View Poll Results: Good idea?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Let's take a Stand! We want it back!

25 92.59%
  • No! The attraction is fine as it is! Don't bother!

2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Attention All Journey into Imagination (1983-2000) Fans! We need to do this!

in my opinion there are so many bigger fish to fry.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: Attention All Journey into Imagination (1983-2000) Fans! We need to do this!

As one of the biggest proponents of bringing back the original Journey into Imagination ride, I've put a lot of thought into how a project of this type could be accomplished. There are also a couple inaccuracies I'd like to clear up. Fortunately I brought a visual aid.

As you can see right away, contrary to what other posters have said, the current attraction uses approximately 2/3 of the original track. The only parts that were removed are areas A, B, H, and I. It is true that these were filled with concrete, but as we all know from looking at old sidewalks, concrete is hardly indestructible. Get a few pickaxes in there and that stuff comes right up. As for the new walls that were added, they are clearly not load-bearing so a few burly blokes with sledgehammers could also make short work of those.

The other big issue is section B, the area of the turntable filled with concrete. As stated above, concrete isn't permanent and can be dug out. As for the turntable itself, it has been reported to be broken beyond repair. Now this doesn't mean that a turntable can never function in this same space ever again. What it does mean is that the one that is there now would need to be completely removed and replaced with an all new turntable. This is actually good news because even if the old turntable still worked it would have to be completely replaced anyway because some jerk decided to fill it with concrete.

The problem with the original turntable is that it worked on 1980s technology. Ride vehicles would physically attach to the turntable to synchronize with the scene and then detach as they moved into the dream port. The problem that occurred was that because not everybody weighs the same different groups of cars would cause more strain on the turntable motor than others and the speed of the turntable would be inconsistent. Ride vehicles not attached to the turntable would have to speed up or slow down to compensate which caused problems synching them to the load and unload speedramps. The solution then was to get rid of the speedramps, but it still didn't fix the straining turntable motor part.

There is a very simple solution to this problem now that ipod shuffles have more computing power than the big cabinets that controlled this ride back in 1983. Now the vehicles can synch to the turntable without having to physically connect to it. They just need sensors on the front of the vehicles that will match up with ones on the turntable. The turntable then maintains a smooth consistent speed because it is always pulling the same weight and the vehicles just make sure they stay in the right spot.

In order to accomplish this that blue shaded section of the pavilion would have to be gutted, but it's not like Disney has never gutted part or all of an EPCOT pavilion before like The Living Seas, or World of Motion. This project would be expensive and difficult, but it is by no means impossible. I'm hoping that with the success of Carsland has taught Disney that in order to make things that really impress people you have to spend the money to make them right. If that way of thinking catches on, Imagination could have a future.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Musical Fireman

Thanks for the clarity Dapper Dan!! You truly deserve your place as a Metro-Retro Historian, gutting the pavilion is now made easier now Disney just has to wrap their heads around to what will really make us return. The Metro-Retro Historical Society has saved the day again.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    As one of the biggest proponents of bringing back the original Journey into Imagination ride, I've put a lot of thought into how a project of this type could be accomplished. There are also a couple inaccuracies I'd like to clear up. Fortunately I brought a visual aid.

As you can see right away, contrary to what other posters have said, the current attraction uses approximately 2/3 of the original track. The only parts that were removed are areas A, B, H, and I. It is true that these were filled with concrete, but as we all know from looking at old sidewalks, concrete is hardly indestructible. Get a few pickaxes in there and that stuff comes right up. As for the new walls that were added, they are clearly not load-bearing so a few burly blokes with sledgehammers could also make short work of those.

The other big issue is section B, the area of the turntable filled with concrete. As stated above, concrete isn't permanent and can be dug out. As for the turntable itself, it has been reported to be broken beyond repair. Now this doesn't mean that a turntable can never function in this same space ever again. What it does mean is that the one that is there now would need to be completely removed and replaced with an all new turntable. This is actually good news because even if the old turntable still worked it would have to be completely replaced anyway because some jerk decided to fill it with concrete.

The problem with the original turntable is that it worked on 1980s technology. Ride vehicles would physically attach to the turntable to synchronize with the scene and then detach as they moved into the dream port. The problem that occurred was that because not everybody weighs the same different groups of cars would cause more strain on the turntable motor than others and the speed of the turntable would be inconsistent. Ride vehicles not attached to the turntable would have to speed up or slow down to compensate which caused problems synching them to the load and unload speedramps. The solution then was to get rid of the speedramps, but it still didn't fix the straining turntable motor part.

There is a very simple solution to this problem now that ipod shuffles have more computing power than the big cabinets that controlled this ride back in 1983. Now the vehicles can synch to the turntable without having to physically connect to it. They just need sensors on the front of the vehicles that will match up with ones on the turntable. The turntable then maintains a smooth consistent speed because it is always pulling the same weight and the vehicles just make sure they stay in the right spot.

In order to accomplish this that blue shaded section of the pavilion would have to be gutted, but it's not like Disney has never gutted part or all of an EPCOT pavilion before like The Living Seas, or World of Motion. This project would be expensive and difficult, but it is by no means impossible. I'm hoping that with the success of Carsland has taught Disney that in order to make things that really impress people you have to spend the money to make them right. If that way of thinking catches on, Imagination could have a future.
    It's a great proposal, Disney already has integrated vehicle tracking tech in multiple rides (mainly TT 2.0 which shows off all the cars going around the circuit at the post-show) and considering the tech used at TDL I don't even see the need to rebuild the track.
    But again the main problem is not if it can be done, it's convincing the men in suits to spend a dime on the ride. These are the people that turned a pavilion with multiple rides into an "event" pavilion by painting everything bronze (much like another disaster that occurred in 1998 in Anaheim). Even with Tony Baxter pushing it still probably wouldn't happen because they couldn't push some marketing gimmick with it. We need executives with passion, not people with money symbols in their eyes.
    Anyway, great plan, hope one day we can all walk around the walking jumping fountains and know the ride behind us isn't a shell of it's former self.

Now if you don't mind me going off topic for a second:
    The Living Seas
    How was this gutted to the level of WoM? Most of the original structure is still there, they only knocked down one of the two original pre-show theaters (heck Turtle Talk still exits onto the queue line for the ride), removed the hydrolators and turned a maintenance area into a "dark ride". The post-show area is still mostly intact (expect for a few modified exhibits) and even the VIP lounge survived. Although the one from WoM also did but that ride had/has a sponsor while TLS lost it's sponsor years before the refurb.
    Last edited by BandM; 12-04-2012 at 02:03 PM.

• Unhelpful User

Dapper Dan you are incredible, you know how to make things work even better. Hey Goofy Donald, now who's the full of it.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    in my opinion there are so many bigger fish to fry.
    SPOT ON

Yes, this as much as I would love to see a classic attraction such as this restored to it's former glory, I think the bigger issue at hand with EPCOT is a Future world as a whole that's a shadow of it's former self, reduced capacity overall at the park(I'm looking at you Wonders of Life Pavilion) as well as overall the maintenance quality and show quality of rides/shows across the resort that are either in need of A) Updates(small or massive), or B) Quasi-Rebuilds, just to return back to their former glory and be in complete working order...

I'm sorry but Journey into Imagination should be down that list alittle bit IMO..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Mostly Harmless.

Excuse my ignorance on the subject as the first time I made it to the east coast parks was in 2003, but is a turntable really needed these days? I mean, isn't there a Winnie the Pooh ride out there that uses a virtual track just controlled with sensors? Couldn't a similar system be thrown in here for a lot less money?
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    SPOT ON

Yes, this as much as I would love to see a classic attraction such as this restored to it's former glory, I think the bigger issue at hand with EPCOT is a Future world as a whole that's a shadow of it's former self, reduced capacity overall at the park(I'm looking at you Wonders of Life Pavilion) as well as overall the maintenance quality and show quality of rides/shows across the resort that are either in need of A) Updates(small or massive), or B) Quasi-Rebuilds, just to return back to their former glory and be in complete working order...

I'm sorry but Journey into Imagination should be down that list alittle bit IMO..
    off topic. This thread it about Journey into Imagination guys.

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Excuse my ignorance on the subject as the first time I made it to the east coast parks was in 2003, but is a turntable really needed these days? I mean, isn't there a Winnie the Pooh ride out there that uses a virtual track just controlled with sensors? Couldn't a similar system be thrown in here for a lot less money?
    Eh thing is the Dreamfinder "floated" above the chamber, unless you can make a cart that suspends his vehicle a few feet in the air it would look odd.

Anything is possible if you use your imagination!

Yes please, bring it back!
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

• Banned User

More proof the new version fails! Look at this ROFL! Trapped in Journey Into Imagination With Figment - YouTube

Maybe they could bring it back in the style of what is in this link here (scroll down to where it says "BEYOND INFINITE - Tomorrow's Imagination"): E82 - The Epcot Legacy - Historical Expositions - GATHER, STORE, RE-COMBINE A History of Imagination (Part*4).
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    Maybe they could bring it back in the style of what is in this link here (scroll down to where it says "BEYOND INFINITE - Tomorrow's Imagination"): E82 - The Epcot Legacy - Historical Expositions - GATHER, STORE, RE-COMBINE A History of Imagination (Part*4).
    Well the idea sounds nice, but it'd be better maybe if they had that for the idea of a 3d show in the magic eye theater. I'd prefer the ride to be the original with updated technology,animatronics,and restored original soundtrack. But that's just my opinion though.

• Banned User

Btw I'd just like to add one more thing, I don't want them to bring back HISTA. It's just more advertisement for that awful scientist. That idea u sent me though sounds great for a 3d show though.

• Banned User

Oh yes and if they ever bring back the original version I'd like it to be called Journey into Imagination with Dreamfinder and Figment

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast