Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Mostly Harmless.

Another wester river rumor?

So... Another WDW forum is saying that after the Snow White mine train is complete a frontierland refresh/expansion is on the horizon and that expansion is supposed to include some version of the WRE. Anyone out here in micechatland hear anything? So, lets beat this dead horse discuss...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: Another wester river rumor?

The only thing Frontierland is getting is an interactive queue for Thunder Mountain. It might have some references to the Western River Expedition because Imagineering apparently loves taunting us, but the ride itself is never going to happen as long as Splash Mountain still stands.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The only thing Frontierland is getting is an interactive queue for Thunder Mountain. It might have some references to the Western River Expedition because Imagineering apparently loves taunting us, but the ride itself is never going to happen as long as Splash Mountain still stands.
    unless they decide to build numerous draw bridges on and across tom sawyer island, or a long boardwalk along side haunted mansion in liberty square but i agree, most likely not happening.

The rumor I've always heard regarding a Frontierland expansion involved closing Tom Sawyer's Island, filling in the back half of the Rivers of America, building a Grizzly River Run-style flume ride there, permanently docking the riverboat and retooling it as a restaurant, and finally adding a couple of bridges leading to the new area.

Sounds like the GRR-style ride may have been changed to an updated verson of the Western River ride.

Personally, I do not see this plan happening anytime soon because it would cost millions to plan and build. If Cars Land is built, though, I may give the Frontierland rumor a second thought.

• Musical Fireman

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    The rumor I've always heard regarding a Frontierland expansion involved closing Tom Sawyer's Island, filling in the back half of the Rivers of America, building a Grizzly River Run-style flume ride there, permanently docking the riverboat and retooling it as a restaurant, and finally adding a couple of bridges leading to the new area.

Sounds like the GRR-style ride may have been changed to an updated verson of the Western River ride.
    They already have a riverboat themed restaurant, I'd much rather have the ride system be a POTC style and not a white water ride. I don't think Western River will be built in any form, I read that every time Imagineer's pitch the idea its always denied. These threads pop up every once in a while but not any real development.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Mr Test Track

They cant really get rid of Splash Mountain for me because I LOVE that ride soooooo it's never gonna happen.
    Trips to WDW / DLR

Wilderness Lodge - 2 times
    Beach Club - 3 times
    Boardwalk - 2 times
    Caribbean Beach - 1 time
    Grand Floridian - 1 time
    Disneyland Hotel - 1 time
    Pop Century - 3 times
    DTD Holiday Inn Express - April 1st - April 5th

• Metro-Retro Historian

From what I've been able to dig up from reading around other sites, a Western River Expedition-ish ride has made it farther along the development chain than it ever has. Basically it has gone from the blue sky concept stage to the is this an actually possible concept stage, so still nowhere near the "this is actually happening" point.

The plan the fans seem to be sticking to is the one where the eastern bank if the Rivers of America is filled in up to the southern island of Tom Sawyer Island. The riverboat is permanently docked, bridges across Tom Sawyer island are built and the new attraction goes north of the Haunted mansion.

Here are all the things I hate about this plan:

The river needs motion. It adds a charming kinetic touch that makes the land seem more real and enhances the illusion that the land goes on to the north forever. Also people get some inexplicable joy from being on one ride and yelling and waving at people on another ride. Admit it, you do it too.

Placing a Frontierland attraction north of the Haunted Mansion makes little sense. It kind of squashes Liberty square so it can't have that nice going on forever feel and also takes away the remote feel of the Haunted Mansion.

I'd really like to see the Western River Expedition happen but I feel like its window has passed. The best way to do it was the original idea; to have the boat ride and the mine train roller coaster in a single structure so they could have a couple interesting crossover points. To do that now they would have to completely change Big Thunder Mountain and possibly remove Splash Mountain and I don't see either of those things happening.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

The rumor that Western River Expedition is getting built churns out so many times I won't believe a word of it until we actually see some sort of blueprints or concept art that isn't from the 70s.

Not that I would have ANY problem with them building it!

Western River Expedition is a very good idea, but there is no room for it in the Magic Kingdom. As Dapper Dan said, filling in part of the Rivers of America and turning the riverboat into a restaurant is a little crazy. And expensive.

There is no way Splash Mountain is leaving, it is considered by many a classic. I know it does not fit very well into Frontierland, but it is a very fun and detailed ride.

Maybe in another park?

Notice how all these rumors start EVERY TIME Universal announces something or accelerates it's construction projects?

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

^Yup I have noticed that...wondering if it's just Disney fans hoping that the company will wake up and finally do something to retaliate against Universals onslaught of new attractions...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• I'm a Lutheran

Well, you never really know at this point. There have been quite a few surprises regarding Disney parks in recent years, so who knows.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Inappropriate

Would it not be possible to push out into the swamp behind and around Big Thunder? I see on Google Earth that there are backstage buildings there, but those are moveable.

• north west of WDW

Quote Originally Posted by A113PoCfan View Post
    Western River Expedition is a very good idea, but there is no room for it in the Magic Kingdom. As Dapper Dan said, filling in part of the Rivers of America and turning the riverboat into a restaurant is a little crazy. And expensive.

There is no way Splash Mountain is leaving, it is considered by many a classic. I know it does not fit very well into Frontierland, but it is a very fun and detailed ride.

Maybe in another park?
    They said that about the Fantasyland Expansion too.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Would it not be possible to push out into the swamp behind and around Big Thunder? I see on Google Earth that there are backstage buildings there, but those are moveable.
    four big problems with this:

1) you would have to shorten or shift the frontier land station over a bit to prevent the worst bottleneck in disney history

IF they did that

2) you have to find a way to get people either over or under the train tracks

IF they did that

3) they would have to build a BIG drawbridge to get people over the RoA behind the train bridge

IF they did that

4) they would have to find a way to hide the boat locks at the river boat repair station thats just a bit up the river

and after all of that you have something thats out of the way and will surely become a congested walk way with only one way in and one way out unless they added more tom sawyer rafts or boats of some kind on the north shore, getting people in and out. plus you still have to hide or move all the back stage stuff and tie the train in that would be running right beside the walk way almost.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast