Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Star Wars - 5th Gate?

With the purchase of Lucasfilm, does Star Wars warrant a 5th Gate at WDW? Marvel could fill in DHS, Avatar would stay at AK, but would adding a 5th Gate make WDW a more dominant full week destination to the detriment of Universal/WWoHP?

As a West Coast resident...... does Disney's new acquisition have implications for the rumored 3rd Gate?

Seems to me the possibilities are endless now, Disney's hoard of IP is becoming daunting...... Is anyone in the market for New Line Cinema/rights to Tolkien?

• Banned User

Re: Star Wars - 5th Gate?

Not happening. And if everyone is clamoring for Star Wars attractions, than why has Star Tours II not raised DHS gate attendance a single iota?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by sdjeff4sc View Post
    With the purchase of Lucasfilm, does Star Wars warrant a 5th Gate at WDW? Marvel could fill in DHS, Avatar would stay at AK, but would adding a 5th Gate make WDW a more dominant full week destination to the detriment of Universal/WWoHP?
    Marvel can't be used at DHS or WDW, until Disney buys out Universals theme park rights.

For ages Indy and Star Wars lands have been rumored for DHS since it has Star Tours and an Indy stunt show. Does this add more fuel to the fire, only on the net, it could of happened before if that was what Disney wanted to do to grow DHS. Now it's Cars.

As a West Coast resident...... does Disney's new acquisition have implications for the rumored 3rd Gate?
    I wrote on that side that those franchises have a lot of room to grow. They could each make great lands, but already have DL attractions. Also by their nature, a space and explorer franchise, it could looks like copies or Tomorrowland and Adventureland.

Seems to me the possibilities are endless now, Disney's hoard of IP is becoming daunting...... Is anyone in the market for New Line Cinema/rights to Tolkien?
    It is rather amazing that LOTR hasn't gotten US theme park attraction. Though US is probably busy with Harry Potter and not looking for another large aquisition. Disney may be shopping it, since Marvel, Avatar and now Lucas have been brought in. Maybe Tolkien doesn't want to sell out.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Lucasfilm properties should stay in DHS and help improve that park. Keep Marvel out since Universal has theme park rights to it on the east coast. No 5th gate. People already have a hard enough time trying to make a vacation out of four parks.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

It's not happening. They can't even manage the parks they have. They don't need another one.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Metro-Retro Historian

I think a Lucasfilm section of Disney Hollywood Studios is far more likely. Especially since the skeleton of one already kind of exists at the eastern end of the park. They just need to expand it and take out the "hot set" theme to make it official.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Marvel can't be used at DHS or WDW, until Disney buys out Universals theme park rights.

For ages Indy and Star Wars lands have been rumored for DHS since it has Star Tours and an Indy stunt show. Does this add more fuel to the fire, only on the net, it could of happened before if that was what Disney wanted to do to grow DHS. Now it's Cars.

I wrote on that side that those franchises have a lot of room to grow. They could each make great lands, but already have DL attractions. Also by their nature, a space and explorer franchise, it could looks like copies or Tomorrowland and Adventureland.

It is rather amazing that LOTR hasn't gotten US theme park attraction. Though US is probably busy with Harry Potter and not looking for another large aquisition. Disney may be shopping it, since Marvel, Avatar and now Lucas have been brought in. Maybe Tolkien doesn't want to sell out.
    Tolkien always dispised Disney for Americanizing the Fairy Tales he grew up with.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    Tolkien always dispised Disney for Americanizing the Fairy Tales he grew up with.
    Also hasn't the family said that if they sold the rights it would NEVER be to Disney?

I think Star Wars would definitely be a stronger larger themed land, the parks that they have are already enough to warrant people paying the ticket price, and I think this would just overall further dilute the attendance at the four other parks in the resort.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

The business case for the 5th park just isn't there. I wrote this in 2008 in regards to a 5ht park.

5th Park for WDW

Just to show the potential for growth within the current parks lets look at the yearly attendence with the average daily attendence and a guesstimated max capacity.

I hope this makes sense.

Magic Kingdom
    Yearly attendence: 17,060,000
    Average daily attendence: 46,739
    Maximum Capacity: 70,000

EPCOT
    Yearly attendence: 10,930,000
    Average daily attendence: 29,945
    Maximum Capacity: 85,000

Disney Hollywood Studios
    Yearly attendence: 9,510,000
    Average daily attendence: 26,045
    Maximum Capacity: 45,000

Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Yearly attendence: 9,490,000
    Average daily attendence: 26,000
    Maximum Capacity: 38,000

So you can see that there is a lot of room for growth with the theme parks. Of course you don't want it running a capacity every day (well as a business owner you do) but you want to increase the crowd levels and ability to accept form guests.

Clearly if you are looking at it from a percentage of occupancy point of view EPCOT is the biggest failure!

But with DAK and DHS you would want to open space, so that you could increase the potential for more guests.

Anyways just fun with numbers.
    So until the parks are close to their actual max capacity, there just isn't a business case to build a 5th park.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

Someone at WDWMagic brought up this point: What if those Carsland plans for the Studios aren't actually for Carsland?

What if instead, Radiator Springs were to become Tatooine with the Racers ride being based around Podracing and the Mos Eisley Cantina replacing Flo's?
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Someone at WDWMagic brought up this point: What if those Carsland plans for the Studios aren't actually for Carsland?

What if instead, Radiator Springs were to become Tatooine with the Racers ride being based around Podracing and the Mos Eisley Cantina replacing Flo's?
    I'm indifferent to the concept of podracing but can see this being cool if done well. If the Mos Eisley Cantina gets built, I will be there in a heartbeat. Especially if Bea Arthur is working the bar instead of that guy with the skin condition.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    It's not happening. They can't even manage the parks they have. They don't need another one.
    Agreed! :P
    For the love of Disney....

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    The business case for the 5th park just isn't there. I wrote this in 2008 in regards to a 5ht park.

5th Park for WDW

So until the parks are close to their actual max capacity, there just isn't a business case to build a 5th park.
    I think you're looking at the wrong benchmark. There is a business case for a 5th park if the remaining 3 parks increase their Average Daily Attendance to be closer to the Magic Kingdom, perhaps 35K or 40K is realistic. The maximum capacity is just there for information. Seldom will they ever reach the maximum capacity.

The best reason to avoid the 5th park is canibalization. People will make the choice to visit fewer parks instead of all of them. The business case actually defeats the purpose of the 5th park. The infrastructure, the labor, and the maintenance costs is just too high to justify investment especially when the impact on the 5th park lowers attendance of the other lesser parks.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Cruise View Post
    Not happening. And if everyone is clamoring for Star Wars attractions, than why has Star Tours II not raised DHS gate attendance a single iota?
    I haven't seen the numbers. Do you have them?

As much as I would really really like a Star Wars park, I'm also able to think logically. Epcot has entire pavilions rotting away, and only two rides in world showcase. Magic Kingdom is shaping up with its new expansion, so well done there. Animal Kingdom is great, but not yet a full day park. But all know about THOSE plans...*cough*

Hollywood Studios is a mess. It looks great when you walk in, and then just falls apart. The studio theme isn't working and the park itself is a jumbled mess. And this is why I don't want a 5th park. As many, many people have said by now, let's fix what's already there! The most popular idea that I agree with is turning the section of Hollywood Studios that houses the Indy stunt show and Star Tours into a Lucas Land of some sort! (Just please don't call it that.) Expand both properties where both properties already exist in the park! Looking at google earth, they could push out into the parking lot pretty easily, and relocate a few backstage buildings.

But changing Hollywood Studios from a park about making movies into a park that just puts you into the movies seems like the best and easiest ideas. Then later we can add Australia to Animal Kingdom and implode the Wonders of Life pavilion.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    News coming out Thursday from Universal........Disney buying the Universal theme park rights....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast