Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Great Movie Ride Update

.....the park icon is concealed by a certain large hat that some like, and some don't.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I can't help but wonder if the obstructive nature of the Sorceror's hat is the reason why GMR is not attracting as many guests. You do have to go around the back of the hat just to get to the entry of the ride. And many people wouldn't notice the Chinese theater there unless you were at a particular distance (far or close) from the park entry. If the front of the building was more opened up to the public view for photo ops and the like it would make the ride more inviting to guests. That is my theory.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post

If
    the ride were to ever go I can't see them completely getting rid of the building. It's not only a replica of the famously known Grauman's Chinese theater, but also an iconic park icon.
    I agree that they'd probably keep the Chinese Theater facade even if something else were inside.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I can't help but wonder if the obstructive nature of the Sorceror's hat is the reason why GMR is not attracting as many guests. You do have to go around the back of the hat just to get to the entry of the ride. And many people wouldn't notice the Chinese theater there unless you were at a particular distance (far or close) from the park entry. If the front of the building was more opened up to the public view for photo ops and the like it would make the ride more inviting to guests. That is my theory.
    Not only that, but it's kind of confusing as to what are we supposed to focus on. Of course, the main focus you naturally see and the icon to the park is the hat now, however the GMR was supposed to be the main ride and the big attraction to the park when it first opened. So which thing are we supposed to really identify the park with, the hat, or the ride itself? Back then I get the feeling it was supposed to be GMR, but now it's the hat. I would bet if most people my generation was asked about GMR, most wouldn't even know it existed, or wouldn't bother to ride it unless their parents suggested it.

Also, I've noticed out of the parks I've been to (all, but Animal Kingdom) it's the hardest to get around and understand where everything is. The first time I went there I didn't get a map and it was nearly impossible to really get to any rides, or know where anything is. I usually don't use maps at amusement parks (whether first time, or the tenth time) and seem to get around a park fine, but not this park. The second time I even used a map and even then I'd manage to go the wrong way in order to get to something. After that time I managed to walk around the park no problem.

To me the park doesn't seem to really have an identity, or theme, and everything is all over the place.

The last time I was at DHS with the fam, I begged them to come with me on GMR. I remembered going on it when I was younger (surprisingly.. We'd gone on GMR but not The Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, etc...) and it was one of my favorites. This was a good 9 years ago, and this time I was disappointed. I was terrified of the Alien scene, and I sat curled up next to my dad just waiting for the Alien to come down from the ceiling... No alien...

I also remember LOVING the Tarzan scene. However, the mannequin strapped to a vine wasn't near as impressive as I remembered it being.

The one saving grace of the ride for me was that we had an enthusiastic CM. She obviously loved what she was doing. And the Wicked Witch of the West!! She was fantastic in comparison to some of the other AA's... (I'm looking at you, Footlight Parade girls.) But even then, my family just stared at me when the ride was over.

So overall... I would hate for them to remove the ride since it's so iconic, but it's in serious need of a little TLC. Just think about how great it could be if they used some of the newer AA technology!! The Chinese Theatre's Villain Ride would've been a fantastic substitute.

• Disney Scribe

I think that it needs a "Test Track" update. That is keep the ride mechanics the same but do an update of films in the sections. OK you've probably got to keep Bogart and Sorcerer Mickey but most other things can go. Then update the film at the end. (Though I do like the music.)

This would give it a new lease of life and only cost $20 million or so. Bargain.

Yeah, I think that would be definitely the way to go is updating the sections and make the script less cheesy.

Something they can easily change is definitely the film at the end, but I like the music as well. However, if they decided to completely redo the film at the end they would more than likely have a new score to go along with it. That's something that can easily be done to make the ride look less dated.

• film975

The tour guides on the Great Movie Ride are just like the skippers on Jungle Cruise. Some are really good at delivering their spiels and others just aren't. A lot of things have happened since the Great Movie Ride first opened. MGM has since declared bankruptcy and they no longer sponsor the park. And the Chinese Theater is owned by a different company. Which is one of the reasons why the Sorceror Hat is the park's new icon. In all, I think the entire DHS park needs a serious update. If the Star Wars land comes to fruition, I think that would be help a lot. Along with Cars Land if both rumors come true.

• Characters are my friends

I think the movie selection in GMR is fine. The AAs just need a little TLC
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    The tour guides on the Great Movie Ride are just like the skippers on Jungle Cruise. Some are really good at delivering their spiels and others just aren't. A lot of things have happened since the Great Movie Ride first opened. MGM has since declared bankruptcy and they no longer sponsor the park. And the Chinese Theater is owned by a different company. Which is one of the reasons why the Sorceror Hat is the park's new icon. In all, I think the entire DHS park needs a serious update. If the Star Wars land comes to fruition, I think that would be help a lot. Along with Cars Land if both rumors come true.
    I've always wondered how true this is? I've never seen anything really official explaining this, although it has been mentioned for years. If Disney really lost the right to use it as the park icon, wouldn't they not have it in any pictures, or better yet, have to remove the building facade entirely?
    Jeff Wayne

• I make fake movies

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I've always wondered how true this is? I've never seen anything really official explaining this, although it has been mentioned for years. If Disney really lost the right to use it as the park icon, wouldn't they not have it in any pictures, or better yet, have to remove the building facade entirely?
    It's about as true as the story behind Sid Cahuenga's One-of-a-kind shop.
    The park Icon was the Earful Tower. Only visible from the road (World Drive) and the backlot tour. The Chinese Theater was never the park Icon, although it was one of the first things you see when entering the park. People mistake the thing in the center of the park as the icon, so they put an icon there. Not quite chicken and the egg, but close.

the story makes good drama, but no motion to file was ever made by Warners/Paramount or Ted Mann.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I think this idea of the Chinese Theater being covered up for legal reasons was pretty much debunked in another thread a few years ago (sorry, can't remember exactly when or where).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12