Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Re: First Test Track 2.0 ride Video hits the web

Not that anyone's looking for another opinion...

I rode it for the first time on Monday. During the first ride, I didn't love it. I could see the original in my head as we were riding, and it felt like we were speeding through all of the parts. (At the time, it felt like the overall running time was a lot shorter than the original. I cynically thought of it as a way to increase capacity.)

I rode it again on Tuesday. Finally, I was able to shake off my mental comparisons to the original. And I loved it. As people have already said, the visuals are beautiful. If you think of it as a medium thrill ride, it's much more enjoyable.

A couple of things just don't work. The truck just feels wrong - it needs to be more worked over to match the theme - you can just see too much of the original truck. And I really, really miss the "crash test" fake-out in the last scene. The first skid out is confusing now, too, as it's not well-explained - it just kind of happens.

But, ignoring those, I definitely prefer it to the original. I don't think I ever rode the original back-to-back - usually, once was enough. But I rode the new version five times over three days (yay, single rider), and I think I'd have ridden it more had I had more time.

The "TRON" theme in some ways feels like more of a throwback to World of Motion. The city visuals are reminiscent of the futuristic city at the end of the ride.

My last ride of the week was fun. I was next to an older couple (60s/70s) who asked me to "help them figure out what to do". (I showed them how to tap the cards.) I wasn't sure at first if they knew what they were getting into, or if they'd enjoy it at all - I dreaded the first skid out as it was happening. But they took it in stride. At the end of the ride - despite having some rain falling during the outdoor part (painful) - they raved. They LOVED it. It sounded like they wanted to ride it again.

I have a couple of questions for those of you that rode the ride... Are you allowed to "re-use" a car? Do you get to keep the card?

Technically, no, you can't keep the cards. If you wanted to, you could just recreate the car on the next ride. The cards are just plain white cards - they don't have any markings on them or anything that would make them an interesting souvenir. You're supposed to deposit them in bin before you enter the gift shop.

Without knowing for sure, and if you really wanted to, I'd bet you could pocket the card and use it again on the next ride. As best as I could tell, it seems like they just have the vehicle information on them and nothing else. It didn't seem like there was any information on the card that was unique to the person or to the card.

Why I say that - when you're lining up right before boarding, you're supposed to tap a little monitor next to your spot in the line. Your car is then "uploaded" and assigned to the appropriate spot where you're sitting in the vehicle. I saw repeatedly where one rider tapped their card against more than one of the monitors - essentially loading in their car for other riders. The other riders then could not upload theirs. (In one case, I saw a mom swipe her card against all three, and her entire family rode the ride with her car.)

That actually seemed like a flaw of the system. People couldn't figure out what to do with the monitor, and couldn't undo do it if they made a mistake.

But, in my mind, using the same car again kind of takes the fun out of it. I'm not sure why you'd want to ride with the same car twice. Part of the fun is coming up with different combinations and seeing how the results fare.

However, some of that part of the ride is a bit overplayed in descriptions of the ride - I saw a lot of people forgo coming up with a car after the first ride. I quit after the second ride - although part of that was because you only get one "option" if you're in the FastPass or single rider line, so it's not really a customized car. It's not an essential part of the ride as far as the enjoyment of the ride - it's more of a bonus thing. (Honestly, it's just something to keep people busy while in line, though you can do some fun stuff with them in the post-ride area.)
    Last edited by brightlined; 12-13-2012 at 09:04 PM.

While I'm thinking about it - one thing that they didn't fix in the upgrade were the repeated breakdowns of the ride system. I was told that the ride was down for three hours on Sunday, and was down for a couple of hours on Monday while I was at the park.

Thanks!

• Minion

I rod it this week on our trip. I think the ride is visually amazing, but I felt that the former areas where you went through the heat chamber, cold chamber, etc feels like dead space with nothing much to look at.
    Jeff Wayne

• Minion

Finally rode it in person on Sunday--still not impressed. It's all very nice visually but all seems to be dead space. I rode in the single riders and my party and I decided to skip the car design so maybe that's what everyone is excited about? But like other posters have said, things like the truck crash and former heat/cold chambers lack purpose now and just seem to be poorly-executed dead space. I miss the physical sensations of heat and cold, with the icicles to look at in the freezing chamber and the robots in the corrosive room. Back in the old Test Track, the fake trees in the lateral testing segment were meant to be corny, they were just part of a testing ground, but now that we are supposed to be in a computer, the fake trees are just that--fake trees that *should* feel more real. And even in the finale when you had all those crashed cars to look at now feels dead--the whole thing beyond the first hill feels dead honestly. I miss the physical sets (side note, the obviousness that the 'grid' is just a wall with blacklight paint is very distracting to me), the stuff to look at, and of course, the physical effects that are missing in this somewhat lacking attraction...IMO

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Finally rode it in person on Sunday--still not impressed. It's all very nice visually but all seems to be dead space. I rode in the single riders and my party and I decided to skip the car design so maybe that's what everyone is excited about? But like other posters have said, things like the truck crash and former heat/cold chambers lack purpose now and just seem to be poorly-executed dead space. I miss the physical sensations of heat and cold, with the icicles to look at in the freezing chamber and the robots in the corrosive room. Back in the old Test Track, the fake trees in the lateral testing segment were meant to be corny, they were just part of a testing ground, but now that we are supposed to be in a computer, the fake trees are just that--fake trees that *should* feel more real. And even in the finale when you had all those crashed cars to look at now feels dead--the whole thing beyond the first hill feels dead honestly. I miss the physical sets (side note, the obviousness that the 'grid' is just a wall with blacklight paint is very distracting to me), the stuff to look at, and of course, the physical effects that are missing in this somewhat lacking attraction...IMO
    Fair enough. You didn't like it.

I do miss the robots. The heat lamps were awesome! I do not miss the fake icicles. They looked fake and the room wasn't nearly cold enough to be even near the temperature have had real icicles, and it should have been. It was basically just blowing air on you.

Over all I strongly prefer the Grid of blacklight paint, fake lazer trees, and glow in the dark star fields over the old "physical" sets of authentic road cones, construction barriers, and a couple of crashed up cars. While yes, those things were real, they were also real regular to the point of "really?, because I can't see these things when I take a drive down anyroad USA?" and none of that was remotely futuristic. The Grid walls at least attempt to portray the future, something that lacking in Epcot's Future World that I am glad to see in TT2.0.

While I am disappointed that actually riding it did not change your mind, I am glad you posted so anyway. Agreed to disagree sometimes is best.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    While I am disappointed that actually riding it did not change your mind, I am glad you posted so anyway. Agreed to disagree sometimes is best.
    Definitely! Just wanted to post my opinion and start up some conversation! And I get what you're saying, because yeah the scenery was very common--I guess it just made sense to me

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Actually now that people have said it, while the ride is visually stunning, it all does feel like dead space.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I rode it yesterday and loved it! It feels so cutting edge and futuristic, much as one would expect when they enter the digital realm! You can re-use a card, however, for some reason when I went in the fastpass lane on the second ride the card scanned at car entry, but i don't remember it showing on the screen after the final loop. reusing it in the post show worked perfectly however. I found out something kind of neat about the cards, shining a bright light through them reveals the inside of the card is purple.

While I did really like the original Test Track, I feel this version is very much superior to the original.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456