Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: First Test Track 2.0 ride Video hits the web

This thread is such a stark contrast from the comments I've seen on YouTube and on the rest of the internet as a whole. We really are the 1% here.

Honestly, I prefer the previous version of the ride. No, it didn't belong in Future World. But it was a solid attraction with immersive theming that allowed you to believe you were really in a GM testing facility. All of that is gone now. Yeah, I suppose the aesthetics are more pleasing to the eye, but the transition from the indoor tests to the speed test outside is so jarring, it feels like you're going from Test Track 2.0 right back into the original Test Track. And they're two completely different rides, so that doesn't work well at all imo. They should have enclosed that portion in keeping with the rest of the ride... which actually doesn't feel much like a Test Track at all anymore. Maybe if they changed the name I'd feel better about it.

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by Santana View Post
    This thread is such a stark contrast from the comments I've seen on YouTube and on the rest of the internet as a whole. We really are the 1% here.

Honestly, I prefer the previous version of the ride. No, it didn't belong in Future World. But it was a solid attraction with immersive theming that allowed you to believe you were really in a GM testing facility. All of that is gone now. Yeah, I suppose the aesthetics are more pleasing to the eye, but the transition from the indoor tests to the speed test outside is so jarring, it feels like you're going from Test Track 2.0 right back into the original Test Track. And they're two completely different rides, so that doesn't work well at all imo. They should have enclosed that portion in keeping with the rest of the ride... which actually doesn't feel much like a Test Track at all anymore. Maybe if they changed the name I'd feel better about it.
    In what sense? Every forum seems to be split on the love/hate factor for this.

• Team Hail HYDRA

welcome to micechat BandM

just wondering,what other forums???

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BandM View Post
    Eh, I think it's more a problem with the layout more then the concept, the test are pretty clearly marked however they're not similar enough to the original batch of tests and the layout doesn't seem suited for them. Or maybe it's the angle they took for this refurb, it's more about designing then testing something that's already been created.
    Yeah, actually that's kinda what I meant. It just feels like something is not right IMO. In the original ride, there were clear segments and tests with purposes and outcomes. This version seems to be Test 1-computer, Test 2-computer, Test 3-computer. If they had built the ride to originally be like this, they could've just made the track one loop around the building and on to the outdoor section and it would be the same effect. I dont know, something's missing I guess.

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    welcome to micechat BandM

just wondering,what other forums???
    Firstly, thanks, been poking around here for a few years. Finally got around to making an account.
    Secondly, I'm not sure I'm at liberty to say honestly, I've seen people get in trouble with moderators for linking forums on other forums before.

Like it, dont like it, it slays me how people can judge an attraction based on a video, and not a personal visit to Epcot, and ride the ride. Thats when im going to make my judgement. From what i see, its a whole differant ride. Im looking forward to checking it out in Feb.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    Like it, dont like it, it slays me how people can judge an attraction based on a video, and not a personal visit to Epcot, and ride the ride. Thats when im going to make my judgement. From what i see, its a whole differant ride. Im looking forward to checking it out in Feb.
    Don't think of it as "judgment" but rather as feedback on what could be a "previsualization" by the Imagineers. If a previz fails to impress, then the Imagineers will do more work on the attraction. In this case, I have seen videos of both the previous Test Track and the new Tron version. In my opinion, something is lacking in the new version...

Blog Entries

I think without the ability to completely rip out the entire thing and start over they've done an amazing job. I can't comment as to whether I love it or hate it until I see it in person as video only relates so much, but it looks great. My only real complaint is the transition from the indoor to outdoor portion. I love the visuals in the theming there but it kind of breaks the story. They could have simply done something along the lines of trying to convince us our car was now being generated from a computer file into a real car and being created or something to throw us out. However it doesn't destroy the ride and the cost to enclose that section would have been massive.

Considering that I rode the original Test Track twice, hated it both times due to its lack of creativity, I think I'll much prefer this version which at least feels like it belongs in Future World. Now if the video screens still stay broken all the time and effects keep breaking just like they did all the time before then its still a problematic ride, but if those have been corrected, then great.

I think it's amazing.. and the closest we will ever get to a TRON ride here at WDW.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    I think it's amazing.. and the closest we will ever get to a TRON ride here at WDW.
    Agreed! No kidding, eh? I'm still waiting on one of those. ( BTW, great avatar Zuse )

I've never been on this ride so it's cool to see it. Thanks for posting the video. I like the Tron-ish elements of it. .....but.

Something's missing. It feels flat. I recall in all the Disney books I've read about the parks' creation and imagineering that they always stressed how important the story was on each ride. They wanted to work out the elements of the story before making the ride to make sure they had an immersive experience.

This ride's story is like.... I don't know, eating cold cereal. Something's very flat about this experience. If you guys who have been on it are saying it's better then I shudder to ask what it was like before.

I agree completely with mratigan, this ride would benefit by having something else done to the outside. A series of lights that blink TOWARDS you to give an increased illusion of speed. Might as well just put the whole ride indoors.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

Did anyone else notice that when you re-enter the show building after the speed portion, they didn't remove the plastic curtain above the track... They just cut it off with a pair of scissors?

We are not the 1%. The ride is definitely better then a sterile warehouse enviroment pretending to test anti lock brakes, weather "extremes", and lateral forces. Old Test Track was a joke. It had a story, but the story, it was just one fake test experience after another.

I have been on TT2.0 and while I was there the responses from the crowds coming off the attraction were overwhelmingly positive! You Tube is not a means to judge this attraction. While I respect you prefer the older version, I cannot wrap my mind around why. This is a far better uses of the ride system, and I have NO doubt having been on it that if both test 1.0 and test track 2.0 were built from scratch at a new park, 2.0 would definitely need a larger budget to be completed. It is not a budget cut or a watering down of any kind. 2.0 is also considerably less commercial with Chevy then 1.0 was with GM. Aside from the show room at the exit, the Chevy Sponsorship is subtle (parts of the que) to to almost non esistent during parts like the design your car rooms, and the ride itself. Thank you for not beating me over the head with GM/Chevy this and GM/Chevy that.

Journey into your Imagination was a budget cut. Test Track 2.0 is not. Mark my words, it will not be a flash in the pan, it will reestablish Test Track as Epcot's premier attraction, and it will maintain that status for some time to come. Stop reading the you tube comments, and start watching the guests coming off the attraction, look at their faces, their body language, and listen in at their excitement and you'll know this to be true.

Gone will be the days where the most commen comment heard about 1.0 was "The outside part was fun".
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 12-05-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Enjoyed it from beginning to end....three times in a row! Didn't hear one negative word from anyone after exiting the attraction. Actually heard the exact opposite. Nothing but smiling faces and adults acting just like the kids that were with them! A YouTube version of this ride does not compare to the real experience.....so save your hate til after you ride it. Then, if you can pout from beginning to end, you have the right to complain.
    WDW-'73,'76,'77,'78,'79,'80,'81,'82,'86,'91,'95,'96,'9 7,'99,'00,'01,'02,'03,'05,'06,'07,
    Jan'08,Feb'08,Sept'09,Feb'10,Apr'10,Sept'10,Jan'11 ,Apr'11,May'11,Sept'11,Dec'11,Mar'12,May'12,Sept/Oct'12,Nov'12
    DL-
    '79,'81,'84,'91,'05,'07,'10

Maybe I shouldn't talk since I have never been on this ride. It just seems like, besides the dark part, the ride is just an ugly version of RSR. Can't they at least clean grime of the side of the building?

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    We are not the 1%. The ride is definitely better then a sterile warehouse enviroment pretending to test anti lock brakes, weather "extremes", and lateral forces. Old Test Track was a joke. It had a story, but the story, it was just one fake test experience after another.

I have been on TT2.0 and while I was there the responses from the crowds coming off the attraction were overwhelmingly positive! You Tube is not a means to judge this attraction. While I respect you prefer the older version, I cannot wrap my mind around why. This is a far better uses of the ride system, and I have NO doubt having been on it that if both test 1.0 and test track 2.0 were built from scratch at a new park, 2.0 would definitely need a larger budget to be completed. It is not a budget cut or a watering down of any kind. 2.0 is also considerably less commercial with Chevy then 1.0 was with GM. Aside from the show room at the exit, the Chevy Sponsorship is subtle (parts of the que) to to almost non esistent during parts like the design your car rooms, and the ride itself. Thank you for not beating me over the head with GM/Chevy this and GM/Chevy that.

Journey into your Imagination was a budget cut. Test Track 2.0 is not. Mark my words, it will not be a flash in the pan, it will reestablish Test Track as Epcot's premier attraction, and it will maintain that status for some time to come. Stop reading the you tube comments, and start watching the guests coming off the attraction, look at their faces, their body language, and listen in at their excitement and you'll know this to be true.

Gone will be the days where the most commen comment heard about 1.0 was "The outside part was fun".
    It's just your opinion vs. mine. As for the original Test Track just being "one fake test experience after another", doesn't that still stand for the new version as well? It's the same general concept, just presented in a different way. I simply prefer the older version for it's believability, as I already stated, and that's all there is to it. Not much to "wrap your head around". And I didn't even mention the ride's budget at all, so idk what you're on about with that...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast