Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    No, we're bright enough to realize when one idea is better than another idea.
    hahaa exactly +1. with all due respect Jungle Cruise, please stop attacking people who aren't fans of the Avatar movie like yourself. It just doesn't have the staying power and its fallen off the public radar, it certainly is not one of the greats and will not live on as an icon in history. this is a far better idea with arguably the biggest film franchise in the world and i for one am extremely excited with the purchase. lets save the money on avatar and throw it all at lucas world. DHS needs the work more then AK, i think we can all agree on that.

I hope they still make some kind of Avatar attraction. Theres alot there to work with. But Star Wars is a whole series, running for decades. If they make a Lucasland, ....wait for it...................AMERICAN GRAFFITTI !!!!!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    lets see Star Wars Land !!!
    This is something I could get behind. Indy and the Skywalkers really feel like they belong at Disney.

• Nerd.

Just saw this on a friend's FB wall. Not sure who to credit, but it sure makes me long even more for a Star Wars Land. Cars Land, what? (And NO I don't condone removing Spaceship Earth! hehe)

Name:  2d26qlx.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  56.7 KB

Anyone know where that is from or who it is from?

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
    Just saw this on a friend's FB wall. Not sure who to credit, but it sure makes me long even more for a Star Wars Land. Cars Land, what? (And NO I don't condone removing Spaceship Earth! hehe)

Name:  2d26qlx.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  56.7 KB

Anyone know where that is from or who it is from?
    I'll somewhat take credit.... Been my avatar for years.

Seriously though. Lets go Star Wars land! AT-AT walkers adventure.... Ok maybe not, but man what great potential!
    Last edited by Coastierox; 10-30-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Heavy Breather

Did anyone see the "announces Episode 7" part? Seven?!?! Bad idea, bad idea.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I hope its more like 3.1 the only interesting story left to tell is the gap between the end of 3 and start of 4. For myself no Vader no point!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Insomniac

2006 Disney buys Pixar

2009 Disney buys Marvel

2012 Disney buys Lucasfilm

Sensing a trend?

2015 Disney buys New Line Cinema, Wingnut films, etc. (Lord of the Rings)

2018 Disney buys Star Trek

2021 Disney buys Pokemon

2024 Comic Con becomes a D23 event.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    hahaa exactly +1. with all due respect Jungle Cruise, please stop attacking people who aren't fans of the Avatar movie like yourself. It just doesn't have the staying power and its fallen off the public radar, it certainly is not one of the greats and will not live on as an icon in history. this is a far better idea with arguably the biggest film franchise in the world and i for one am extremely excited with the purchase. lets save the money on avatar and throw it all at lucas world. DHS needs the work more then AK, i think we can all agree on that.
    It's the most successful movie of all time. I don't even have to be a fan of the film to know that's a sure bet. Anyone that would write off the highest grossing movie of all time as unpopular is ignorant. If that is your stance, I have no problem saying you are extremely ignorant. If some of the fans like yourself ran the company, it would have gone under already. All the Star Wars fans can rejoice, but the big investment is going to be in Avatar in WDW. That's not going to change because of this acquistion. Simiarly, no "Marvel lands" have been announced so far either. So the people who begrudge the best selling film of all time get ready to enjoy your theme park attractions of it in the Animal Kingdom. It's not going anywhere and your childish grudge against it means nothing.

• Insomniac

^^The question is not was the film successful. The questions most raise is its lasting power. I have seen the film probably 10 times and I still couldn't tell you any characters beyond Jake Sulley. Most can't even remember than many names. Star Wars has so many memorable characters that even people who haven't seen the films know who they are. If the characters are not memorable will the franchise have staying power? Yet to be seen but it warrants the question which is not normal for a film that made so much money.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    ^^The question is not was the film successful. The questions most raise is its lasting power. I have seen the film probably 10 times and I still couldn't tell you any characters beyond Jake Sulley. Most can't even remember than many names. Star Wars has so many memorable characters that even people who haven't seen the films know who they are. If the characters are not memorable will the franchise have staying power? Yet to be seen but it warrants the question which is not normal for a film that made so much money.
    This was the issue I always had with Avatar. It does feel like even with sequels in the works that people have already seem to have forgotten this film. And in order to compete with a franchise mammoth like Harry Potter you need a franchise mammoth of near equal value...not just in box office revenue but in public appeal, timeless factor, merchandising, pop culture etc. Star Wars is the only franchise that I can see competing with though I think either way Disney has jumped on the bandwagon too late. All the attempts that Disney has tried to compete with HP (Carsland, new Fantasyland) are small potatoes. They'll need to execute their use of the Lucasfilm stuff carefully to pull this off right.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Exactly right. Avatar has no memorable characters, no merchandise and no legs. The Disney marketeers saw boffo B.O. and got all hot n' bothered that this was the horse to bet on -- ignoring the fact that in the years it'll take before the sequel comes out, the technical advances that made Avatar a hit will be commonplace (and will have been used by directors who have more storytelling and writing abilities than the mega-egotistical Mr. Cameron). Once again, Disney grabs for the gold after its peak has passed. "Avatarland" is typical of the kind of "vision" you get when you have beancounters like Tom Staggs calling the shots. Throw in the fact that Disney doesn't own the Avatar franchise (but owns Lucas), and the fact that Cameron is a budget-buster who Doesn't Collaborate Well With Others, and there's no doubt it ain't gonna happen. "Avatarland" is vaporware, folks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    They are considering 3 more movies. Essentially another set, but no word if they are all sequential.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    I wonder if he kept the merchandising rights...?
    Looking at the deal I think he sold the rights. However it's a cash and stock deal so he'll get some of Disney's profit as an owner of Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    hah fans of the Avatar movie like yourself. It just doesn't have the staying power and its fallen off the public radar, it certainly is not one of the greats and will not live on as an icon in history.
    While Avatar has come an gone, they are making more so it's not done.

However there is a great things about Star Wars and Indy.

Star Wars came out for one generation and again for thier children. Indy is semi like that but more spread out, of course he has another movie in the works. The new Indy movie that was rumored was probably part of this deal.

At this point the rather generic all encompassing Star Tours that goes to planets from a bunch of movies, and Indy exploring a temple in jeeps, take away from a possible ride per movie project.

• Banned User

Yeah, let's bet against the success of Avatar 2 and its sequels. I'm sorry the highest grossing film of all time that a lot of its audience saw 3 or 4 times is already enough of a track record. That would be like pumping out a hundred barrels of oil and then giving up because you think the likelihood there is more is too low. You are grasping at straws and this argument is ridiculously laughable. As for Star Wars, it's going to need some rehabbing after Lucas's terrible prequels to get back in the kind of shape to be an actual contender for how well Avatar 2 will likely perform.

• Metro-Retro Historian

I for one can't wait for Endor to become a land at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

In all seriousness, the part of this that is the most interesting for me is that Disney is also getting Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker sound out of this deal. They get Lucas Arts too, but that's not as exciting...Unless the parks get a Guybrush Threepwood face character.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast