Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Re: Walt Disney World Attendance Down for 2012

two different things are going on here. Attendance is down because there is a depression going on in europe so fewer europeans are coming and the earthquake in Japan is affecting Japanese travel. As far as prices go, blame flroida's minimum wage law that causes the minimum wage to go up each year according inflation and until that's changed expect price increases every year.

Quote Originally Posted by princecharming View Post
    two different things are going on here. Attendance is down because there is a depression going on in europe so fewer europeans are coming and the earthquake in Japan is affecting Japanese travel. As far as prices go, blame flroida's minimum wage law that causes the minimum wage to go up each year according inflation and until that's changed expect price increases every year.
    Right, that's the reason. Prices never went up before that, right?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Disneyland exists in the same world, and so does Universal Orlando. Both saw attendance, revenue, and guest spending go up this year.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Now Universal is building a whole Springfield section next to the Simpsons ride. Moe's Tavern, Krusty Burger etc. Duff Gardens area serving a Duff Beer, a spinner ride themed to the aliens. All of this with supposedly "Harry Potter" level theming. This section will open middle next year with the Transformers ride. How does WDW sit idly by? Eventually you hit the tipping point of people just not taking the trouble of coming back regardless of what you do.

Star Wars land can't come soon enough, in my opinion. I have a feeling there will be a lot of finger pointing in the TDO building in the next couple years.

disneyland had an entire new land at dca and doesn't get nearly the number of european guests as WDW. and I do believe DL's prices also rose last year. Universal ticket prices are the same as disney's and they usually raise them to match. Also according to my info, All orlando theme parks saw attendance drop, Even universal. but they also have a new management that is willing to put money into the studios.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

You don't see as many Japanese tourists at WDW because most of them go to DL. In fact DL sees more guests from the Pacific rim like Japan, Australia, and China than WDW. At the same time you don't see as many European tourists at DL because they usually go to WDW.
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 11-18-2012 at 08:27 AM.

You can blame lower attendance at Disney World on the World's economy and various disasters around the Globe, but the bottom line is, what has Walt Disney World done in the past 5 years to merit my business? Absolutely nothing, unless you consider interactive queues and character meet and greet areas sufficient enough to pay a visit. Plus add to it that the lack of new offerings never stopped Disney management from raising prices yearly. At least Disneyland in CA and Universal Orlando gave us substance and new offering this past summer, hence, reason to increase their admission fees.. but Disney World? Nope.

So honestly..given Disney World's recent track record, is anyone really surprised that attendance is down? Not me. Of course, the new Fantasyland may add to the attendance in the coming year but it's in my opinion, a little too late. But it will be successful simply because everyone is craving *anything* new from Disney World's parks at this point in time. Regardless of how good or bad it may turn out to be.

Also according to my info, All orlando theme parks saw attendance drop, Even universal.
    In that case, your info is terribly inaccurate. IOA's attendance has increased considerably both years since Potter opened. The Studios has seen increases as well, although much smaller.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Also according to my info, All orlando theme parks saw attendance drop, Even universal. but they also have a new management that is willing to put money into the studios.
    what info? seaWorld, Universal, Legoland ALL saw attendance increases in 2012. Orlando saw record crowds in 2012 with 55 million guests visiting this city.

So you are incorrect.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Major Havoc

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    what info? seaWorld, Universal, Legoland ALL saw attendance increases in 2012. Orlando saw record crowds in 2012 with 55 million guests visiting this city.

So you are incorrect.
    Just out of curiosity, have they released attendance numbers for 2012? I am pretty sure they don't come out until March or April of the year following, right? I mean 2012 isn't even complete yet...
    "We're in the business of telling great stories, and great stories never grow old. In the end, a roller coaster is just a roller coaster." -- Marty Sklar.

preliminary attendance records for the last two quarters show a drop in attendance for all major parks in centeral florida, especaiily this past quarter. The reason disney's numbers are out is because they end their fiscal year in september. Universal and sea world end their's in december so the numbers for this year won't be released until the first part of next year. I happend to know people who work at both sea world/busch gardens and universal and have access to the info and they told me that while it wasn't a huge drop. Attendance this summer and into the fall was lower than last year. that's one of the reasons for all the expansion at the studios.

I think its time for Disney to study attendance projections and invest more at Disneyland if that's where future growth in revenue and profits is.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    No it doesn't - stop focusing on a word and listen to the message. But I have no interest in discussing it with YOU any further.
    Well discuss it with me

Sure, you made a mistake, no big deal but what I believe the problem is coming from is that you seem to be justifying Disney's cutbacks by saying their profits and their operating costs are generally even. What you and cheshire were suggesting were not the same message at all. The fact is, Disney is making a profit and will continue to do so. That one word makes a pretty big difference.

Bottom line, Disney's attendance is down and their profits are up. Hopefully they do something about it soon.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I wasn't justifying 'cutbacks'

I wasn't justifying any behavior, but pointing out that while spending has been up, the return hasn't been there. The gains are being washed out by poor performance elsewhere. People are looking at profits being posted which are across a variety of businesses in saying 'spending meant nore profits'. Where the net result came from was actually unrelated businesses from the spending.

Their spending has been greater than the return.. And they have done a poor job explaining the short term investment. What have they been repeatedly saying? That they intend on lowering capex... That's because it's been hurting their gains.

Personally I wish they'd take and justify the long road picture and invest to turn that tide. But that isn't what they are sharing with the investment conmunity
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Truecoat View Post
    Now Universal is building a whole Springfield section next to the Simpsons ride. Moe's Tavern, Krusty Burger etc. Duff Gardens area serving a Duff Beer, a spinner ride themed to the aliens. All of this with supposedly "Harry Potter" level theming. This section will open middle next year with the Transformers ride. How does WDW sit idly by? Eventually you hit the tipping point of people just not taking the trouble of coming back regardless of what you do.

Star Wars land can't come soon enough, in my opinion. I have a feeling there will be a lot of finger pointing in the TDO building in the next couple years.
    I'm extremely skeptical all promised above if confirmed to be coming would be ready within a years time. most likely late 2014 seems more reasonable again if this is confirmed as i have not even heard an announcement from universal yet on the former.

as for star wars land i agree expanded star wars is coming but i have a very good feeling your going to see more or improved Indy in there as well, disney went after all lucas films not just star wars. i would also hope we see a muppets expansion too but thats looking less and less likely the further we get from the most recent film's release. still hoping.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast