so little appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

Can't believe they are wasting all this money on a project that has so little appeal.
    I wish they would add a Titanic attraction in front of the American Adventure at Epcot.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by WesternMouse View Post
    I wish they would add a Titanic attraction in front of the American Adventure at Epcot.
    HA HA please make this a reality!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Master of Disaster

I didn't think that Disney owned the rights to Ferngully! I mean to make an entire land based on the live action version of Ferngully (aka avatar) is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    These plans from the post that Flynn shared are also possibly incomplete...

It was pointed out on another thread that these plans are probably ones given to someone providing HVAC and are as complete as they need to be for that contractor. I assure you they have very detailed plans we won't see.

Long before the Disney/Avatar deal was announced, on one of our regular Disneyland trips, my friend Nick said they should make "Soarin' over Pandora".

• Banned User

When you ride the movies, no one even cares about the storyline of Avatar. People are still impressed by the imagery of Avatar and the dragons. I don't much care for the blue aliens. The story is very similar to Pocohontas, which means it is actually a classic so people should not disparage a movie as being weak in storytelling when it isn't true.

I felt the original Star Wars had a weak storyline. The sequels fleshed the characters especially with The Empire Strikes Back.

With Avatar, the sequel should address the character concerns as well as the merchandising issue. The fact that characters and merchandise were secondary considerations means James Cameron focused on the important parts of Avatar. He made an engaging movie. This movie was popular and it was more popular in foreign countries.

Thus, WDW should get Avatar to attract its foreign clientele.

• film975

Avatar was visually stunning and the use of 3D in the film certainly was ground breaking. But I think Star Wars makes much more sense than Avatar. Mostly because it's geared much more towards family entertainment. And that's what Disney films and their parks are all about.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Avatar was visually stunning and the use of 3D in the film certainly was ground breaking. But I think Star Wars makes much more sense than Avatar. Mostly because it's geared much more towards family entertainment. And that's what Disney films and their parks are all about.
    For Animal Kingdom, Avatar is a better fit. Star Wars already has a home at the Studios Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post

Just to clarify Disney did not buy Avatar, Disney is just partnering with Cameron to use the Avatar property for theme park use. This is not the first time that they do that. Throughout many years of Disney history they have done that with other studios especially 20th century and MGM which is why they have been able to use several of their properties in Orlando and Anaheim.
    Last edited by Baloo; 10-31-2012 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zugzug15 View Post
    I didn't think that Disney owned the rights to Ferngully! I mean to make an entire land based on the live action version of Ferngully (aka avatar) is amazing!
    lol...:P
    For the love of Disney....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    When you ride the movies, no one even cares about the storyline of Avatar. People are still impressed by the imagery of Avatar and the dragons. I don't much care for the blue aliens. The story is very similar to Pocohontas, which means it is actually a classic so people should not disparage a movie as being weak in storytelling when it isn't true.

I felt the original Star Wars had a weak storyline. The sequels fleshed the characters especially with The Empire Strikes Back.

With Avatar, the sequel should address the character concerns as well as the merchandising issue. The fact that characters and merchandise were secondary considerations means James Cameron focused on the important parts of Avatar. He made an engaging movie. This movie was popular and it was more popular in foreign countries.

Thus, WDW should get Avatar to attract its foreign clientele.
    Space balls had the same general story line as star wars, does that make them equal films? the basic outline of a story is not the same as the actual telling of that story. Pocahontas IMO did a better job of telling their story but then again they did have a lot more to work with. Sure maybe they come up with something they can sell (although that would be kind of contradictory to the whole message of the movie but sure go ahead) and somehow their actors could get a little better at acting and become somewhat memorable, but the problem with the franchise right now is nothing popped out in the first film that made me think wow this is an amazing movie, I'm going to watch this over and over, it was more of a one and done thing. when that happens with your first movie you don't build a large enough fan base to sustain the series, Avatar is already doomed. this is why they've already canceled the third installment and wrap it up with #2, I mean its not even a trilogy anymore. look i understand it had nice visuals but if i want that ill watch Planet Earth, when i watch a movie I want escapism, to really get into that movie and feel for the characters. Avatar didn't have that and thats why nobody is talking about it today.

Space balls had the same general story line as star wars, does that make them equal films? the basic outline of a story is not the same as the actual telling of that story. Pocahontas IMO did a better job of telling their story but then again they did have a lot more to work with. Sure maybe they come up with something they can sell (although that would be kind of contradictory to the whole message of the movie but sure go ahead) and somehow their actors could get a little better at acting and become somewhat memorable, but the problem with the franchise right now is nothing popped out in the first film that made me think wow this is an amazing movie, I'm going to watch this over and over, it was more of a one and done thing. when that happens with your first movie you don't build a large enough fan base to sustain the series, Avatar is already doomed. this is why they've already canceled the third installment and wrap it up with #2, I mean its not even a trilogy anymore. look i understand it had nice visuals but if i want that ill watch Planet Earth, when i watch a movie I want escapism, to really get into that movie and feel for the characters. Avatar didn't have that and thats why nobody is talking about it today.
    First of all, they haven't cancelled the third movie.

"I'm in the Avatar business," said Cameron back in May. "Period. That's it. I'm making Avatar 2, Avatar 3, maybe Avatar 4." However, it now seems he's settling for 2 and 3, with producer Jon Landau confirming the next two films will shoot back to back.

Then in Sept, he says this....

"I have an idea for a fourth," Cameron told MTV. "I haven't really put pen to paper on it, but basically it goes back to the early expeditions of Pandora, and kind of what went wrong with the humans and the Na'vi and what that was like to be an explorer and living in that world."

Now to address your comments. You state this....

"but the problem with the franchise right now is nothing popped out in the first film that made me think wow this is an amazing movie, I'm going to watch this over and over, it was more of a one and done thing. when that happens with your first movie you don't build a large enough fan base to sustain the series, Avatar is already doomed."

You have your opinion on the movie and then apply it to everyone else. I, among many others, don't feel the same. I enjoyed the movie and saw it several times. Do I expect everyone to feel this way? No. I'll never go into the American Idol show but I know why they built it. The same is true for Avatar. There were a lot of people that saw the movie multiple times and they will be the ones that go specifically to Animal Kingdom to experience the rides and environments. Most everyone else will go because it's new and probably a lot of fun.

Is Avatar as good a property as Star Wars? Not even close but it is a world recognized success and will bring some people to the parks that may have never thought about it.

• Banned User

Space balls had the same general story line as star wars, does that make them equal films?
    Spaceballs is a parody. It is not to be taken seriously. It's the Saturday Night Live version with Mel Brooks. He did a pretty bad job of it, but many people do like Spaceballs. I felt Mel Brooks did better work in the past. Star Wars most borrows from John Carter, which is a classic. Star Wars is a weak imitation, but it improved with The Empire Strikes Back.

Avatar had a much stronger storyline and it stands on its own. I'm sure Avatar will get better with the sequels. Cameron is a fine storyteller. His sequels are actually better than the original. Terminator 2 comes to mind.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast