Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: What's one ride you'd bring back, or return to it's original state?

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Not updating the attraction has nothing to do with it falling into disrepair; that's just general maintenance. Sure, if they don't even want to pay to keep the thing working properly, they probably aren't going to pay to update it, but laziness and cheapness is a pretty terrible excuse not to do something.

Part of the deal that you make when you theme something to the future is that it will eventually need updates. The thing Horizons was smart about was that it's predictions were so far off and free of any specific technologies that it's still not that dated. The only thing I can think of that has happened yet was the redhead face chatting with her beach bum boyfriend and even that only became common in the past couple years. That's a heck of a lot better than the 94 Spaceship Earth that told us the internet was the future and was outdated within 5 years.

Nearly half of Horizons takes place in the past. Another smart move was making the part dedicated to the present a film. That means a new present section could be made relatively cheaply. It can be shot and edited while the old film still runs and the update for the section that would need to be updated the most could be installed within a matter of hours. They might even be able to pull it off without shutting down the ride for a day. The other updates are purely set design and costuming. Futuristic aesthetic trends don't change all that fast. The future now is a bit rounder and with more subdued and cooler colors than the early 80s, but that's about it. If the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean can get all those updates they don't need, I think Horizons could have at least gotten that much. It's a better ride than those two anyway.
    again I'm not advocating that disney did the right thing by doing what they did but it happened, its clear they weren't going to invest any money in it whatsoever, and I'm glad they closed it instead of keeping around something they weren't going to keep up to standards. although yes the predictions of horizons were far off and have not come to term yet, some of their conceptualizations of the future are to a degree and thats simply because we think the future is going to look differently in the 60's and 70's then we are post millennium. thats why i said set designs would need to be updated somewhat at least every decade to a) keep up with the fast pace of the technological era and b) to keep up with the public's own characterizations of what the future may look like. Again i liked horizons to, i didn't want to see it go, but I'm happy with whats there now and have realized that it was an inevitability, the company wasn't going to pay for what the attraction needed plain and simple.

• Disney Scribe

They brought back Captin EO. And I wished they hadn't!!

• Metro-Retro Historian

I prefer Captain EO to Honey I shrunk the audience. Hopefully I get to see it one more time before it goes away. A big part of my fondness for Captain EO is that it's where I learned how to do an alveolar trill. Who said EPCOT wasn't educational?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Larryfmscotland View Post
    They brought back Captin EO. And I wished they hadn't!!
    lol agreed, last time i went there with some people I met at the parks in january and we (all mid 20's) just spent the majority of the time laughing at how terrible it was. its like one of those cult movies thats so bad its funny. hopefully they changed the pre show though because i literally fell asleep standing watching the behind the scenes.

I wish they would bring back the Sky Ride. It felt cool floating above the MK.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Bring back: Mr Toad's Wild Ride
    Return to original state: El Rio de Tiempo
    Return to a former state: Spaceship Earth back to Jeremy Irons narration

• formerly very helpful

Horizons x100!!!

Honorable mention:
    World of Motion
    Jeremy Irons Spaceship Earth
    El Rio Del Tiempo
    Journey into Imagination

• secure all cargo

posted by danyoung
    ...I think Disney got this one right. The CMs that worked The Land attraction were mostly very bland, very mechanical, and it was kinda embarrassing to sit through the ride with a real person droning on and on and not very engaged with either the boatload of people or the attraction itself...
    I get this as I certainly have experienced CM's working other attraction not be into the show, plus I get that it's cheaper to have a recording, but the CM's I had for The Land provided so much more detail regarding the specific farming technologies involved and were able to tell us specifically what was being grown and how, and that's what I miss. The recording, somewhat by necessity, is very generic since the crops change from time to time, plus in order to sound professional it's slower than a CM talks so there is less room for the details. Consequently you don't get things the CM's before used to tell us such as an explanation of how hydroponics works, or growing two different crops on the same field different seasons, etc.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    lol agreed, last time i went there with some people I met at the parks in january and we (all mid 20's) just spent the majority of the time laughing at how terrible it was. its like one of those cult movies thats so bad its funny. hopefully they changed the pre show though because i literally fell asleep standing watching the behind the scenes.
    When I went they didn't change it.

It was the same behind the scenes talk and it seemed as if it lasted forever not only due to how boring it was, but due to feeling exhausted walking around all day and when I tried to sit (there was a lot of room and I was in front of the sceen so it was easy to see me) the CM kept telling me to stand up and kept telling us to be as close to the screen as possible even though it wasn't packed.

If they had to bring it back they could have at least fixed the 3D effects. I kept seeing double.

It makes me wonder how long it's going to last considering it seemed as though the reason they brought it back was due to MJ's passing.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Bring back: Mr Toad's Wild Ride
    Return to original state: El Rio de Tiempo
    Return to a former state: Spaceship Earth back to Jeremy Irons narration
    I endorse all of these STRONGLY, and would like to replace Space with Horizons and Imagination back to V 1.0. Heck, they could even replace a *few* animatronics with projections if it'd make 'em happy.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Restore Journey into Imagination to it's ORIGINAL version.

Bring back If You Had Wings. We always loved the quick, short line and the relaxing feeling of the ride!

• Minion

A million times, Journey Into Imagination.

For me, far and away, the best ride ever built at WDW.

I feel so sad that my kids won't get to see it as I did when I was young.
    Down with the Hat

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Journey into imagination!!!!!!!! I despise dr.nigel chatterbox and the annoying modern figment!!!!! I want the original version woth dreamfinder and classic figment back!!!! Tony baxter please make it happen!!!!! Return your creation to how it's supposed to be!!!

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Bring Back: the skyway, I loved that ride for the very reason that it was a nice break in the action, it allowed you to get a breather and get off your feet while enjoying some great views...and they tore it out, from what I saw it was usually packed and had a very high capacity so the line always moved quickly..still don't remember their exact reasoning behind it either

If that's not an option I'd bring back Mr.Toad and his wild ride...

I'd return the Journey into Imagination back to it's original state...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    Bring Back: the skyway, I loved that ride for the very reason that it was a nice break in the action, it allowed you to get a breather and get off your feet while enjoying some great views...and they tore it out, from what I saw it was usually packed and had a very high capacity so the line always moved quickly..still don't remember their exact reasoning behind it either

If that's not an option I'd bring back Mr.Toad and his wild ride...

I'd return the Journey into Imagination back to it's original state...
    The reasons I've heard for removing the Skyway are things like not wanting people to jump out and die or complaints about people spitting or dropping things on the people below. It would also mean Disney would have to clean the roofs of Fantasyland and Tomorrowland buildings and we all know how highly prioritized maintenance is at Walt Disney World. In other words, not very good reasons.

Oh and also riding the Skyway means you are getting across two lands without walking past (or preferably through) any food vendors or gift shops.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast