Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Walt Disney World Attendance Down for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    WDW doesn't have anything new that is good enough. Storytelling with Belle... boooooring. It's just fair.

Right. Universal Orlando has two of the greatest rides Florida has to offer (Spider-Man and Harry Potter). Plus their Men in Black ride is way cool and now with Transformers coming, that's a lot of reason to hit the Universal property.

I know Star Tours was 2011 and Toy Story Mania not too long before that but none of these are unique to Orlando.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Universal has actually been working on transformers for most of 2012. They began gutting the building shortly after amitiy closed. They just kept it quiet. The ride is up and running in hollywood and it's mostly the ride system for spiderman with a few tweeks and you don't have to build a new structure.

• Minion

I just got back from WDW, and I experienced the whole "wait times are short, but it still FEELS crowded" effect. There are traffic bottlenecks, and people aren't spread evenly throughout the parks. It also seemed like three nearly-empty buses would leave our resort for one park in the time it took for one full bus to go to another.

What's the draw to WDW for parents with kids these days? The last time I went I ended up having a better experience at Universal than WDW, which shocked me. However, when I looked around WDW, I saw a lot of attractions that have nostalgic appeal for adults, but I'm not certain what the appeal would be for teenage kids. I can see parents bringing their younger kids on rides they went on as kids, but what does that say for the next few generations? How many kids have actually seen a Mickey Mouse cartoon?

And while I think it's pretty cool that Disney picked up Lucas's stuff, what do kids know about Indiana Jones? Sure, the ride is pretty awesome at DL, but the stunt show feels like it's getting dated.

How about Star Wars? The TV show Clone Wars is keeping the franchise alive, but why doesn't WDW have the same Star Wars type events that DL has? How could Disney monetize this purchase better? And does this purchase appeal more to adults than kids since the adults grew up on the Lucas' franchises? I mean, Universal did kick out Jaws for Harry Potter.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    What's the draw to WDW for parents with kids these days? The last time I went I ended up having a better experience at Universal than WDW, which shocked me. However, when I looked around WDW, I saw a lot of attractions that have nostalgic appeal for adults, but I'm not certain what the appeal would be for teenage kids. I can see parents bringing their younger kids on rides they went on as kids, but what does that say for the next few generations? How many kids have actually seen a Mickey Mouse cartoon?

And while I think it's pretty cool that Disney picked up Lucas's stuff, what do kids know about Indiana Jones? Sure, the ride is pretty awesome at DL, but the stunt show feels like it's getting dated.

How about Star Wars? The TV show Clone Wars is keeping the franchise alive, but why doesn't WDW have the same Star Wars type events that DL has? How could Disney monetize this purchase better? And does this purchase appeal more to adults than kids since the adults grew up on the Lucas' franchises? I mean, Universal did kick out Jaws for Harry Potter.
    the kids go nuts for the disney characters. disney brands itself well and they're doing a good job targeting each next generation through disney junior right out of the gate(and those mickey mouse clubhouse episodes count as mickey mouse cartoons to a kid that now loves mickey mouse). it makes a very magical experience for children. and for those little kids, there's definitely more to do at disney.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

While nostalgia is a strong driver for WDW's current business, you must remember that soon there will be a whole new generation who feel nostalgic about Universal Orlando, and that property.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    How many kids have actually seen a Mickey Mouse cartoon?
    My 3 year old sees Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. This is available on Youtube and Cable networks. She is a big fan of Mickey Mouse.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Disney has always had a problem with the teen and young adult demographics. They are strong with kids, adults, and families but because Disney has never been about the big thrills they have little to offer teens. They tried to turn this around in the mid to late 90s, which is how we got Tower of Terror, Rock n Rollercoaster, and the current Epcot disaster.

Universal seems to be hitting the thrill market better because it doesn't have a problem putting up an exposed steel rollercoaster and doesn't have to live up to the reputation of being for everyone the way Disney does. Which is good because they aren't. When it comes to people who don't do thrill rides Universal offers next to nothing. That is the area where Disney still has a tremendous advantage.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

If WDW was the government, it would be proving the Laffer Curve right now!

• Minion

I wasn't a big thrill ride junkie when I was a teen. I loved the art, science, and history to be found at WDW. Not every park has to be for every person.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    My 3 year old sees Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. This is available on Youtube and Cable networks. She is a big fan of Mickey Mouse.
    I finally got a chance to watch this show, and it's good to have Mickey on the air.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith96 View Post
    . . . Space Mountain-I do enjoy the nostalgic feel of this origianal 1975 attraction just like the next guy, but it's time. Time to bring this attraction completely into the future. Just like I mentioned on Pirates, Space Mountain should be completely gutted out & re-built as well as the entire entrance area for the attraction. This attraction should be blowing everyone's socks off in today's times as it did way back in 75 for those times. Disney could make WDW's Space Mountain the benchmark that all the other ones look too. Brand new track, brand new ride vehicles with side by side seating instead of the single seating it currently has, state of the art futuristic effects, & on board soundtrack. With the size of this mammoth building, Disney could make a Space Mtn to end all Space Mountains. . .
    I love the energy you put into the longest post on this thread! How about a shiny, space mtn RANGE with an attraction inside named "Star Wars" celebrating Disney's valuable, beloved new property? I want a 100 foot drop in the dark and I want it to hit at least 50 mph, but without any loops--a ride that's thrilling for almost the whole family. The formerly great Space Mountain should become the ultimate Star Wars attraction.

While I have the attention of so many Micechatters who care so much about WDW, is the Carousel of Progress really in terrible condition? That's one of my favorite attractions from my childhood and I don't want to cross the country to ride it if it's dilapidated. (I also want to visit during the crowded summer to reduce the chance of a favorite attraction being down for rehab.)
    Last edited by jcruise86; 12-19-2012 at 10:29 AM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Sorry goofy donald.. but you're way behind in the USF news it seems. Transformers is already announced as Summer 2013.. and the insiders say June.

Springfield.. the existing food service is already behind walls and construction should be getting going. Don't wait for an announcement.. Transformers was under construction for many months before UNI even acknowledged it. HP v2 just as long and still no announcements there. Springfield is rumored for 2013 as well..

Uni is flooring the gas pedal right now. Not content just to have buns in the oven to keep fans drooling but looking to pump out actual product and do so quickly.

Gringots already has track on site. Look at how long it took before the Seven Dwarves coaster got to that point.

And the attraction count being added, as well as new experiences dwarves the stuff even on the drawing board for WDW.. and UNI is actually in construction.

To say WDW has been flatfooted in all of this is an understatement. UNI is betting the bank on 2013-2015.
    Prepared to be shocked then I guess Not sure why you think they would announce a timeframe without good belief they can hit it.. considering it's a clone they've already built twice.

Oh and permits are in for redoing Monster Cafe too.. with another new project.
    I love this post.
    I love Universal's Steve Burke,
    and I love the energy that Universal is charging into it's Orlando resort!

Now I wish they'd break ground on their Hollywood Wizarding World of Harry Potter,
    and I wish they'd make it the best Potter world yet.

Hi jcruise,

IMO, Carousel of Progress is in bad shape. the Carpet looks old, the seats feel lumpy and some are torn, sound is ok. But... the audio animatronic's are working but the show is in dire need of update. So I would not say "Terrible", but I would say bad.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I also agree with Kidgeneie.

The carpet is disgusting, the seats look like old movie theater seats you would find in a 1.00 movie theater in a bad part of town.

The sets need A LOT of TLC. Everything from dusting, to fixing, etc.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast