• Mr Test Track

The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow

I'd like to know what everybody thinks of the new Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow attraction. I was also wondering if it is about Captian Jack Sparrow because I don't really see him in any of the pictures...it's kinda odd.

http://damouse.com/2012/11/21/the-le...s/#prettyPhoto
    Trips to WDW / DLR

Wilderness Lodge - 2 times
    Beach Club - 3 times
    Boardwalk - 2 times
    Caribbean Beach - 1 time
    Grand Floridian - 1 time
    Disneyland Hotel - 1 time
    Pop Century - 3 times
    DTD Holiday Inn Express - April 1st - April 5th

Re: The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow

There is a video up on Youtube of the entrance and compete show. It looks like its a fun little 8 minute interactive show. No seats, and the MC is an animated pirate skull. Jack shows up about half way through and takes you on as crew to fight the Flying Dutchman.

Neat little show, great effects, typical Disney fun!

• Insomniac

I see it as modern day WDI's lame attempt at the enchanted tiki room... It proves (to me anyways) that animatronics are always better than projections and orignal ideas are better than franchise based ones. However, as someone who likes to fool around with projections, I think the show is kind of cool. The execution, meh. But the idea of an interactive movie experience in DHS is valid. I just wish WDI would be given the funding to create a fully immersive Pixar studios ride (no not one franchise). I would love to see a Pixar studios "tram" tour (people mover would be better) where you got to see your favorite Pixar characters go from sketch to computer and seemingly come to life before your eyes... But that's just me.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• HYDRA

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    I see it as modern day WDI's lame attempt at the enchanted tiki room... It proves (to me anyways) that animatronics are always better than projections and orignal ideas are better than franchise based ones. However, as someone who likes to fool around with projections, I think the show is kind of cool. The execution, meh. But the idea of an interactive movie experience in DHS is valid. I just wish WDI would be given the funding to create a fully immersive Pixar studios ride (no not one franchise). I would love to see a Pixar studios "tram" tour (people mover would be better) where you got to see your favorite Pixar characters go from sketch to computer and seemingly come to life before your eyes... But that's just me.
    i LOVE
    THE PEOPLEMOVER/TRAM
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    i think thats why it seems kind of "half-assed" for lack of a better term as it is to serve as a decent stop gap until something better and more cohesive can be created for the area. most likely as soon as some real concept is created for DHS it will make way for something new near the end of a major construction. just my opinion.

• Minion

The combination of projections and dressed sets reminds me of If You Had Wings and El Rio del Tiempo. It looks like a fun little show. I don't think it'll be a huge draw, but it'll give families something to do while they're waiting for their TSMM Fastpass times.

I'm headed down on Tuesday; I hope it's still in soft open so I can check it out.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

You gotta remember that it isn't a big budget E ticket attraction. It's just a little diversion. Can't wait to see it for myself next week!

• Minion

Looks like Timekeeper on roids in that it's a vaguely Circle-Vision-esque thing with a themed theater, but a theater with far more detail then the Timekeeper and 9-Eye base.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• I'm a Lutheran

Not everything has to be an E-Ticket and this is quite obviously far from an E-Ticket. It seems to be well-executed for an attraction of the sort and is indeed reminiscent of If You Had Wings, minus the ride system and miniature set pieces. If only it had that vintage charm and appeal.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

I love Alain... he has insights into WDI that few have.

Several thoughts about the show
    the limited screen height was detrimental to the Kraken scene.
    Capt. Jack was too mild
    The talking head’s voice wasn’t pirate-tee enough.
    The back of room projections were not used enough… like the head could have moved there once or twice.

Otherwise interesting…

• HYDRA

dumb question
    are there 2 different versions of the ride?
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

Blog Entries

My thoughts are that its better than what was there before. I don't really think this was built so much to be an attraction as it was to test out some new technologies which we may start seeing in other rides. Someone else posted recently that they felt this was a test for the Pirates ride in Shanghai. I wouldn't mind seeing a few rides using projection technology over animatronics. I don't want to see animatronics go away completely, but projection technology is pretty cool and it would allow for the feeling of three dimensional depth on a ride, maybe not to the same level of an animatronic, but there's also a lot you can do with it that you can't with a robot.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I don't really think this was built so much to be an attraction....
    My sense is that anything in this location is much more about promotion than it is about an attraction. It's always been kind of a presentation you might see at a trade show rather than a full blown theme park attraction. I was really disappointed with the Chronicles of Narnia thing. I remember finishing it and thinking "That's it?" So now I go with lowered expectations, which isn't such a bad thing in this one location.

• Rides against injustice

The talking pirate head reminded me of the voice singing the "Spongebob Squarepants" theme. and what was up with Davey Jones' voice?? Sounded nothing like him!!
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------