View Poll Results: Good idea?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Let's take a Stand! We want it back!

25 92.59%
  • No! The attraction is fine as it is! Don't bother!

2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: Attention All Journey into Imagination (1983-2000) Fans! We need to do this!

Quote Originally Posted by BandM View Post
    Now if you don't mind me going off topic for a second:

How was this gutted to the level of WoM? Most of the original structure is still there, they only knocked down one of the two original pre-show theaters (heck Turtle Talk still exits onto the queue line for the ride), removed the hydrolators and turned a maintenance area into a "dark ride". The post-show area is still mostly intact (expect for a few modified exhibits) and even the VIP lounge survived. Although the one from WoM also did but that ride had/has a sponsor while TLS lost it's sponsor years before the refurb.
    Just to clarify, The Living Seas was my example of a partially renovated pavilion and World of Motion was the example of a fully gutted one. I wasn't trying to equate the two. Since a good chunk of the original attraction layout still exists I would hope that the renovation would be closer to the Seas than World of Motion, but who knows.

As usual it's more of a matter of would Disney pay for the restoration more than if it's possible. Despite my emotional attachment to Journey into Imagination, I think that it's still in slightly better shape than Innoventions but nowhere near as bad as the vacant Wonders of Life and Odyssey.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Re: Attention All Journey into Imagination (1983-2000) Fans! We need to do this!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Just to clarify, The Living Seas was my example of a partially renovated pavilion and World of Motion was the example of a fully gutted one. I wasn't trying to equate the two. Since a good chunk of the original attraction layout still exists I would hope that the renovation would be closer to the Seas than World of Motion, but who knows.

As usual it's more of a matter of would Disney pay for the restoration more than if it's possible. Despite my emotional attachment to Journey into Imagination, I think that it's still in slightly better shape than Innoventions but nowhere near as bad as the vacant Wonders of Life and Odyssey.
    Thank u for supporting us fans' idea. We need to get Disney to get in their heads that they need to bring back the original Journey into Imagination! It's for the better of EPCOT center! They need to also bring back d image works and the Dreamfinder and Figment walk around too.

• Bearing with the bears

Thanks for the clarification and yeah I guess a ride is better then an "event" pavilion.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by edward1978 View Post
    Dapper Dan you are incredible, you know how to make things work even better. Hey Goofy Donald, now who's the full of it.
    again with the calling me out, not a very good idea my friend. although dan does admittedly do a very good job in attempting to restore the original ride in the pavilion, it is a little more complicated then it seems. the turntable is the primary issue here i think we can all agree followed closely by the covered track in the various sections mentioned previously. first to cover the issue of the track, its not as simple as just whacking away at the rock until its all gone and boom everything is ok again. it becomes a veritable archeological expedition once you get past the top layer as you have to be extremely careful not to break into the base foundation or original ride and track components, you do that and your automatically rebuilding that affected section again from foundation repairs. then is the issue of the track itself under the concrete which would need to be sandblasted and worked on for a long period off time just to remove the left over concrete thats seeped into the nooks and crannies. now that you have removed all the image works and queue elements gotten through all the concrete which is a rather substantial pad, the final steps being basically guys with hammers and chisels, and sandblasted essentially the entire area you have now brought the track back to its bare bones original state.

as for the turntable, a new one cant just be simply brought in. the last one had the building built around it. for a new turntable to replace the old one they would not only need to find a way to get the original one out, probably by cutting it into pieces with torches and removing it that way which would be a very very very slow process. then once you have removed the old turntable you need to basically demolish half of the imagination pavilion just to get a new turntable in again. the entrance provided by dan IMO is not very feasible as the only way you could bring in the turntable really is via crane and if you were going to enter in that direction you would cause the demolition of the glass pyramids as well as a much longer route to the actual place it needs to be. regardless doing this may very well be a theoretically possible process, however in our world and reality it is impossible for this to ever occur. it is just so ridiculously impractical for the company to ever even consider that it will never be done. again i would love to see it one more time, this was a favorite ride for me as a kid too, however the best we can look forward to is a new attraction in the same space that is reminiscent of the original. I don't understand why that would be such a bad thing and its actually a practical and reasonable request of Disney for something they could do to improve the parks right now.

I'll eat my hat edward if I'm wrong so I plan on keeping this hat forever.

DreamfinderFigment, I love your enthusiasm!! It really shows what a great attraction Journey Into Imagination was, when your inspiring enthusiasm is drawn from old ride videos rather than experiencing it in person. Imagineers need to take note of all the fans that never got to experience it, but still love it as much as the fans that did ride it.

Journey Into Imagination was Epcot's masterpiece.

• Metro-Retro Historian

It seems very weird to me that they would leave the track intact and just fill it with concrete. Disney's standard procedure seems to be to cannibalize what they can and those track pieces and motors were probably salvaged to be used as replacement parts for other omnimovers. Even if they were cemented over, I would think it would be far faster and cheaper to just tear it all out and lay new track anyway than try to save what may be lying underneath. The only real problem is not destroying the foundation when you go digging, but I don't think that it's too big of an issue.

The old turntable (if it is still a separate piece from the floor) would be torn up and tossed out. There is no reason to keep any of it intact since it is broken beyond repair and attempting to do so would just slow down the process which costs more money. If I remember right, there is a maintenance bay at the rear of the pavilion that is a good deal larger than the guest entrance. The new turntable would still have to be built in sections and assembled onsite, but that's not a big deal and pretty standard procedure when revolves are built for stage productions.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

I don't necessary think they need to bring back the original, but they do need to replace the current version. If they can get a deep pocket sponsor, I think they may even be able to put something better than the original in the space. Something utilizing current technologies and the vast amount of space truly available.

I would also like to see them bring back the upstairs ImageWorks, or somehow utilize that space.

• Bearing with the bears

It seems very weird to me that they would leave the track intact and just fill it with concrete. Disney's standard procedure seems to be to cannibalize what they can and those track pieces and motors were probably salvaged to be used as replacement parts for other omnimovers. Even if they were cemented over, I would think it would be far faster and cheaper to just tear it all out and lay new track anyway than try to save what may be lying underneath. The only real problem is not destroying the foundation when you go digging, but I don't think that it's too big of an issue.
    I remember seeing an old image from the construction on the "upgrade", it showed that the track had been pulled and half of the trench for it had been covered up with wood the other had concrete pored into it. I think you can see a part of the original trench that's been covered over with wood near the staircase, next to the wall they knocked down that had a large chunk of the original facade that decorated the lobby.
    The old turntable (if it is still a separate piece from the floor) would be torn up and tossed out. There is no reason to keep any of it intact since it is broken beyond repair and attempting to do so would just slow down the process which costs more money. If I remember right, there is a maintenance bay at the rear of the pavilion that is a good deal larger than the guest entrance. The new turntable would still have to be built in sections and assembled onsite, but that's not a big deal and pretty standard procedure when revolves are built for stage productions.
    There's two major problems with this, firstly half of the turntable attached to the ceiling (it held the walls, Dreamfinder and his vehicle) and we have no idea how damaged that is or if it's even there anymore. Secondly, the building was built AROUND the turntable, a good chunk of the building would probably have to either be demolished or they would have to tear open a large part of the ceiling, like they did with Star Tours at DL.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MrNick View Post
    DreamfinderFigment, I love your enthusiasm!! It really shows what a great attraction Journey Into Imagination was, when your inspiring enthusiasm is drawn from old ride videos rather than experiencing it in person. Imagineers need to take note of all the fans that never got to experience it, but still love it as much as the fans that did ride it.

Journey Into Imagination was Epcot's masterpiece.
    Ya I mean I've never even been to Florida or Epcot. Only seen videos of all three attractions. I've been a fan of the original since last year. But when I saw the two new ones this year I got very pissed off. I didn't know they changed it at first and I made a goal that if I ever went to epcot I'd ride that attraction. But now since I found out they changed it and took out Dreamfinder and Classic Figment it pisses me off! That's the reason why I wanna start this campaign

• Musical Fireman

The first thing to do is to establish an agreement on what we want. Do we want Imagination! as it was in 1983 or do we want something in the spirit of it? Then we have to get the word to Disney, one email ain't gonna do it they'll just have a secretary write a letter from Mickey. If we get enough recognition then they will take it to the board. They most likely will assume that a "special" appearance by the Dreamfinder and some merchandise will keep our mouths closed. We keep the bombardment of letters and such going, they will eventually give in even if it takes a few years (I'm talking to you DCA).

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post
    The first thing to do is to establish an agreement on what we want. Do we want Imagination! as it was in 1983 or do we want something in the spirit of it? Then we have to get the word to Disney, one email ain't gonna do it they'll just have a secretary write a letter from Mickey. If we get enough recognition then they will take it to the board. They most likely will assume that a "special" appearance by the Dreamfinder and some merchandise will keep our mouths closed. We keep the bombardment of letters and such going, they will eventually give in even if it takes a few years (I'm talking to you DCA).

The original!!!! The new attraction in the spirit of the original should be a 3d show

• Banned User

I say bring back the original, make the 3d show in the magic eye theater in spirit of the original. That way itd it's better with the pavilion then

• Banned User

I'd like the ride back as it was in 1983 except with a remastered soundtrack,and new lightning affects of course (if they don't have the original animatronics to restore then I'd like them to remake them. I'd like the magic eye theater to put in a new 3d show starring Dreamfinder and Figment.

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by SparkChaser View Post

Last time we bombarded them with letters we got arrogant Figment and Eric Idle in a lab coat. Maybe we should try another approach this time.

• Inappropriate

I feel like reverting a ride back to how it was in the past goes against everything Epcot stands for. We should move forward with either a complete replacement or another imagining in the SPIRIT of the original. Plus that sucker up and blow our minds!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast