Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Fantasyland: Before of After the Events of 'Beauty and the Beast'?

Does anyone know if the 'Beauty and the Beast' areas are themed to before or after the events of the film? I am curious if anyone in the community has any ideas about this.

Thanks!

• Shablagoo!

Re: New Fantasyland: Before of After the Events of 'Beauty and the Beast'?

It is inconsistant. In the Be Our Guest restaurant the rose is present, so that would seem to indicate during. However, in the Portrait Gallery there is a giant music box given to Beast and Belle by Maurice, which would suggest later.

The Enchanted Tales with Belle is set to immediately before the dinner/ballroom scene. However, the first part in Maurice's cottage is set after the events of the film.

Gaston hangs around outside his Tavern, so I am guessing during the film for that area.
    Last edited by Melonballer; 11-22-2012 at 02:07 PM.

• Program

Don't overthink it. There is no timeline for the Magic Kingdom.

• Team Hail HYDRA

will people really think about this other than us micechaters?

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Program

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    will people really think about this other than us micechaters?
    You can always count on the hardcore fanbase of anything to yell "THE CONTINUITY IS WRONG."

Happens to everything from Star Wars to Warcraft to Sonic the Hedgehog... Disney is no different, my friend.

• Minion

ORDDU: Yes, and to continue this same subject matter, there are times when Ariel is seen in the parks with legs and other times she's seen as a mermaid. Guests are expected to realize the characters are constantly going backwards and forward in time depending on the themes of the shows, parades and various meet and greets involved. But that's not a bad thing. I believe most guests are able to handle the various differences.

There are more confusing elements than shifting time periods. Inside Belle's cottage, you see marks on the wall measuring Belle's height since she was a toddler. Gaston said he fell for Belle right from the moment he saw her. So he must have been in love with her for a very, very long time, if she's been running around "the poor provincial town" since she was in diapers. That also means Belle must have "came to this poor provincial town" when she could barely walk.

• Minion

ORDDU: Of course, Gaston's claim that he fell in love with Belle from the moment he saw her doesn't have to mean he met her as a toddler. You're assuming way to much unless you have proof as to exactly when he first saw her.

ORWEN: Yeah, let's not get carried away here.

The idea is afterwords for both TLM and BatB:

In Enchanted Tales, the queue is present day and the castle experience is a flashback. Clearly Maurice (and possibly Belle) still live in the cottage after all these years, as Maurice still uses his workshop for new inventions. His latest invention that you can see blueprints for is the music box, which was a wedding day present for Belle and Beast (after the transformation). The magic mirror inside of the cottage take you BACK to the day(night) Belle and Beast fell in love, just before the waltz (explaining why she is in her golden dress).

The town is present day, too (I think). I take it in the way that Gaston survived his fall and he came back to the town, defeated. I imagine that in order to get people thinking of him again (and to avoid thinking about the fact that Belle has married a handsome beast/prince), he smashed his own likeness in the form of the statue over the original fountain as it was seen in the movie.

The castle is mostly set in present day, according to the Prince and Belle "stained glass window" as seen in the last frame of the movie (the wedding day) and the wedding present of the music box in the gallery. Then again, you have to take into account that the beauty of visiting is seeing the enchantment in the castle, and so I imagine that (as we are in THE MAGIC KINGDOM FANTASY FOREST) some magic has leaked into the castle/hasn't quite escaped yet, and comes in the form of the magical roses (the main one and the table side buzzers) and the sleeping armor.

Ariel and Eric are supposedly living together in his castle (as in Little Mermaid 2) and Scuttle conjures up the memories of the story in the visual form that we see it in. That more or less explains the Ariel masthead on the crashed ship, too; Eric is apparently very good at wrecking ships (twice in the movie) and it looks like his third ship has met the same fate. Or it could belong to someone else who saw Ariel as a mermaid.

And I've always imagined that King Triton could transform Ariel back and forth from a Mermaid into a human if she ever wanted to or needed to visit her sisters in Atlantica (after all, that's what happens in the second film). Maybe they turn Eric into a merman, too, for Thanksgiving, and the others come out onto land for Christmas... if they do that sort of thing in Atlantica/Danish-Mediterranian-Fantasy Forest world...
    Do do do do do do dodododododo!

-My Electrical Parade Impersonation

I like you ideas a lot. That is how I am going to think about it for now on! Thank you!

That's an interesting way to see it and explains a lot.

However, technically Gaston did die in the end. It could be present day as you state and in the park they could be implying he survived and even have "Gaston" say he did survive to guests and admit he was defeated, but technically he really did die in the end of the film.

The thing with Gaston is that it is very much implied that he died, but you never truly get to see it (as you do in The Lion King where Scar is devoured by the hungry Hyenas). I can see him sulking off by himself and trying to restore his former glory, even being ditched by the three silly girls. I wonder what he would say if you asked him where they were...
    Do do do do do do dodododododo!

-My Electrical Parade Impersonation

It was confirmed that he did actually die from what I've read. Also, If you freeze frame his eyes before he falls in his eyes have skulls in his pupils (I was only able to see it by pausing it), which was supposed to be a hint of his fate from the animators from what I've heard.

However,
    in later versions released the skulls in his eyes were taken out apparently. Although, I do not know the reasons why. So yes, it would be interesting what Gaston would say about it. He's obviously alive and kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    It was confirmed that he did actually die from what I've read. Also, If you freeze frame his eyes before he falls in his eyes have skulls in his pupils (I was only able to see it by pausing it), which was supposed to be a hint of his fate from the animators from what I've heard.

However,
    in later versions released the skulls in his eyes were taken out apparently. Although, I do not know the reasons why. So yes, it would be interesting what Gaston would say about it. He's obviously alive and kicking.
    I believe this is the other way around: The original version featured no skulls and, as people wondered about his fate, on the re-releases, the pupils were changed to skulls to cement his death. But in relation to the entirety of the thread: I believe that Walt intended for belief in the real world, and in turn continuity, to be suspended during your time in his parks. A small child doesn't care if Ariel has her tail or has legs, or what time period a specific corner of a park is set in. It's all about the magic - which could easily be said to be extended to magically transforming time, if you really needed an excuse.

• Minion

I think it's weird that Maurice would create a music box "to celebrate the happy couple" by creating an image of the Beast as a beast (a form that he greatly disliked) and not as a human prince. I suppose you could go on about how it was created as a reminder of how Belle fell in love with him as a beast, blah blah blah but I still don't think the prince would appreciate looking at it every day. It would be kind of like having someone create a giant sculpture of you that depicts what you look like in your driver's license photo, LOL. I mean, I know he is more recognizable to the public as a beast and that's why they made it that way, but does it really need a backstory anyway?

And about Gaston....hmmm, I dunno. That was a pretty long drop.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast