Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

MVMCP- Getting too crowded?

Hi!

My husband and I are waffling on whether or not we should go to Very Merry this year. We've noticed that, with the last few years, Not-So-Scary seems more crowded, like they're letting more people in with each night. We were wondering if this is also an issue with Very Merry...is there anyone who has been in the last few years that can say they've seen a noticeable difference in the crowds?

I think it's pretty much his deciding factor on whether or not he wants to do it- he doesn't like crowds, which is why he traditionally liked these parties. But he got annoyed that NSS isn't as easy to get around in as it used to be...

We'd being going the first week or so of December, so none of the really bad days.

Thanks for any opinions!

• Minion

Re: MVMCP- Getting too crowded?

honestly IMO not worth the money. you see the same decorations during the average day, theres a slightly different show thats pretty cool and free cookies. that is not worth the rediculous amount of money you have to pay for the event. save your money and put it towards a nice dinner at a resort instead and enjoy the christmas vibe there. i would suggest the grand floridian, wilderness lodge, or yacht/beach club.

I would not do it. In fact, we decided not to take our vacation at Disney World this year simply because they are not doing anything new that merits paying $60 plus to attend a party for a few hours in the evening or even paying for a vacation there to see nothing new at their themed parks related to Christmas. Not talking about New Fantasyland here, just holiday entertainment.
    Plus, I also noticed the last time we did the Christmas party 3 years ago in early december, there were a lot of people and the park was a bit difficult to navigate and attractions had lines, plus they have closed several restaurants and attractions so that took away value from the price of admission, overcrowding the few open venues. They allowed party and regular day visitors to mingle together and that caused overcrowding. Seemed like the employees do their best to ask people without party wristbands.. but even during the first parade of the evening, we saw people without wristbands watching it. I complained about this to Guest Relations since I felt like I was cheated of my money.

So in conclusion.. the holiday party is not worth it simply because they are presenting the same entertainment at very high prices, and it gets crowded too. I will not pay to attend these parties for the long term.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and and I agree. These special event parties are NOT worth the extra money they charge. Years ago they used to let you have a free picture of your family group with either a character or a nice backdrop of some kind. Now they don't even do that!! They keep raising the prices while taking away the perks they used to have. What a complete slap in the face to guests the Christmas party has turned out to be!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: My sisters and and I agree. These special event parties are NOT worth the extra money they charge. Years ago they used to let you have a free picture of your family group with either a character or a nice backdrop of some kind. Now they don't even do that!! They keep raising the prices while taking away the perks they used to have. What a complete slap in the face to guests the Christmas party has turned out to be!
    so true. IMO the best christmas theme park experience right now is grinchmas at universal. its a great show and they don't even up charge for it, really gets you in the holiday spirit and i would almost put it at the level of something I would have as a family tradition.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Personally I think the non Disney parks add so much more value for day guests that it doesn't warrant paying an extra 60.00 at Disney for their "party"
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Inappropriate

The biggest draw for me to these parties was that it wasn't supposed to be very crowded, that they only let a limited number of guests in. If they keep raising the limit of guests, it diminishes the point. I don't know what's worse, the fact that WDW knows that they can suck every penny out of these parties, or that there are people who buy the tickets for a few hours of "Hey... this is the same as it was earlier today."

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I did the Christmas party for the first time ever last week and over all, I enjoyed it. But that was probably because I had some awesome friends I hung out with all night (and we spent nearly the entire time laughing our heads off with our shenanigans). I ended liking the parade more than I thought I would (I am normally not a parade or fireworks person, but will see things once just to say I saw them). The party we went to was sold out, but the lines for the attractions we did had hardly any wait (most were walk-ons for the most part even if it had a posted 10 minute wait... even Dumbo).

I also did the Halloween party for the 2nd year in a row this year and enjoyed that too. I think I liked the Halloween party a little more (probably because of the candy), but would I do either party again? Probably. The earlier parties are less expensive and usually less crowded (especially the weeknight ones).

In the end, it's all personal preference. If you don't think it's worth it, then that's your prerogative. Others enjoy the parties and go every year.

• Minion

ORDDU: I think Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party is more worthwhile, since they have a Halloween parade that isn't seen at any other time except during this particular event.

ORWEN: Plus they have certain rare characters out for the Halloween party that aren't normally seen.

ORDDU: But the Christmas party is another story altogether. Not that you couldn't still have fun attending it, mind you. It's just that we're here to point out it isn't worth the money, considering you'll get to see all the same things if you wait until a couple of days before Christmas when they finally DO let regular day guests see the Christmas parade and stage shows.

• Kandace Sparkles

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    The earlier parties are less expensive and usually less crowded (especially the weeknight ones).
    This is typically key -- especially for the Halloween parties which begin in September. However, this year the Christmas parties have been quite steady and often sold out. In fact, only one party has not sold out so far. But even on a sold out night things seem to keep moving at the Christmas parties because the cookie and cocoa lines tend to be shorter than candy lines. Why? Because you're going to keep going more for candy to take out with you over the cookies you eat while you're there. (Unless you're a pack rat...then have it it!)

Eric is right, there are a lot of wonderful offerings during the day inside Magic Kingdom. As it gets closer to Christmas (and busier) you can experience even more of these, but with the crowds you're trying to avoid.

The party I attended this year (sold out) felt just like others I've attended in past years (not sold out) so it's just hit or miss I guess. I would personally suggest that if you're thinking about it, chances are you want to go and I would say go for it. Why? Because then you won't have that "what if" feeling or miss out on something you were wanting to experience.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: Plus they have certain rare characters out for the Halloween party that aren't normally seen.
    They do this at the Christmas party too. I saw Scrooge McDuck greeting guests in Fantasyland, plus over by the New Fantasyland castle wall I saw a group the consisted of Cinderella, her prince PLUS Lady Tremaine, Drizella & Anastasia. I've NEVER seen all 5 of them in one group like that greeting guests. Thought that was pretty cool.

Plus at both the Halloween and Christmas parties, a lot of the characters out greeting guests are in special holiday costumes you don't see them in outside of the parties. It's fun to see all the costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Personally I think the non Disney parks add so much more value for day guests that it doesn't warrant paying an extra 60.00 at Disney for their "party"
    Well, keep in mind that Disneyland CA, Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland ARE adding value to their daytime (regular ticket) guests since they offer holiday entertainment FOR ALL day guests. Only the Magic Kingdom appears to be robbing visitors blind with these "pay-for" parties. So shame on Disney World management. Plus I agree, the holiday entertainment at Universal Florida appears to be great, but may I direct you to see a video from Universal Japan's holiday show posted in the micechat Tokyo section?

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I think it's also a matter of access. As Disney has taken up more and more days in December with the Party, it's harder to do a MK evening without having to spring for a Party. I have a 4 day trip coming up next week, and the only evening I could do the MK was a Party evening. So I spruing for the ticket, even though I'm not planning on staying the whole night. If I wanted to see the parade and the castle lights, I pretty much have to pay for a Party night.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by Aotphks View Post
    Well, keep in mind that Disneyland CA, Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland ARE adding value to their daytime (regular ticket) guests since they offer holiday entertainment FOR ALL day guests. Only the Magic Kingdom appears to be robbing visitors blind with these "pay-for" parties. So shame on Disney World management. Plus I agree, the holiday entertainment at Universal Florida appears to be great, but may I direct you to see a video from Universal Japan's holiday show posted in the micechat Tokyo section?
    Even Animal Kingdom does a Christmas version of their parade for daytime guests. Osborne Lights, and when they had it the christmas version of Stars and Motor Cars Parade, at hollywood studios? Also with regular admission. It really is ONLY magic kingdom, and regardless of how they want to claim it, it speaks volumes. I'm really hoping for Disneyland to not follow in florida's footsteps(I almost said follow that trend, but it's not a trend. It's a WDW thing :P).

And yet, the Christmas parties are almost all sold out.. Can Magic Kingdom be blamed for doing it? These people are willing to pay almost a separate day's admission for a few hours of a private party with heavy crowds, the same rides and decorations, a 6 year old parade with 30 year old floats, an even older castle show patched together from other soundtracks... A large portion of them go up and ask presumptuous things like "This is the christmas version of Country Bears playing tonight, right?" and are quickly corrected... Whatever I guess =P

To Dan Young,
    That is so not fair that you have to pay to stay a few extra hours. I would feel so "used" if I did that, but I wouldn't fork extra money to enjoy the park under such scheduling conflict.

---------- Post added 11-28-2012 at 12:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Even Animal Kingdom does a Christmas version of their parade for daytime guests. Osborne Lights, and when they had it the christmas version of Stars and Motor Cars Parade, at hollywood studios? Also with regular admission. It really is ONLY magic kingdom
    I understand that. However, the other parks have been doing the same stuff (Osborne Lights, Jingle Jungle Parade, Candlelight bore, etc etc) for over a decade now. I will no longer plan a vacation to Disney World for the holidays to see the same old entertainment. As for the parties... Same sentiment. Same decades old shows for more money? I don't think so.

And yet, the Christmas parties are almost all sold out.. Can Magic Kingdom be blamed for doing it? These people are willing to pay almost a separate day's admission for a few hours of a private party with heavy crowds, the same rides and decorations, a 6 year old parade with 30 year old floats, an even older castle show patched together from other soundtracks... A large portion of them go up and ask presumptuous things like "This is the christmas version of Country Bears playing tonight, right?" and are quickly corrected... Whatever I guess =P
    Well... again, seems to me the reason why people are willing to pay is only because there is no other option available to them in order to enjoy these holiday shows. Read the post by Dan Young above, who brought up a good point about having no choice but to buy a ticket for the holiday party. So can I blame the Magic Kingdom? ABSOLUTELY YES. They are forcing people to pay for this because when you are on vacation there for 3-6 days, enjoying the holidays at the Magic Kingdom means having to pay.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast