Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarzan Go Boom.

Tarzan Go Boom.

I caught the Noon performance of Tarzan Rocks at Animal Kingdom today. During the sequence where Jane is introduced, Tarzan clasps on to two straps attached to ropes that are supposed to swing him around the stage in circles.

Before he could make it through one full rotation, the straps appeared to give way (or he lost his grip) and he went crashing into the three singers on the elevated platform. He got up quickly and ran forward, but then acquired a look on his face that caused him to look as if he was in great pain and then ran off.

I initiated some clapping for all their good efforts because it seemed obvious that Tarzan wasn't coming back. Some of the cast looked around nervously and improved a little and then the curtain literally closed on them and a canned spiel was played: "Ladies and Gentleman, due to unforseen circumstances, this performance of Tarzan Rocks has been cancelled."

Re: Tarzan Go Boom.

I've never seen the show. I thought the whole show was cancelled anyway. I was hoping it'd go away. My parents thought it was awful.
    WDWCP - Spring 2006 - Character Performer
    College Program Alumni - Spring Adv 2005
    Living Seas and Soarin' Greeter

• I was deleted.

Hmm.. that's interesting to hear. I've always wondered about that happening with the show. Personally, I love that show-- it's my favorite one on property. I know it is ending soon and it's last show is when EE opens, but this is still bad news overall. Poor Tarzan.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Never seen that show either but I didn't care for the movie and I can't stand Phil Collins' music (except when he was with Genesis). But I hope the guy who was playing Tarzan is okay! That must have been freaky to see... yet the menatal image of it in my head made me giggle a little. Yes I'm mean.

• Banned User

all i can say is OUCH and I hope tarzan wasn't hurt too bad. I saw the show several years ago and my favorite part was that part. it was like a disney circ du soleil. really a cool effect. but if he fell far enough, you could break something. the show as a whole was fun and I hope the rumors are wrong about a finding nemo show going into the theatre, that really wouldn't fit the area, IMHO

• I Hug My Tapirs

Ouch! That sounds like a nasty one. I can see how that number could really hurt someone, too. Used to watch that show on my lunch breaks.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Minion

ORDDU: Oh, my goodness!! This is the first my sisters and I have heard anything about this!! Tarzan is my hero, you know! I'm going to have to follow up with him to make sure he's okay. I hope he didn't have to be hospitalized--but just in case he was--I'd be more than happy to be his bedside nurse for all three shifts until he's fully recuperated. (No doubt this whole thing can be traced back to Jane--because, Lord knows, she's certainly always interfering with me and MY plans--getting in the way of every one of them!!!)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by iAmJacksDLand
    I caught the Noon performance of Tarzan Rocks at Animal Kingdom today. During the sequence where Jane is introduced, Tarzan clasps on to two straps attached to ropes that are supposed to swing him around the stage in circles.

Before he could make it through one full rotation, the straps appeared to give way (or he lost his grip) and he went crashing into the three singers on the elevated platform. He got up quickly and ran forward, but then acquired a look on his face that caused him to look as if he was in great pain and then ran off.

I initiated some clapping for all their good efforts because it seemed obvious that Tarzan wasn't coming back. Some of the cast looked around nervously and improved a little and then the curtain literally closed on them and a canned spiel was played: "Ladies and Gentleman, due to unforseen circumstances, this performance of Tarzan Rocks has been cancelled."
    Bummer! Not just for Tarzan, but for you! This is my favorite show at the AK and it's on the chopping block.

• Banned User

>>Tarzan go BOOM<<

My heart goes double-BOOM everytime I see HKDL's Tarzan on "Golden Mickeys"... hubba hubba!!! Some masculine specimen he is!!!
    (swoon)

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I remember when I went to WDW in 2000, we saw the Festival of the Lion King (call me crazy, but I don't remember the theater being enclosed back then) and the day after we did AK, we heard about one of the trampoline monkeys getting hurt. I wonder how often that happens...

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate
    I remember when I went to WDW in 2000, we saw the Festival of the Lion King (call me crazy, but I don't remember the theater being enclosed back then) and the day after we did AK, we heard about one of the trampoline monkeys getting hurt. I wonder how often that happens...
    You're not crazy. It wasn't enclosed til sometime in late 2003.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Captain Hooks 2nd Mate...

just an update... talked to a fellow cast member...tarzan is alright, just some cracked ribs... i was hearing rumors that his legs broke and that that the show would be closing early... but that is not the case... we saw the show a few days after, minus the rigging... they made up a routine on the vine, in which Jane spins and spins and spins... still amazing... also, they took out all arial stunts in FOLK (aka Festival of the Lion King), sans tumble monkeys... so the birds had a little dance routine... hope this helps!!
    least reputation points on MiceChat!!!

• Creative Director

they aren't taking out all the ariel acts in WDW shows are they?
    I hope not permanently.

though Tarzan closes in a few weeks anyway.

• The one, the only...

I am glad that the CM was all right. I think we tend to forget that this is a performance of a real person and it really does not matter whether you like the Tarzan character or not.

I am thankful that he was not seriously injured. I am sure that we all would be hurting big time if we fell from the same height. The fact that he came back to work so quickly shows true dedication. That should be applauded.

Since the show is closing, I want to thank all the very talented CM's, including the actor who played Tarzan, for all their wonderful work. I thought it was a great show. I wish them all the very best. Thank you for entertaining so many people these last years.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• fantasmic kid

yeah stage injuries are no fun
    i feel fantasmic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast