Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Cool Great Movie Ride Update

ORDDU: So, not long ago someone mentioned something about the Great Movie Ride at DHS and how it needed to be refurbished since not all the effects were working properly. My sisters and I mentioned that the bubbles were not always working for the Swimming scene towards the beginning of the ride.

ORWEN: Someone--we won't say who--challenged us and said the bubbles were working just fine and wouldn't believe us when we said they weren't.

ORDDU: On 11/4/12 the bubbles were--again--not working for this scene. Normally we wouldn't bother to report such a thing but since we were challenged to prove a point we took note and decided to mention it again, for what it's worth.

ORWEN: The alien creature from the 'Alien' scene still doesn't have the courage to show himself these days, either. It doesn't seem like he should be on the payroll if he can't even do something as simple as to drop down from the ceiling every now and then like he's supposed to.

ORGOCH: This dang ride oughtta either git itself fixed er be put outta its miz'ry!!

ORDDU: It just goes to show that the price increases aren't going toward repairs for this attraction and it's a shame. When you can't even depend on the bubbles to show up, that's pretty bad!

• Musical Fireman

Re: Great Movie Ride Update

Ya know sisters I find it funny since for how many years WDW had all the big celebrations, the biggest shows, and best attractions and then they all of a sudden shift their interests to Cars Land. TDO really needs to get their heads out of a certain hole where there is no sunshine and realize what's happening to what really was Walt's last dream. Perhaps they could use a hex or two?

Any way hope to see ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Minion

ORDDU: Why, thank you, duckling! We hope to see you walking right down the middle of Main Street, too!

ORGOCH: Just be sure ya don't step in no horse pucky whilst yer at it!

ORWEN: Eeeeeeeeew! You're such a disgusting, nasty old biddy!! (Not you, SparkChaser--I was talking to my sister just then.)

The Great Movie has needed an update for quite awhile. Last time, I was there we got stuck multiple times during the riding process and the actor involved was really awkward when it came to what to do and didn't know how to act. I mean, usually the acting is horrible enough as it is and so is the cheesy writing, but he literally had no enthusiasm and was stiff. Of course, that isn't the ride itself, but still they need to change up a few things and do some serious maintenance.

• Minion

ORDDU: I remember how much more enthusiastic and animated the actor/tour guides used to be in the earlier days of this attraction. Now days it all comes across as though the 'actors' are just going through the motions in order to collect a pay check. So you bring up a very good point, DisCollector, duckling.

ORWEN: We don't mean to turn this into a cast member bashing session either. It's just that we'd like Disney to hire people who are more enthusiastic about this kind of job. It takes a special person to give that many repeat performances each day. I probably couldn't do a very good job of it, myself, but then I'm a witch so what do you expect?

ORGOCH: Got an hour? Got a day? Got week? Got a MONTH fer me ta sit ya down so's I can tell ya what I expect outta ya?

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well...these nice ladies have a point. It seems there are a lotta things not working in the Great Movie Ride these days. That gangster car for instance....

Does anyone at Disney care anymore?

It seems a good many of the managers at Disney these days have adapted the RIZZO the RAT approach..."Hey, they're tourists, what do they know?"

Kinda really makes ya miss that Walt Disney feller don't it?

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Yes, I noticed that too. Also, when we got to the Wild West part of the ride there was far less action. Instead of them going through the scene and the AA and the tour guide going back and forth with each other and shooting, we just went by the scene. I don't know if it was due to the AA not working, or they just decided to cut down the scene.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Part of the problem is that the tour guides have been so locked down now that they really cant have any fun with the script any more.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Part of the problem is that the tour guides have been so locked down now that they really cant have any fun with the script any more.
    Similar problem at the Jungle Cruise! They really need to let these CM's loose.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Minion

The tinfoil hatter in me can't help but wonder if they're pulling a Horizons - letting maintenance go so that they can say they didn't have a choice when they decide to tear it down.

• Bangarang!

^That would be a shocking move.

In fact it'd probably be the first time a (former) park icon was removed.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Agreed!
    For the love of Disney....

That would definitely be a shocking move on their part. It was one of the first concepts they thought up while MGM/HS was first thought of and was creating ideas for the park. I really can't see them actually getting rid of it.

If
    the ride were to ever go I can't see them completely getting rid of the building. It's not only a replica of the famously known Grauman's Chinese theater, but also an iconic park icon.

It would be nice if they just stripped everything and started from scratch do different films with a certain theme such as classics, or strictly disney films, or oscar winning films, or the most famous/popular films in each decade. Some sort of theme to go along with it. However, I'd doubt that it would really happen.

Although, the ride is a favorite to some Disney goers and hardcore fans, it isn't one of the most popular and famously known rides at Walt Disney World in general. Which might be the reason why it hasn't really gotten much help over the years.

• Minion

ORDDU: Yes, the current philosophy of the current Disney management is that the burden is on the guest to prove an attraction is worthy of being updated before they'll lift a finger to improve it. My sisters and I had a conversation with a cast member at the Magic Kingdom a while back, who told us that Rivers of America isn't updated very often, due to the lack of low ridership. We were apalled at such a statement. We pointed out that Uncle Walt always believed it was up to Disney to give guests a reason to come back again and again--not the other way around. It's no wonder that so many things don't get repaired when current management waits around until the guests give them a 'reason' to fix things that need fixing, simply by visiting attractions in larger numbers, first, in order to justify an update.

ORGOCH: Yeah, they sure got it all backwards! But, then, Dizzy ain't Dizzy no more.

ORWEN: What she means to say is that Disney isn't Disney anymore.

ORGOCH: Ain't that what I just said? Didn't I just say Dizzy ain't Dizzy no more??? Ketch yer broomstick, sister!!

Yes, Walt would definitely be disappointed at their logic and how they do certain things nowadays, especially considering he was a perfectionist. This is the same man who went on the Jungle Cruise and when he thought it to not be long enough, had to tell someone about it, and after awhile came back and not only rode one boat, but all of the boats on the ride to make sure it was perfect and it was to his liking. I think he would be disappointed at their logic of thinking if there is "lack of low ridership" there is no need to do maintenance, or do things in order to make the ride better.

If they want to get people through the door that is exactly what they need to do is fix it up a bit, add to it, change it up to a bit, ect. As you said, Walt always believed that you have to give a reason for guests to come back again and again and doing that for TGM would do that if they put a little TLC into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast