Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Fixin' the Escalator in the Land Pavilion

I agree with Imagineer Meg, could the escalator been turned off to help with traffic? I know my wife and mother in law both have a horrible time getting on an escalator, which backs up the lines of those trying to get on it. On top of that, most people can walk up the stairs faster than one can ride an escalator. Turning off an escalator and allowing people to use it as a stairway would move more people quicker, like when a show lets out, to clear the crowds quicker.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Escalators (or should I say speed ramps?) used to be out all the time in Disneyland, even back in the "good old days". I remember sometimes having to occasionally walk up the speed ramps at the exits of the HM and also SM. And I remember the speed ramps at the entrance of SM always seemed to be out.

So I don't see how this can be very "un-Disney" since I remember this happening back when you never had to put the un in there at all.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I have also noticed that the escalator at the Land is broken down quite a bit over the past few years. But, then, we've also noticed a lot of other things not working correctly across the property--attractions and rides that sit neglected for reasons we aren't privy too--such as the Carosel of Progress, Splash Mountain, The Great Movie Ride, etc. We agree with you, Dan, that there is no excuse to let these things go unrepaired for such lengthy periods and we're not afraid to complain just because certain others would prefer we remain silent. To pretend things are all right when they aren't is ludicrous and anyone who pays as much money as Disney is charging for everything has a right to complain!!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

When Disney World is marvelous, let the praises ring out.

When Disney World is not, don't be afraid to sound the alarm.

I agree with Dan on the situation. Whether it's a minor mechanical problem, or a major one they should be able to fix it whether it's a short period of time, or it requires a lengthy period of time.

It's not only, because Disney has the people to complete such a task, but has the money and also is needed to control traffic as it has been brought up. The last time I was at EPCOT the traffic was ridiculous when it came to that pavillion. It was flooded with people.

If it is actually a really serious mechanical problem and don't want people to really see them operating on it, or do not want to create a hazard they can try to fix it during the time of which the park is closed. It would cause for more hours of course, but it should be done. What's the point of it being there if they're not going to try to fix it? They might as well make stairs. They have the people and the money to fix it, whether it's a minor problem in the system, or a major one.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    escalator was still broken in late october, around the 20th. It breaks often but usually it's back up in a day or so.
    I was there on the 21st and it was broken then too. I'll be at WDW for a few days at the end of this week. Will report back if it's working or broken.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Why do we care about these things? We are just ordinary mortals...just the public...the "general" public...it's none of our business I suppose. Still, for reasons that have grown in us deep inside over our entire lifetimes...well... we love Disney. It has been a part of our lives all of our lives.

The young whippersnappers around today I suppose just simply have no concept of the love Walt Disney put into his movies...his theme park, and his dreams for the future. He spared no expense to make sure things were just right...always fresh and new. He put his heart and soul into his company...and it showed. He genuinely cared about people.

And, as a result of that perhaps, us ordinary mortals loved Walt Disney and the gifts he gave us over the years. Back in those days...we saw his love in every little detail...and we appreciated that love, that care, that concern for every guest...

When he told us about his dreams for Walt Disney World you could see his enthusiasm in his eyes...when Walt had a dream...well, magic really was about to happen...

So...us old timers remember... we remember that love, that care, that attention to every detail, that philosophy. That, to us, is the foundation that the whole Walt Disney Company was built and thrived on...

It's impossible to explain, really. I can only say that our love for Walt Disney was and is
    real...honest...deep down...and true. He knew how to make folks happy...and he dedicated his entire lifetime to doing it. That's why, all these years later, when we walk into one of Walt Disney's Dreams...like Disneyland, or Epcot...something warm and wonderful wells up deep inside us. Love...I reckon. Real, honest to gosh, genuine, authentic, love. And, respect too...for the memory of a man who brought so much joy, inspiration, and happiness into our lives...into our world. Make no mistake...the magic we feel...the love we feel is real.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 11-11-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I was there on the 21st and it was broken then too. I'll be at WDW for a few days at the end of this week. Will report back if it's working or broken.
    I was there on the 19th and it was broken. It seems as if whenever I've been to EPCOT it's been broken. I'm sure there are times when it is fully operating, but I don't recall ever seeing both escalators working properly. However, I admit that I do not go as much as some others might be.

And Dan I love your passion and heart about Disney and Walt. I definitely wish I was able to see not only Disney World when it first opened, but Disneyland as well and was able to watch The Wonderful World of Disney (or Disneyland when it first came out) when I was a kid. Walt not only had that spark, passion, and love for his park, but he had always seemed like such a perfectionist and always wanted things to be perfect and always seemed to try things out.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Should we start a "Land Pavilion Escalator Watch" thread?

• Koubu Pilot

I used to work at Sears during the first half of the 2000s. I transferred to a new store and the escalator there, despite being new, would break down. Sometimes a guy different from the one who usually handled maintenance problems in the store would have to come out and fix it. But a lot of the time the escalator would stop because of weight on the ends of the escalator. Apparently, they can detect when there's too much weight and stop. This is for safety because it could happen if someone fell and couldn't get up. The escalator wouldn't know the difference between a person falling and a person jumping the bottom of the escalator and landing hard enough to trigger an "E stop". Before a manager or loss prevention could turn the escalator back on, it has to be empty to prevent the risk of someone losing their balance and falling off their step during the restart.

This may not explain why the escalator is down for all the days everyone has mentioned, but it is probably something that happens to these escalators.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The escalator is broken, plain and simple. And Imagineer Meg isn't making any sense.
    -Bill

• DL College Program 97/98

FYI: There was a escalator fire there in early October which resulted in the Land being evacuated. There was a thread on another board by people who were required to simply stop eating mid-meal and leave. I suspect that's why it's still closed.

Not being an engineer, I have no idea how long it would take to repair/replace and get clearance to re-open an escalator after it catches fire.

broken escalator = stairs.

every time i've been, some moron has hit the emergency button and stopped the escalator for no good reason.

• All-American

This thread amuses me for some reason. I'm actually in the building quite a bit and can confirm that the escalators generally work every day... for at least part of the day. The down escalator is often shut off in very busy mornings if Living with the Land's queue is completely full (it happens), as a means of discouraging people from using LwtL's side of the building so that more of the building can be used as additional queue without having to worry about the escalator traffic. Otherwise, it's generally not shut off for operational purposes. The escalators do shut off often (once every day or so) but can usually be brought back up in minutes by the right person. Sometimes they do go down for days at a time though if maintenance needs to be involved. There was a time a few weeks ago where both of the escalators running was maybe 50/50... probably when Dan went... but for the past few weeks they've both been working every day without a problem.

If there were an escalator tracker thread, it would have to be updated far too often.

Not an attempt to justify the problem but those escalators were installed in 1983, according to an above post there was a fire in one of them (probably the one in question). Something that old would be a nightmare finding parts for and if they are going to replace it, it has to be custom built. Every escalator is unique to the building it's in. That doesn't happen over night. Last I heard Disney doesn't manufacture those things.

I'm sure that the opening of Soarin also added a lot of additional burden to them that they didn't have before. Pixie Dust doesn't work on everything. Lot's of it requires humans to build and time to do it. As long as they still have the elevator working all it should be is a minor inconvenience.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast