Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Animal Kingdom's train.

I figured with all these other Animal Kingdom threads going on, I'd like to discuss the train.
    I personally find the train at AK one of my favorite rides. But it always drives me nuts that it leaves Africa and abandons the themeing and becomes a backstage tour. I don't really like seeing the backstage of the safari, nor am I really concerned with the storing of the animals. I would have like the whole Africa themeing to continue, maybe not as a safari but at least a ride with a story (and no stop at Conservation Station).
    What do you think? Good as it is or would you have liked to see themeing continue on it?

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

Re: Animal Kingdom's train.

That idea seems fine, but then you would have to deal with the question of why there is a train in the middle of Africa.

• Minion

I don't mind seeing the behind the scenes stuff. I can see what you mean, though, about wanting the theming to continue. It just doesn't bother me to see the cages and handlers going about their jobs.

• Minion

I haven't been on this attraction since it openned, but the idea was to get the behind the scenes, animal care-taking and wildlife conservation aspect of the animal kingdom. Maybe it shouldn't be part of Africa, per se, but it's own little land. Be glad you had animal cages to look at. When we went we saw a big mural! The park had only been open a month.

• Banned User

The train was meant as a transition out of the themed area into the real world ... hence why there is a gradual change when you get on the train. At the beginning it's all themed... then you begin to see fences... then roads... then gates and buildings and the back of the safari... it's actually pretty creative if you ask me. Though I'd love a train that gets robbed during the ride... not really at AK, but somewhere. Ha!

I totally agree. I think the theming ON the train is fantastic and I love the idea...but like you said...the transition is awful. That could be a fantastic themed train ride, but I don't really care about the backstage of the park. Although, it is interesting that they take in all the animals on the safari at night.

We had the chance during the holidays to go on the train really late (well, 7pm is really late at AK). We had the entire train car to ourselves and it was cool ride at night.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Though I'd love a train that gets robbed during the ride... not really at AK, but somewhere. Ha!
    OT - Have you ever done the train ride around Stone Mountain in SE Tennessee? They do a train robbery, and while it's not a bad idea, the execution is just so lame that you almost cry because of the time that they just wasted!!!

• e komo mai

I totally missed out on the train when I went in 2000. D'oh! Didn't even know there was a train...

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

GC has a point. MANY visitors miss the train to Conservation Station.

1) They need to make Conservation Station a better destination.
    2) There needs to be an alternate walk way to get there.
    3) I agree that the train should keep the Africa theme the entire journey
    4) Perhaps there should be a special animal enslosure that you ONLY see from the train (thus giving people an extra reason to ride).

For me, the problem has always be Conservation Station. I can't stand it. It reminds me of a cheap version of a worlds fair conservation kiosk. Yuck.

Rides, WE WANT RIDES. Disney needs to stop preaching so much. People don't like preachy movies (Wonders of life, The Land, The Living Seas, and Conservation Station all suffer from this)
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

Ahem... I for one, simply loved "The Seas." (The movie that played in "The Living Seas." It was filmed in some great locations like the Caribbean, the big island of Hawaii and Maui just to name a few...

• Minion FOREVER!

Actually, a couple of misconceptions posted here...
    * there are trains in Africa
    * there are conservation areas and viewing areas in Africa

However, I completely agree that they could/should have kept up with the theming to be still Africa. albeit a more modern one.

BTW. I think the lack of the walkway is precisely because of the
    radical change in theming between Africa and the Conservation station.

Completely agree that having something unique to see on the train would help
    attendance on it. Cave? Projected Mt Kilimanjaro?

Finally, completely agree on the "preachy-ness" of that area. There's a fine
    line between education and "preachy", and they've crossed it there.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Ha ha I didn't even want to touch on Conservation Station, I mean I don't get off the train if I don't have to. That area is just... yuk.

I have to go with Bill, there was something unique about the Seas movie. Though Circle of Life is preachy.

Though Dusty brings up a good point about Conservation Station and a walkway. I realize that CS (or Rafiki's Planet Watch as it is called now) was once supposed to sit behind two safaris (one in Asia one in Africa) but why make a land like that that is so far away from everything to begin with? Thats what kills me. And AK is supposed to have other expansion "pads" that are in a similar situation to CS...far away. I just don't get that.

As far as guests finding the train...it's too hidden. If its gonna be in the back of Harambe you should see it at least.

Oh but there are real trains in Africa. You even go under "tracks" for one in the red clay pit on the Safari. Look up.

• Banned User

Dusty,

I'm going to have to agree with Bill. "The Seas" was a bit preachy, but in such a splendidly exagerated manner, that people came to love it.

The drama in the film manages to be absurd, but intriguing.

Everyone remembers that is rained.. and rained.. and rained... the Deluge!

• Banned User

It rained and it rained.... I hated that film. Glad to know is gone.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

The train is a transition. Africa is Africa...Conservation Station and all that is the real world. You use the train to escape the theming of Africa and travel back to see where Disney's actually working with animals in the real world.
    K, so as former CM of Conservation Station I'd just like to say that the people that don't get off the train made my job miserable. There is a lot to see and do at CS. The misconseption is that it's just for children (mostly due to the Affection Section).
    The train is simply transportation and if you're not getting off of it and exploring the area, there's no real point to getting on it in the first place. You're going to see the backstage area and you're going to see some cruddy little huts and then you're going to be POed tha that's it. You just screw up the numbers and make it impossible to keep the trains on schedule (esp. during the busy season when the trains are full coming and leaving and because of those that don't get off, our line was to CS).
    However, I do agree that there needs to be a walkway to Asia (you have no idea how many times I got asked if a person could walk to asia). The only problem with this idea is that it's a very very long walk (I've heard close to a mile).
    Sorry, I kind of went into rant mode there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast