Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• Armchair Imagineer

Re: First Test Track 2.0 ride Video hits the web

At least Radiator Springs Racers and the original Test Track had a cohesive story line as you progressed through the attraction. What exactly is the story line for this "Test Track Tron Version"?

Wow, that looks neat is better than I expected

The original test track was ok, however it did bothered me that it didn't showed anything futuristic when it was located in the future world area.

This new makeover has a better fit of what the original Epcot's area is supposed to be .

Now the ride should had being called "Tron Track" instead, LOL

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    At least Radiator Springs Racers and the original Test Track had a cohesive story line as you progressed through the attraction. What exactly is the story line for this "Test Track Tron Version"?
    Do Pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion or It's a Small World have cohesive story-lines?
    http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/...-of-story.html

sorry for this post, it was an error as I did tried to edit. See below for corrected post.
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 12-06-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Honestly, TT 1.0 did not have a story. It was an experience, not a story. You experienced automobile safety tests, or a simulation there of. You were told you going to experience it, then you did, and then it was over.

Story? Hardly. There is no protagonist or antagonist, no plot, no twist or development, no issue to be over come, nothing. TT 1.0 was an experience. There is nothing wrong with that because many attractions at Disney are experience attractions. Where is the Story in Soaring over California, The WDW Railroad and Dumbo? You get in, you ride, and nothing happens except the experience of these rides themselves.

Mission Space has a story, a presentation of a series of events that from a plot, with a beginning, a challenge to over come, and an defined ending. Its a Small World does not have a story, on the other hand Star Tours clearly does.

I find it an odd criticism say that TT1.0 was better because it had a story. It did not. TT2.0 is also an experience attraction, not a story. But it has been upgrade in that with TT2.0 you get some input into the experience. You can challenge yourself to do better, to design a better car but in a sci-fy fun way. You can compete with others and see who does best. The experience is far more engaging then it was as you are no longer a passive bystander just there for the ride along. But you can be if you want.

And that is the funny thing I find about the critics. The physical attributes of the ride are the same except in this version, the "Belgium Blocks" are gone and it's a smooth ride down hill instead. All other ride attributes, for all practical proposes, are identical. The fish tale stop experience and the evasive maneuver are still there, it's only the surroundings around the ride vehicle have changed.

If your miss the sterile warehouse look, vast spaces of nothing but generic yet real orange and white road barriers and cones, tests design to introduce technologies such as Anti Lock Brakes and weather resistant paint, then 2.0 is a lost to you and always will be.

But for most who actually ride the attraction, it will be a far better experience due to the enhancements made.

• Armchair Imagineer

I respectfully disagree, Fellow Chatters. Small World is a story about traveling the world and experiencing the songs and costumes of each nation and ethnicity. POTC is a story about traveling through a pirate's world (specifically, the world of Jack Sparrow and the movies) and experiencing pirates in various scenes.

With Tron Test Track (3-T), all I see are those quasi-neon light ropes installed over the previous attraction props (even the tractor-trailer that you swerve away from!). From those of you who have actually ridden the new attraction, please tell me -- what is the story?

• Bearing with the bears

I respectfully disagree, Fellow Chatters. Small World is a story about traveling the world and experiencing the songs and costumes of each nation and ethnicity. POTC is a story about traveling through a pirate's world (specifically, the world of Jack Sparrow and the movies) and experiencing pirates in various scenes.

With Tron Test Track (3-T), all I see are those quasi-neon light ropes installed over the previous attraction props (even the tractor-trailer that you swerve away from!). From those of you who have actually ridden the new attraction, please tell me -- what is the story?
    There's no villain in ITASW, no plot twist or even a plot, it's a visual experience, more like opening a pop-up book, a caricature of the different world and it's cultures. Moreover, the original iteration of POTC (DL's version) lacked any in your face story (until the Sparrow update) or even an ending (until the treasure room scene that was shoehorned into the WDW version).
    I fail to see how visiting a GM test facility to test a car is any better then visiting a Chevrolet design center, designing your vehicle and testing it in in "virtual reality" (presented in dark-light-o vision). Seriously now how is GM telling me ABS is the best thing in the world better then "automatic crash avoidance", it's as gimmicky but at least 2.0 is in the dark and future themed.

• Hello Dolly.

But someone just explained to you what an actual story was. And as they stated, Pirates, Small World, or Test Track 1 & 2 never had an exact one (some until recently).

If you enjoyed the old version's experience better, that's fine. But with that kind of thinking, I can easily say Test Track 2.0 is a story about us testing our vehicle in a future-like SIM environment, only real big difference being before it was in an very un-futuristic setting known as a warehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Agreed! No kidding, eh? I'm still waiting on one of those. ( BTW, great avatar Zuse )

Thanks! "It's stunning I Knoooowww". X)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    We are not the 1%. The ride is definitely better then a sterile warehouse enviroment pretending to test anti lock brakes, weather "extremes", and lateral forces. Old Test Track was a joke. It had a story, but the story, it was just one fake test experience after another.

I have been on TT2.0 and while I was there the responses from the crowds coming off the attraction were overwhelmingly positive! You Tube is not a means to judge this attraction. While I respect you prefer the older version, I cannot wrap my mind around why. This is a far better uses of the ride system, and I have NO doubt having been on it that if both test 1.0 and test track 2.0 were built from scratch at a new park, 2.0 would definitely need a larger budget to be completed. It is not a budget cut or a watering down of any kind. 2.0 is also considerably less commercial with Chevy then 1.0 was with GM. Aside from the show room at the exit, the Chevy Sponsorship is subtle (parts of the que) to to almost non esistent during parts like the design your car rooms, and the ride itself. Thank you for not beating me over the head with GM/Chevy this and GM/Chevy that.

Journey into your Imagination was a budget cut. Test Track 2.0 is not. Mark my words, it will not be a flash in the pan, it will reestablish Test Track as Epcot's premier attraction, and it will maintain that status for some time to come. Stop reading the you tube comments, and start watching the guests coming off the attraction, look at their faces, their body language, and listen in at their excitement and you'll know this to be true.

Gone will be the days where the most commen comment heard about 1.0 was "The outside part was fun".
    You can't say for a fact that this version is better. Aesthetically, it may be more pleasing, but it is not better. It's not worse, either. What you're saying about fake test experiences, that's essentially what this one is as well, but it's not as clear. At least in the old one, there were clear 'parts' to the ride--2.0 seems to be one continuous circuit from a computer screen (which, by the way, is blacklight paint on warehouse walls), to another computer screen, to another computer screen...like in the segment with the lateral test--in the old version, it was to test the cars lateral compatibility, but in the new version you're just climbing up a hill and zig-zagging...why? You're still in the computer.

The warehouse may have been bland but at least it sold an authentic experience of what real car tests are like. The computer theming is cool...for 30 seconds. Then it gets repetitive. There's no need for any layout, it's just the same design over and over again. Call me crazy, but I much preferred TT 1--it just made more sense to me and was a more complete and full experience.

By the way, when have guests ever not been smiling and glowing after getting off a new ride? That's really not a good way to judge an attraction's success, IMO, that's just hype.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    You can't say for a fact that this version is better. Aesthetically, it may be more pleasing, but it is not better. It's not worse, either. What you're saying about fake test experiences, that's essentially what this one is as well, but it's not as clear. At least in the old one, there were clear 'parts' to the ride--2.0 seems to be one continuous circuit from a computer screen (which, by the way, is blacklight paint on warehouse walls), to another computer screen, to another computer screen...like in the segment with the lateral test--in the old version, it was to test the cars lateral compatibility, but in the new version you're just climbing up a hill and zig-zagging...why? You're still in the computer.

The warehouse may have been bland but at least it sold an authentic experience of what real car tests are like. The computer theming is cool...for 30 seconds. Then it gets repetitive. There's no need for any layout, it's just the same design over and over again. Call me crazy, but I much preferred TT 1--it just made more sense to me and was a more complete and full experience.

By the way, when have guests ever not been smiling and glowing after getting off a new ride? That's really not a good way to judge an attraction's success, IMO, that's just hype.

With apologies, but honestly I didn't mean to state my observations as fact. Mark my words? yes, but they are still my words and though I believe them to be true, things like it will not be a flash in the pan are my words, and time will tell if they morph into fact or if someone sticks it back to me later.

You prefer the sterile warehouse enviroment, I strongly prefer the blacklight paint on new walls built in what use to be a wide open warehouse. I like the creation of a Tron like sim world over simply because it is something I need to go on Test Tract 2.0 to see. I did not need to go on Test Track 1.0 to see authentic Crash Barricades, road cones, and robots. (But I did like the robots, and I do miss them to the point that is one part I do wish had been kept and re-skinned). Where you say the computer themeing is cool... for 30 seconds, I say the bland authentic experience of real car tests was never convincing or cool, not even for 30 seconds.

There have been examples of guests not smilling and glowing after getting off a new ride. Its not just hype. But TT isn't a new ride. Its an updated ride. When Imagination was updated, there was a lack of smile and glow. Ditto for SSE. When Space Mountain was updated, it really seemed to me like the general response was disappointment that they did not do more to the ride experience itself. Clearly with TT they did plenty to change the experience and my preception is from watching guests come off of the 2.0 version is most are genuinely excited about what they just experienced.

I am sorry you don't like the changes and lament the lost of your old version. Hopefully though you can at least see that in test track's case, this was no ride slaughter ala Imagination. Did anyone working on the new Imagination really think they were "improving" the attraction over the original version? But here they made a sincere effort to update and improve TT and as always the case, some will not agree. You are part of that population and that is fine.
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 12-08-2012 at 11:27 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

As a resident curmudgeon I give Disney a hard time (because I know it can do better).

But after riding this version of Test Track, for me personally it makes me hate the ORIGINAL test track more.

This version is a visual and immerse sensory feast! You are surrounded by the TRON like grid, and digital world. It makes you realize how little we settled for in Test Track 1.0

While Test Track 2.0 isn't going to knock Spiderman or Harry Potter off their crown as best attraction in Orlando.

Test Track 2.0 became the best attraction in Epcot, and one that I look forward to riding again! (something I couldn't say about TT 1.0)
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah I was never a big fan of test Track 1.0, but 2.0 blew me away. I really loved it. I loved the TRON inspired look and now how it's about building the car of the future (which fits EPCOT's original innovative theme) instead of something that's been around for 60+ years.

• Minion

Insidethemagic posted a really cool video today, where he replaced the ride soundtrack with a Tron:Legacy soundtrack.

YouTube

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Insidethemagic posted a really cool video today, where he replaced the ride soundtrack with a Tron:Legacy soundtrack.

YouTube
    Oddly fitting.
    Now can someone get working in one with the WoM soundtrack?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast