Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let's Clean Up the Parks.

Hello, Ranger J. Audubon Woodlore here. When I started working for Mr. Disney in 1954 my job was to maintain order in the park. Which included keeping guests and park inhabitants safe, not always easy with Humphrey around, but the responsibility I always took most seriously was keeping the park clean. I think we did a relatively good job keeping the parks clean for the first 40 years or so, but as I and many of the old timers started to retire, I'm saddened to learn that park clearness isn't the priority it once was.

On a recent trip back to one of the parks I was greatly saddened by the amount of trash, litter, and debris scattered throughout the park. I intend to use this thread to post a photo essay of park current conditions is hopes that my successors will see this and do something to bring the park back to its glory days as one of the cleanest places on earth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_m6z3r4F4WT1qhcrb0o1_500.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	25045

In the Bag, bump-bump

For those of you that don't remember me, below is a little something to refresh your memory.

First you stick a rag, put it in the bag, bump-bump,
    Then you bend your back, put it in the sack, bump-bump,
    That's the way it's done - it's a lot of fun, bump-bump,
    Cuttin' capers, puttin' papers in the bag.

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 10:03 AM ----------

Interview of Walt Disney by journalist Pete Martin for the Saturday Evening Post story, “"You've got to keep it clean" Summer 1956.

Pete Martin: Let's talk a little about Disneyland and how it's so different from other amusement parks.

Walt: …Chewing gum sticks up things so we don't sell it. And peanut shells. We sell the unshelled. But shelled peanuts, they just crumble them and throw them all over the place. And nothing with round sticks. People trip on them. The ice cream bars got flat sticks and I won't sell any of this spun candy because the kids get it and get it all over everything and people get it on their hands.

…When it comes to Disneyland, I feel I've given the public everything I can give them. My daughter, Diane, says that I spend too much time around the house talking about how I can give them more for their money when they come to the park. You've got to build. You've got to keep it clean. You don't want to walk in a dirty toilet. I won't have 'em. My toilets are spic and span. And you know another thing, I have to have police so there's no child molesters there. I've got plainclothesmen. They can leave their kids to run around and I have safety inspectors. It's run in a high class manner and I have a high class clientele. The people who go to the park are from all walks of life but they look like solid Americans. That's pretty high class.
    Last edited by J Audubon Woodlore; 11-12-2012 at 10:02 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Let's Clean Up the Parks.

cute. And I agree that the parks need to be cleaned up, and everyone can do their part, but it starts with Disney giving us a pristine park at the start of the day, that people don't feel compelled to pile trash up in.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I was at the Magic Kingdom this past weekend and appalled at the level of trash around the park and the conditions of the bathrooms.

With the crowds being what they are there almost needs to be an attendant in each bathroom (or rotating between 2-3 adjacent bathrooms) picking the paper off the floors, emptying the trash cans, and drying off the counters. I feel like I need to wear hip waders in the bathrooms.

I worked in the Magic Kingdom back in the late 80's early 90's, and before the park opened every day, we were sent out to jump the fences and pick up any trash left from the night before. We would take TSI (Tom Sawyer Island) Rafts out in the morning on river trash cleanup runs. The river today is flooded with trash, especially under the trestle bridge.

TDO has long given up on the concept of show, and that includes cleanliness.

lol...awesome vids...
    For the love of Disney....

• Musical Fireman

Oh yea!!! I remember you Ranger Woodlore, I saw your picture that came before 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Say how long did it take Donald and that mountain lion to dig up the Grand Canyon?

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Minion

ORWEN: How could anybody forget such a loveable character as you. J. Audubon Woodlore? You're a sweetie!

ORGOCH: 'Course i don't think a payin' guest oughtta be expected ta clean up the park after payin' Walt Dizzy Whirl's sky high prices! That's a job fer all them janitors! I ain't no cleain' woman, after all!

ORWEN: You're also not the most tidy old biddy, either! I've seen the messes you make all over the place. All J. Audobon Woodlore is suggesting is that each guest clean up after themselves so nobody else has to.

ORGOCH: Oh, sister dear, if yer gonna' cast asperagus at me fer the messes I make, ya'd better be changin' the subject befer I tell ev'rybody 'bout how messy ya is yer own dang self! I cain't even tell ya how many times I almost been buried alive under a mountain a all yer donut crumbs!!!

ORWEN; Oh, you're such a liar! You always were!!

ORGOCH: In a bat's butt!!!

ORDDU: (sigh) What a temptest in a pot of tea this has turned out to be! Let's just remember to pick up after ourselves no matter where we are and the world will be a better place...

Found this old thread: Why is Disneyland Dirty?

• Senior Minion

Cheap management + lowered custodial staffing = trashy parks.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Working in the parks myself, I always make it a habit to pick something up when I see it. I love Disney so I hate to see it trashed by guests. I even call out parents/kids when I notice them place a Capri Sun pouch (or anything) on a curb when there's a trash can twenty or so steps away. However, in the mornings, I never notice any kind of trash lying around so that I do not get.

• Kandace Sparkles

Blog Entries

I have to say that there have been some great moments where I've seen some Custodial Cast Members really working their tails off. The most recent time that comes to mind was when I was dining at Casey's Corner. There were three Custodial Cast Members in and out of that area as we dined in view of the decorated Cinderella Castle. They were detailed and one even came to our table to pre-bus the table for us. Wonderful.

I don’t necessarily want to criticize the custodian staff. It’s not that the staffs doing a bad job, it’s that there isn’t necessarily enough of them.

And it goes beyond the custodian staff. There used to be a time with all attraction supervisors would have a nabber-grabber in their hands picking up any stray trash as they strolled from attraction to attraction. And you used to see more attraction hosts/hostesses at the greeter position with nabber-grabber and/or a pan/broom cleaning up the area around their attraction.

And its not so much the trash in the guests areas, that’s usually masked by the hordes of humanity congesting the various walkways. It’s the trash and litter that’s accumulating in the flower beds, and waterways. It doesn’t appear as if anyone is taking the time to jump the fences to pick up the trash on the other side.

• Musical Fireman

I suppose we can't be too upset. I mean the janitors and the guests are human they will either forget to clean the little spaces like the ones in the allears report or the guests (rather abusing their right to visit the parks) decide to leave their garbage their. Yes I'm concerned but the janitors are not robots they will miss certain spots it happens.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• A Dark Future

I'm going to blame the guests. I mean really, the parks would sparkly clean if there we no guests. Unfortunately, that's a really bad business model and I can't recommend it.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast