Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Bearing with the bears

Re: First Test Track 2.0 ride Video hits the web

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    I'm surprised at how many people are saying they hate it on YouTube.
    It seems to be the rule of thumb, usually the people watching it don't know anything about EPCOT past what they've seen (post 94 management) or argue something ridiculous like how Disney should build a flying car or something.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    I'm surprised at how many people are saying they hate it on YouTube.
    It's amazing to me how some people preferr the feeling of driving through a warehouse (TT 1.0) compared to driving through a computer, (TT 2.0). Oh well, people find Honey Boo Boo entertaining so what can I say.

Totally agree with you. The enclosed, indoor feeling of it kind of ruined it for me. I'll miss the details though.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    It's amazing to me how some people preferr the feeling of driving through a warehouse (TT 1.0) compared to driving through a computer, (TT 2.0). Oh well, people find Honey Boo Boo entertaining so what can I say.
    I'm not a troll, but I honestly find the computer theming somewhat repetitive and it lacks originality after the first few scenes. The test track theme with the different segments of tests made more coherent sense to me, which made it more exciting...all of course, in my opinion.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I'm not a troll, but I honestly find the computer theming somewhat repetitive and it lacks originality after the first few scenes. The test track theme with the different segments of tests made more coherent sense to me, which made it more exciting...all of course, in my opinion.
    i see where your coming from tyler, i think if they upgraded based around the original concept of the ride but just made in more futuristic and less early 90s all around it could have been a little better however ill have to see it in person first before i really know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    lmao! :P
    For the love of Disney....

I don't really like the theme of what are clearly projections on the walls; I would have preferred something more physical, and at LEAST the preservation of the robotic arms, my favorite part of the ride. But I think they did a really great job of disguising the warehouse, and from the laser trees on the update is impeccable. Just wish there were some more dramatic effects in the skidding section and the sustainability section.
    Do do do do do do dodododododo!

-My Electrical Parade Impersonation

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyson 1 View Post
    I don't really like the theme of what are clearly projections on the walls; I would have preferred something more physical, and at LEAST the preservation of the robotic arms, my favorite part of the ride. But I think they did a really great job of disguising the warehouse, and from the laser trees on the update is impeccable. Just wish there were some more dramatic effects in the skidding section and the sustainability section.
    We are all such critics. LOL... but honestly it is better. You can miss an old effect here or there. Some miss the robots, some miss the temperature champers, but overall, this exceeded my expectations.

So glad I was wrong! Again, NICE to be wrong, nice to say I really think Disney did it right this time. In fact I will go on record to say Test Track will take back from Soaring the figurative Flagship Attraction for Epcot.

They did a very good job at New Test Track. I am tempted to call it excellent. I have the opposite impression as the above poster. The new skid test is much better at fooling you. It is not a weather test instead of regular brakes. You can hardly see the slot any more, just bright yellow stripes identifying the lane your suppose to stay in. Unlike Disneyson, I found everything before the laser trees to be MUCH improved but everything after them, just a repainting with day glow colors put under black lights. So there Disneyson and I have different perspectives on this upgraded attraction.

I enjoy the new tests versus the old, normal brakes followed by anti lock brakes. Anti lock brakes weren't new when test track open and definitely not in 2012 when it shut down. The visuals here, while a mix of Tron like sets with projection screens mixed in, are infinitely better then roads cones and construction barricades in a sterile utilitarian warehouse. I don't understand the harsh critics. After the lazer trees it is largely the same experience. As mentioned before it is just put under black lights and the props either traced in tron like grids that glows or day glow paints to out line the tree shapes that were previously there during the uphill climb and are still there now. Regardless, even that part looks much better and this all of the inside is a vast improvement over what was there. For those missing the futuristic fiber optic city that use to be in Space Ship Earth, there is a scene in new Test Track that will almost fill that void.

Overall, I applaud the new test track. I believe it to be much more in the spirit of E.P.C.O.T. Center and I for one and super glad to have it. To me new Test Track is not a budget cut or a watering down of a classic, instead it is a genuine upgrade that will re-establish Test Track as the parks premier attraction.

• Armchair Imagineer

I hate this new version. It looks like an arranged marriage between Test Track and Space Mountain!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

This ride is SO MUCH COOLER NOW.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Bearing with the bears

I can sort of relate to this, the first section after the initial climb seems a bit odd without the suspension and brake tests, they obviously had to find some other element to put in it's place, makes the scene seem a bit rushed.

• Metro-Retro Historian

My first impression is that it's better than the old test track (not very hard to accomplish) but still not as good as World of Motion.

The outdoor section looks like they didn't know what to do with it, so they decided to do nothing. It doesn't fit the rest of the ride at all.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BandM View Post
    I can sort of relate to this, the first section after the initial climb seems a bit odd without the suspension and brake tests, they obviously had to find some other element to put in it's place, makes the scene seem a bit rushed.
    Yeah, I kinda felt that about all the areas. Like, the environmental test rooms served a purpose in the last incarnation--now they could be anything. In fact, this whole computer theme means that not a whole lot is going on. I dont know, I just felt like at least in the old ride you had a clear purpose, to test the car, and this is just a bunch of random movements within a computer (which is no more than projections on a wall)

• Certified in everything

This feels like Future World should. Dare I say the kind of inspired forward thinking that embodies every aspect of the attraction reminds me of the original EPCOT.

I could never get over that the old version felt like and old junky facility filled with cardboard shrubbery. Do I miss it? Yes. But I'll take this new version any day.

My only two issues: I think the power section would be better if it were enclosed and (this is less an issue with the current attraction) I still miss the original car crash effect.

Yeah, I kinda felt that about all the areas. Like, the environmental test rooms served a purpose in the last incarnation--now they could be anything. In fact, this whole computer theme means that not a whole lot is going on. I dont know, I just felt like at least in the old ride you had a clear purpose, to test the car, and this is just a bunch of random movements within a computer (which is no more than projections on a wall)

And I have to disagree with this. There is a clear purpose here to test 4 aspects of the cars performance, one at a time. Each big/circle/ring signifies entry into a new test, and there are very clear results at the end of each segments. I LOVE how clear this is.

I think when people say it feels like things are "missing" from the initial climb etc. it is because they are comparing it to the old ride (i.e. a test used to be here, and now there is not one here). I don't think this is fair, you have to approach it as a new ride. Think of that initial climb as the opening to PotC... it is setting up the environment you are about to enter. That section of the track has a different purpose now, not a lack of purpose.
    Last edited by cruise; 12-04-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Bearing with the bears

Eh, I think it's more a problem with the layout more then the concept, the test are pretty clearly marked however they're not similar enough to the original batch of tests and the layout doesn't seem suited for them. Or maybe it's the angle they took for this refurb, it's more about designing then testing something that's already been created.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast