Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Let's Clean Up the Parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I'm going to blame the guests. I mean really, the parks would sparkly clean if there we no guests. Unfortunately, that's a really bad business model and I can't recommend it.
    Actually the visitors are partly to blamed for the problem but so is the custodial crew. On our last visit early this year, we noticed many cleaning crew staff just moving slowly or not really trying too hard to keep up with the discarded trash. Likewise, many employees walked pass trash and never made an effort to bend down and collect it. It's an important part of the Disney park experience that sadly, Disney World and Disneyland Paris do not seem to do a good job at. When we visited Tokyo Disneyland two years ago, the parks there were incredibly cleaned and much more busy than the parks in Orlando. The difference is the attitude of the cleaning staff. In Tokyo, they were busy working and moving around. In Orlando, many of the same people seem to have trouble even walking. It's a sad statement to acknowledge, and I'm not hopeful it will get any better.
    But lastly I have to place fault on Disney management teams. If they tried to clean the parks overnight, things like removing chewing gum or graffiti, pressure washing the streets, and adding more custodial staffing, then it would send a stronger message to visitors that it's NOT ok to litter, I'd think.

• Metro-Retro Historian

The old strategy was to make the parks so beautiful that people would feel bad about littering. When you combine that little bit of psychological suggestion with the fact that guests are never more than 20 paces from a garbage can, the idea works pretty well. But when the maintenance starts to slip and the parks are not so pristine, it can be like a snowball rolling down a mountain. It's really a team effort and people on both sides of the name tag have to do their part.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

•   

All valid points, but even if people did get messier and less respectful over time, the solution still comes back to management recognizing the demand and providing the proper staffing. A plea for responsibility is nice and all, but there are those who will never listen and so we must acknowledge this and staff accordingly.

...or we can cut funding and divert it to Aulani. Yeah, that should be done instead. In this economy it should be a hit.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    Yes I'm concerned but the janitors are not robots they will miss certain spots it happens.
    That's the solution! A Roomba in every queue!

Seriously, though, I suspect that, like most other large companies right now, the first place the company looks to save money is payroll.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The old strategy was to make the parks so beautiful that people would feel bad about littering. When you combine that little bit of psychological suggestion with the fact that guests are never more than 20 paces from a garbage can, the idea works pretty well. But when the maintenance starts to slip and the parks are not so pristine, it can be like a snowball rolling down a mountain. It's really a team effort and people on both sides of the name tag have to do their part.
    This was the solution and still could be the solution. It just requires a management team that actually understands what this kind of clean is, so that they can manage their teams to provide this level of quality.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    This was the solution and still could be the solution. It just requires a management team that actually understands what this kind of clean is, so that they can manage their teams to provide this level of quality.
    As much as I want to believe this I just don't think so Eric, its a societal change thats occurred over time and cannot be resolved with this solution. As the mass populous become more and more unsocial, obnoxious, and entitled then these issues will increase in turn. It's up to maintenance at this point to continue to fight the good fight in a loosing battle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12