Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What's one ride you'd bring back, or return to it's original state?

Horizons
    Wonders of Life
    Mr. Toad
    Skyway
    Plaza Swan Boats
    Alien Counter

• north west of WDW

I always thought that Mr Toad wasn't up to par for Fantasyland, it should have been more than simple two dimensional cutouts.

What I would like to see restored would be Alien Encounter...so much better than Stench

• Shopping With You

Journey Into Imagination
    Alien Encounter

Journey Into Imagination and Horizons. I'm happy to see others saying the same thing! Future World's current problems would be half way solved if these two were still in place.

Adventurer's Club, Mr. Toad, Diamond Horseshoe, Canoes, Cranium Command, Timekeeper, all great choices.

• Metro-Retro Historian

I still maintain that Horizons is the greatest theme park attraction ever built; so that one.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• secure all cargo

Cranium Command. Might need new films though, it was clearly dated by the time I'd seen it the first time.
    Timekeeper, one of my favorite Eisner-era attractions.
    Horizons. Never actually seen it before, but the youtube videos are so cool, really disappointed I missed this.

And bring back the cast member guides to Living With The Land. So much better than the recorded spiel.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I still maintain that Horizons is the greatest theme park attraction ever built; so that one.
    the trick with horizons though is that it needs to be constantly updated to maintain its relevance. for that reason it doesn't fit the perimeters of this question IMO. i agree that it was a great attraction but disney wasn't willing to put the effort in and treat the attraction as it deserved to be, at least they didn't keep it around and make it the epcot version of CoP.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by 3IAlienKid View Post
    And bring back the cast member guides to Living With The Land. So much better than the recorded spiel.
    I'm not normally in favor of replacing live people with technology, but I think Disney got this one right. The CMs that worked The Land attraction were mostly very bland, very mechanical, and it was kinda embarrassing to sit through the ride with a real person droning on and on and not very engaged with either the boatload of people or the attraction itself. IMO, the recorded spiel, while a bit drier, is much better.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    the trick with horizons though is that it needs to be constantly updated to maintain its relevance. for that reason it doesn't fit the perimeters of this question IMO. i agree that it was a great attraction but disney wasn't willing to put the effort in and treat the attraction as it deserved to be, at least they didn't keep it around and make it the epcot version of CoP.
    I don't know what's outdated about it. It actually holds up better than the Carousel of Progress ending and Horizons is a full decade older. The real trick with Horizons was that it was so general with its predictions that it greatly increased its longevity. Floating cities and colonies in space are still very much futuristic ideas. Sure some of the sets and costumes might need cosmetic updates every couple decades but that's not really asking for much in the greater scheme of things. They've done it a few times for the back end of Spaceship Earth and that didn't bankrupt the company. We didn't lose Horizons for any artistic reason. It went away because it lost sponsorship and Disney was cheap.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Easy, Journey Into Imagination.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Unhelpful User

Without a doubt, hands down the original Journey Into Imagination and Horizons. Both Journey Into Your Imagination and Journey Into Imagination with Figment are two versions of JII that makes me want to vomit, we have had that current version of JII long enough, get rid of Dr. Nigel Pukeing and the Imagination Crapitute and bring back Dreamfinder and the kindhearted Figment, bring back the original JII, and reopen the upstairs Imageworks with the rainbow tunnel.

You can keep Mission: Space but bring back Horizons.

I want back the Epcot that was one of the biggest parts of my childhood.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I don't know what's outdated about it. It actually holds up better than the Carousel of Progress ending and Horizons is a full decade older. The real trick with Horizons was that it was so general with its predictions that it greatly increased its longevity. Floating cities and colonies in space are still very much futuristic ideas. Sure some of the sets and costumes might need cosmetic updates every couple decades but that's not really asking for much in the greater scheme of things. They've done it a few times for the back end of Spaceship Earth and that didn't bankrupt the company. We didn't lose Horizons for any artistic reason. It went away because it lost sponsorship and Disney was cheap.
    Your making my point for me there friend lol. the issue as I explained earlier was that Disney was not willing to continually update the attraction and instead let it fall into disorder and eventually its demise. yes the broad predictions and the general points of the ride its self would not need to be adjusted very much over the years however smaller things like the set designs would need to be changed as our conceptualizations of the future changed and as things would be invented and become main stream. this is something that would have to occur at LEAST every decade and disney was not willing to spend the money on doing that. Spaceship earth is a totally separate issue from horizons 1) because it has sponsorship and 2) it doesn't need to be updated as much because much of the attraction is a look back at the past and 3) disney is forced to take care of it even if they didn't have a sponsor, its the icon of the park and the first thing you get to when entering, they were not allowed to let it go un funded. sure it holds up better then CoP NOW but eventually it would enter that territory and remain untouched so i would prefer it be gone now and we have an attraction they are willing to do the upkeep on then watch horizons fall further and further into shambles.

• "What is thy bidding?"

Didn't Stich and Alien Encounter take up the space that was once Mission to Mars?

I would love to see an updated version of Mission to Mars here, even something that pays homage to the defunct space shuttle program. Unfortunatelly with a similar ride, "Mission Space" at EPCOT it probably wouldn't be feasable.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Your making my point for me there friend lol. the issue as I explained earlier was that Disney was not willing to continually update the attraction and instead let it fall into disorder and eventually its demise. yes the broad predictions and the general points of the ride its self would not need to be adjusted very much over the years however smaller things like the set designs would need to be changed as our conceptualizations of the future changed and as things would be invented and become main stream. this is something that would have to occur at LEAST every decade and disney was not willing to spend the money on doing that. Spaceship earth is a totally separate issue from horizons 1) because it has sponsorship and 2) it doesn't need to be updated as much because much of the attraction is a look back at the past and 3) disney is forced to take care of it even if they didn't have a sponsor, its the icon of the park and the first thing you get to when entering, they were not allowed to let it go un funded. sure it holds up better then CoP NOW but eventually it would enter that territory and remain untouched so i would prefer it be gone now and we have an attraction they are willing to do the upkeep on then watch horizons fall further and further into shambles.
    Not updating the attraction has nothing to do with it falling into disrepair; that's just general maintenance. Sure, if they don't even want to pay to keep the thing working properly, they probably aren't going to pay to update it, but laziness and cheapness is a pretty terrible excuse not to do something.

Part of the deal that you make when you theme something to the future is that it will eventually need updates. The thing Horizons was smart about was that it's predictions were so far off and free of any specific technologies that it's still not that dated. The only thing I can think of that has happened yet was the redhead face chatting with her beach bum boyfriend and even that only became common in the past couple years. That's a heck of a lot better than the 94 Spaceship Earth that told us the internet was the future and was outdated within 5 years.

Nearly half of Horizons takes place in the past. Another smart move was making the part dedicated to the present a film. That means a new present section could be made relatively cheaply. It can be shot and edited while the old film still runs and the update for the section that would need to be updated the most could be installed within a matter of hours. They might even be able to pull it off without shutting down the ride for a day. The other updates are purely set design and costuming. Futuristic aesthetic trends don't change all that fast. The future now is a bit rounder and with more subdued and cooler colors than the early 80s, but that's about it. If the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean can get all those updates they don't need, I think Horizons could have at least gotten that much. It's a better ride than those two anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone would personally want to bring back to WDW, or what rides that are still there that you'd like to return to their original state and why.
    I would love to see the return of the original monorails, but updated with the latest technologies and fully automated. That way, we can all sit down again and enjoy the ride WITHOUT constantly waiting for traffic clearance ahead.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast