port orleans riverside royal guest rooms River view???

So, I'm putting together my Christmas 2013 WDW trip and I'm staying at port orleans riverside. The room type is the royal guest rooms, and I want to know is paying the up charge for the "River View" worth it?

I've searched everywhere for pictures of the different views and can't find anything. Was hoping for some in put here, and maybe I'd have the luck that someone would have pictures for these views of each room offering.

Garden View
    Water View
    and
    River View.

• Minion

Re: port orleans riverside royal guest rooms River view???

Quote Originally Posted by TONY THE BEAT View Post
    So, I'm putting together my Christmas 2013 WDW trip and I'm staying at port orleans riverside. The room type is the royal guest rooms, and I want to know is paying the up charge for the "River View" worth it?

I've searched everywhere for pictures of the different views and can't find anything. Was hoping for some in put here, and maybe I'd have the luck that someone would have pictures for these views of each room offering.

Garden View
    Water View
    and
    River View.
    in my opinion no, most of the garden view rooms are still very nice and some also give you indirect views of the river so if you ask nicely you might get essentially the same experience minus the up charge.

Thanks. I wish the disney web site would show pictures of the different views of each rooms.

• Minion

Thanks. I wish the disney web site would show pictures of the different views of each rooms.
    lol if they did that then you might realize these things on your own and not pay the upcharge.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

While on the subject of hotel pics...anyone have any of a Boardwalk garden view room? just wondering what the view is like or the rooms actually look like
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    While on the subject of hotel pics...anyone have any of a Boardwalk garden view room? just wondering what the view is like or the rooms actually look like
    i don't have any personally but from what ive seen (stayed across the way at beach club and been to the board walk every vacation) you have to be careful as garden "standard" view can be classified as many things such as pathways adjacent to the busy boardwalk, parking lots, and other not very nice views.

My family and I had a garden view room last Christmas and it was lovely! Trust me, you'll love it! We stayed there a million years ago when it was still Dixie Landing, and they've certainly made some upgrades. Make sure you ask for a renovated room. We happen to get lucky without asking, but there were buildings that have not been renovated as of yet. I'm sure they're still nice, but if you can get a new room, then go for it! I hope this helps!

I want to know is paying the up charge for the "River View" worth it?
    I wouldn't bother with the river view for myself. Some just look out across water at a bunch of trees on the other side. The "non river" include garden (nice) and parking lot (not so nice) views. I'd be more concerned about requesting a room closer to the transportation and food, personally, and get my river time in with a run along the walking path and the boat to Downtown Disney. I haven't seen the renovated special decor rooms at PO but even in the old decor, I'd never had a PO room with the mildew issue like at Caribbean Beach. However I don't care for the rustic theming of the low numbered buildings at PO-R and prefer the higher numbered buildings at Riverside.

• formerly very helpful

I think a lot of it depends on how much time you really plan on spending at your room. If you're just going to be there for sleeping when you're not in the parks, it really doesn't matter too much.
    Also, I've stayed on property in each of the "moderate" priced hotels, in both standard rooms, and rooms with views. In my opinion, it really doesn't make any difference on the enjoyment of the trip. The parking lot view, for instance, is still not a view of a dump. It is all clean and well maintained.
    A free upgrade can be nice, but other than that, I personally wouldn't really sweat it. Besides, wherever you're staying in the resort, plan on walking and exploring.
    Like I alluded to, you won't even be in the room much, or looking out your window, unless you're on your way out to the parks.

Semi-related (hope you don't mind OP) does anybody know if it's better to book a hotel stay on your own or through a travel agent? Any recs on travel agents if that's the better choice?

"How do I depreciate this rock?"

Quote Originally Posted by loveberri87 View Post
    Semi-related (hope you don't mind OP) does anybody know if it's better to book a hotel stay on your own or through a travel agent? Any recs on travel agents if that's the better choice?
    Not a problem. Actually when I booked my trip last May I saved so much money by booking through Priceline and travelocity. I looked and compared prices and it was just as simple as booking though Disney.

Also thank you all for your input on the room view. I plan on just hanging around and exploring at a leisurely pace. Last trip I learned to take my time because after being there for 10 days your body starts to give out...mainly your feet lol. I just fell in love with Riverside so much I needed to stay here on my next trip.

I booked the royal guest room with a garden view. Decided I could just go hang out at the main building and sit in those rocking chairs and look out at the river if I really wanted too.

I've searched everywhere for pictures of the different views and can't find anything. Was hoping for some in put here, and maybe I'd have the luck that someone would have pictures for these views of each room offering
    Try this site, it has a lot of info on POR along with pictures, may have what you need.

www.portorleans.org