Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Walt Disney World Attendance Down for 2012

Attendance at Walt Disney World was down slightly for the year, but the turnout at Disneyland in California — which opened a "Cars"-themed attraction earlier this year — was strong enough to offset that decline and generate a 3 percent increase in domestic-park attendance, said Jay Rasulo, the company's senior executive vice president and chief financial officer. Domestic-hotel occupancy was down slightly for the year, to 78 percent, in part because of the opening this summer of Disney's Art of Animation Resort in Central Florida, which added almost 2,000 rooms to Disney World's inventory.
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ue-theme-parks

So is this the clear indicator that TDO needs to invest and invest heavily into WDW?
    Last edited by KingEric; 11-09-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: added source
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Re: Walt Disney World Attendance Down for 2012

Maybe...Cars Land is a pretty strong draw imho.
    For the love of Disney....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Or Avatarland will be our saving grace!

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Or Avatarland will be our saving grace!
    Still wish they would have planned Avatarland in DHS. DHS would have been a better home for this land since its a hodge podge of movie stuff. Bring Indyland to Animal Kingdom, Relocate the Indy stunt show and bring 2 attractions, one from DL and one from DLP and you got yourself a real Potter Swatter...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I am still crossing my fingers that they relocate the Festival of the Lion King and not simply close it. However I know contracts are not looking to get renewed by the cast there.

I really want WDW to be the place of Broadway Caliber shows.

• Closed Account

But Belle's Reading Rainbow and Mermaid was supposed to save us from DL AND Uni. Oh my...what EVER could have gone wrong. I thought guests LOVED 10yrs of marketing campaigns

• Pilot EdForceOne

So is this the clear indicator that TDO needs to invest and invest heavily into WDW?
    I think just the opposite actually.. when they have to make statements saying all their increases in revenue were offset by higher operating costs... there is pressure to shy away from increasing operating costs.

WDW already has several buns in the oven... I think we'll see a return of higher discounting and more marketing to try to boost things.

---------- Post added 11-09-2012 at 12:09 PM ----------

I am still crossing my fingers that they relocate the Festival of the Lion King and not simply close it. However I know contracts are not looking to get renewed by the cast there.
    They are having casting calls for the show next week... its not going away. Moved.. sure, but autions are Nov 12
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Shubisha

Seems unfair to use Art of Animation opening to effect the occupancy percentage for the year.. So unfair that I think they're using it as an excuse :P

• Program

New FL should dramatically increase attendance. I know it doesn't seem like much... but people who haven't visited in 20+ years might find it a nice addition.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    But Belle's Reading Rainbow and Mermaid was supposed to save us from DL AND Uni. Oh my...what EVER could have gone wrong. I thought guests LOVED 10yrs of marketing campaigns
    You're such a troll. Neither of those attractions are even open to the general public at this point. And these figures are for the fiscal year of 2012, which ended on September 29, almost two weeks before those attractions soft opened. Also, neither of those attractions were intended to "save us" from Universal. The only reason they were added were to increase capacity.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well...this seems easy to see...there is a direct relation between decreased attendance and increased prices. Many families are staying away as long as they can now...because they simply cannot afford not to stay away. I.E. Disney costs too much! Pure and simple.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I agree that they have crossed the value proposition threshold

• Metro-Retro Historian

Before the new Fantasyland expansion the last major addition to The Magic Kingdom was Splash Mountain in 1992. Back then a one day ticket was $34 which is roughly $54 in today money. In reality a one day ticket is $89. This doesn't even take into account that before 2005 tickets never expired by default instead of being an added extra that needed to be purchased at an additional cost.

I guess everything has gotten more expensive than just adjustment for inflation, but it's a little hard to justify such an increase without really adding anything. Even the new big Fantasyland adds exactly zero attractions. The other parks are even worse. Epcot and Hollywood Studios actually offer less than they used to. The maintenance issue also does the opposite of justify the regular price increases which themselves have even gotten larger.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Before the new Fantasyland expansion the last major addition to The Magic Kingdom was Splash Mountain in 1992. Back then a one day ticket was $34 which is roughly $54 in today money. In reality a one day ticket is $89. This doesn't even take into account that before 2005 tickets never expired by default instead of being an added extra that needed to be purchased at an additional cost.

I guess everything has gotten more expensive than just adjustment for inflation, but it's a little hard to justify such an increase without really adding anything. Even the new big Fantasyland adds exactly zero attractions. The other parks are even worse. Epcot and Hollywood Studios actually offer less than they used to. The maintenance issue also does the opposite of justify the regular price increases which themselves have even gotten larger.
    This! They are offering less for the price of more. They have not added anything major to MK since I was 3! Ridiculous. Prices continue to rise and offerings continue to drop in both count and quality. I'm surprised they don't have a marketing campaign out touting their brand new e-ticket in future world... Aka the lipstick on a pig test track 2.0. It was just a matter of time until the masses started to realize the quality has declined while the prices have just continued to steadily climb.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post

Yeah I think that the general public is jumping off of the bandwagon before it goes over the cliff..

Personally I know next July for our weekend trip we're staying on property but not going to any of the parks, just not worth it in our opinion this is the second time I've gone and used our DVC membership in Florida and haven't gone to the parks for any amount of time, it doesn't hold the same draw as it once did. We still have fun, but we can enjoy ourselves just as much playing a round of golf(and save a couple of hundred bucks as well)
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast