Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: MVMCP- Getting too crowded?

If you know how to utilize it, admission to the parties is a "bargain" compared to a regular admission to MK. With a party ticket, you can use it to enter the park starting at 4:00pm even though the party doesn't start until 7:00pm. That's an extra 3 hours right there, giving you a total of 8 hours in the park since the parties end at midnight. That's definitely more than "just a few hours".

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    If you know how to utilize it, admission to the parties is a "bargain" compared to a regular admission to MK. With a party ticket, you can use it to enter the park starting at 4:00pm even though the party doesn't start until 7:00pm. That's an extra 3 hours right there, giving you a total of 8 hours in the park since the parties end at midnight. That's definitely more than "just a few hours".
    But it's not a full day either now is it? Arriving there at 4pm works for local visitors and those who happen to arrive from out of state around noon time on that same day, but for those already staying on a disney world hotel or in Orlando somewhere close to Disney, where multi-day passes are involved, then it's no bargain to pay for these parties, even if a resort discount applies. Besides, the day we did this party, we also arrived at 4pm and were greeted with lots of confusion and huge crowds as they day time visitors mingled for space with those party goers entering the park before dusk. To put it mildly.. it was a madhouse of major proportions and confusion. So goes back to the original poster here.. YES, EXPECT CROWDS from 4pm until around 11PM. Sorry but that's the way it is, and reason why paying extra to arrive at the park half way through the day does not work for me.

My wife and I have been traditional MVMCP goers since 2005 and even before then I was going for a few years off and on. I still enjoy the party. Is it a bummer that they don't take the photos and hand out free buttons? Yes, but overall I still think the party is something special to attend. We have annual passes but don't mind paying the extra amount. My experience has been that crowds can vary from year to year and from day to day. I do not agree that you can expect CROWDS until 11pm. I think that the party is especially of value for people who are just visiting for a couple of days and want to experience the Magic Kingdom without paying full admission price.

OP here, thanks for all the replies, they were helpful!

Just to clarify some things before I reply, we've both been to the party before, so it's not a "we've never experienced it" thing, and we're Orlando residents (I have a Seasonal Pass), so it's also not a vacation thing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    The biggest draw for me to these parties was that it wasn't supposed to be very crowded, that they only let a limited number of guests in. If they keep raising the limit of guests, it diminishes the point.
    Exactly! My husband used to like the parties, because it was cheaper than a day park ticket, and without kids, we can do the whole park in 6 hours. It's themed, cool because it's dark, and the lines are short. This is why is was such a big deal to us that the crowds seem to be getting bigger...because my husband doesn't do the parks as often as I do with my pass, and the larger attendance takes away some of the joy for him...

I did the Christmas party for the first time ever last week and over all, I enjoyed it. But that was probably because I had some awesome friends I hung out with all night
    Hanging out with friends does make all the difference! Our friends were coming from Wales, but had to push their trip back some.

Agreed. And while Universal might have a great party (to those recommending it), we're not just trying to find a random Christmas celebration...we wanted to get the pins and do the whole Disney thing if we were going to do it. Maybe even stay at the Wilderness Lodge. Besides, we're doing Universal for our anniversary in March, so trying not to burn ourselves out on those parks just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySam View Post
    My wife and I have been traditional MVMCP goers since 2005 and even before then I was going for a few years off and on. I still enjoy the party. Is it a bummer that they don't take the photos and hand out free buttons? Yes, but overall I still think the party is something special to attend. We have annual passes but don't mind paying the extra amount. My experience has been that crowds can vary from year to year and from day to day. I do not agree that you can expect CROWDS until 11pm. I think that the party is especially of value for people who are just visiting for a couple of days and want to experience the Magic Kingdom without paying full admission price.
    Hmmm. So, in your opinion, it's just pure chance as to whether or not the crowds are bad (well, and date selection). Do you think they're letting more people in/selling more tickets, or is it just that word of mouth is spreading, and more parties are selling out, and they've always intended that many guests per party? I guess it would be hard to answer that without being a cast member...

I have a few questions coming from California we go Disneyland every week so we get to enjoy all Christmas offerings at no additional cost (for now). We are booked and ready to travel to Walt Disney world on Dec 14 – Dec 25.
    Without going to mvmcp can we see the castle with all the led lights on during a day that they don’t have a party. And also on those days can we see a Christmas parade.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Aotphks View Post
    To Dan Young,
    That is so not fair that you have to pay to stay a few extra hours.
    While I would of course prefer not to pay extra for the evening, it is what it is. If I want to see the MK at night on this trip, I gotta pay for the ticket. So I just had to decide if it was worth it for me. In this case, it was.

• Minion

I'm going to the Christmas Party on our trip in December. I'm excited!
    Jeff Wayne

• Kandace Sparkles

Blog Entries

They do this at the Christmas party too. I saw Scrooge McDuck greeting guests in Fantasyland, plus over by the New Fantasyland castle wall I saw a group the consisted of Cinderella, her prince PLUS Lady Tremaine, Drizella & Anastasia. I've NEVER seen all 5 of them in one group like that greeting guests. Thought that was pretty cool.

Plus at both the Halloween and Christmas parties, a lot of the characters out greeting guests are in special holiday costumes you don't see them in outside of the parties. It's fun to see all the costumes.
    I would have to agree the opportunity to meet these characters is a highlight for many. Where else can you meet Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Drizella & Anastasia? 1900 Park Fare, for $35 at dinner. Subtract that from your party ticket and add in your fill of cookies, hot chocolate, apple juice, and apple slices and you're set!
    Author of MiceChat Column:

View all Mice Munchies.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkInTheDark View Post
    I would have to agree the opportunity to meet these characters is a highlight for many. Where else can you meet Cinderella, Prince Charming, Lady Tremaine, Drizella & Anastasia?
    At Tokyo Disneyland that's where, every afternoon in Fantasyland, where these characters do regular meet and greet WITHOUT the need to make a long line. And not just them but the mice characters (Perla etc) AND other princesses and their respective princes. So see how the Magic Kingdom nickles and dimes us all?

---------- Post added 11-28-2012 at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    While I would of course prefer not to pay extra for the evening, it is what it is. If I want to see the MK at night on this trip, I gotta pay for the ticket. So I just had to decide if it was worth it for me. In this case, it was.
    But you still HAD TO PAY for the ticket just because you wanted to see the park at night. Whether you wanted to do it or not makes no difference. You were forced to make a decision in their favor, because they recognize you are an infrequent tourist and as such, that's their rice and beans.
    I still feel sorry you had to pay extra just to see the park at night. make the best of it and enjoy the holiday party and don't forget to enjoy the kiddy dance parties around the park, since after all, that is the demographic they favor now a days. Thank God my children do not care for that so we gladly spend our time doing other more worthy things when we vacation there.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the party I went to a couple weeks ago was sold out, but it seemed most of the crowds were mostly in the Main Street/Hub area. My friends and I waited no more than 5-10 minutes for any ride (if that). We were even back in New Fantasyland for awhile and did Mermaid twice as a walk-on. Big Thunder had a posted 10 minute wait but it was definitely less than that. Same with Pirates. Even Dumbo was a walk-on (though we stopped in the play area to take some photos).

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by abelambriz View Post
    I have a few questions coming from California we go Disneyland every week so we get to enjoy all Christmas offerings at no additional cost (for now). We are booked and ready to travel to Walt Disney world on Dec 14 – Dec 25.
    Without going to mvmcp can we see the castle with all the led lights on during a day that they don’t have a party. And also on those days can we see a Christmas parade.
    The 2 weeks before christmas, they get rid of the parties and just offer the Christmas stuff to daily visitors, so you can enjoy all the entertainment offered in the parties -- the parade, celebrate the season, christmas wishes fireworks, totally tomorrowland christmas -- without paying for a separate ticket. It's just more crowded so get there early to not get the gates closed on you.

Quote Originally Posted by abelambriz View Post
    I have a few questions coming from California we go Disneyland every week so we get to enjoy all Christmas offerings at no additional cost (for now). We are booked and ready to travel to Walt Disney world on Dec 14 Dec 25.
    Without going to mvmcp can we see the castle with all the led lights on during a day that they dont have a party. And also on those days can we see a Christmas parade.
    Yes you will be able to see the Castle every night if you wanted. Castles lighting is held nightly during regular park hours. Additionally, the last MVMCP is Friday is Dec 21st. Disney's Once upon a Christmas Time parade will become a regular park offering, replacing the normal Share a Dream Come True Parade for the holidays, starting December 22nd. In fact, all of the MVMCP offering will become part of the regular operation day offerings on the 22nd. They just won't be limited to evening performances. I agree the MVMCP isn't the value it use to be, but there is something to be said about seeing the Christmas parade at night vs. the middle of the afternoon. But if just want to see it with out paying for MVMCP, that will definately be an option for you starting the 22nd.

Enjoy your visit.

But you still HAD TO PAY for the ticket just because you wanted to see the park at night. Whether you wanted to do it or not makes no difference.
    Sure it did. If I didn't want to see the MK at night, I didn't HAVE to buy anything. It was my choice. And I also had the option to visit the next night (Saturday), when the MK will be open to all. Course, it'll be wall to wall people all trying to see the park at night outside of a Party. My point is that I still had the choice, and I chose to purchase the ticket. Didn't much want to, but it worked out the best for me and my schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Sure it did. If I didn't want to see the MK at night, I didn't HAVE to buy anything. It was my choice. And I also had the option to visit the next night (Saturday), when the MK will be open to all. Course, it'll be wall to wall people all trying to see the park at night outside of a Party. My point is that I still had the choice, and I chose to purchase the ticket. Didn't much want to, but it worked out the best for me and my schedule.
    I understand your position and I am happy for you if you felt the money was well spent. But whether you are happy or not, doesn't excuse Disney management from putting visitors in a position to make a decision. What is the point of offering these "parties" for an up-charge, when everyone from december 22nd-30th will enjoy the same exact entertainment at regular prices? Why not offer the holiday overlay for ALL visitors from late november until the end of december as all other Disney parks (including the other Disney World parks) around the World do??? That's my position on the matter.

What is the point of offering these "parties" for an up-charge, when everyone from december 22nd-30th will enjoy the same exact entertainment at regular prices? Why not offer the holiday overlay for ALL visitors from late november until the end of december as all other Disney parks (including the other Disney World parks) around the World do???
    Hmmm. What's the point? Let's do some math - $57 per ticket, times say 5000 people (and I'm sure they're letting in many more than just 5,000 per party) = $285,000 in ticket sales per night. Multiply by 20 and you get $5.7 million. Quite the incentive for them to do this. In other words, yeah, it's only for the money. And don't forget that when you talk about all the other Disney parks around the world, Disneyland is moving in this direction - probably they'll have the paid evenings in place next year.

But as I said, I agree with you - of course I'd rather not have to pay.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast