MGM to Hollywood Studios

Originally, I was going to ask why the name change from MGM to Hollywood Studios, but instead did a little research due to assuming that might be really old news to all of you (since I'm more new to all this than most of you who post here).

I found this article: Yesterland Presents Disney-MGM Studios: The End of the MGM Name

Which as I said, more than likely it is old news to all of you, but something else struck me that made me want to write a post, which was this:

In August 2007, a Disney press release announced that Disney-MGM Studios would have a new name in January 2008. There was even an official reason:

“The new name reflects how the park has grown from representing the golden age of movies to a celebration of the new entertainment that today’s Hollywood has to offer—in music, television, movies and theater,” said Meg Crofton, president of Walt Disney World Resort.

I maybe younger and haven't visited Hollywood Studios for the first time until 2009. However, I know a decent amount of Disney's history and from what I've seen, or read nothing drastic has really changed about the park, nor have they done anything to try to drastically change the park, or develop, or change the park's theme in anyway. Yes, some rides, or attractions may have come and gone (like all parks), but from what they said back in 2007 they made it almost sound as if new and big changes were coming to Hollywood Studios.

Disney obviously has a lot of other projects going on right now, but I just wanted to know if anyone else thought this maybe when this first happened back in 2007? Or maybe have different thoughts, or opinions now that a few years have passed now?

• Resident Mouse

Re: MGM to Hollywood Studios

I read the rumor that the name change was due to a copyright dispute with MGM, although the park still has The Great Movie Ride, which features numerous MGM films.
    -MickeyM

*President of the Mickey Mouse Club*

Actually from the many things I read, most of the films are actually Warner Bros. films. Only a few of the films are actually MGM films. In the contract apparently "Singin' in the Rain" and "The Wizard of Oz" were managed to get out of the big contact deal between Disney and MGM back in the 1980's. However, I suppose since it was still affiliated with MGM it was allowed into the ride.

There are certain parts, however (such as the tornado in The Wizard of Oz) that Disney could not do, because apparently they would have had to shell out a lot of cash in order to buy the rights to that scene and concept of the tornado (which was then turned into Fantasia, hence the air rushing through the room during the scene).

Also, they had the contract for 20 years and due to all the conflict over the deal and the contract deal finally being over, that was when the name change took place due to there not being a renewed contract deal.

• Metro-Retro Historian

I think this may also be part of the reason why The Great Movie Ride hasn't had any significant updates. It's probably one of those perpetuity deals where Disney can continue use the MGM properties but once they stop they lose them. I don't know if that means changing one scene would make it a new ride so the deal would be over and Disney would lose rites to all of the other scenes, but I'm sure that if MGM or whoever owns them now wanted to pull their films out they could try to argue that.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

I do not know how true this is (or if it's possible), but apparently Disney owns a certain part of The Wizard of Oz and the specific part is what we see on the ride. However, I do not know if it's possibly to only own one part of a film, or if it is if they really do.

However, as for the whole debate of whether Disney can keep The Great Movie Ride, or not due to MGM owning some of the films here is another part of the article that will explain all this:

"Turner kept the pre-1986 movies and television programs for his Turner Broadcasting System television empire. Turner merged with Time Warner (parent of Warner Bros.) in 1996.

With some exceptions, The Great Movie Ride is really The Great Movies-That-Are-Owned-By-Warner-Bros. Ride.

Actually, some of MGM’s most valuable properties, including The Wizard of Oz andSingin’ in the Rain, were never part of the overall contract between MGM and Disney. They were excluded from the contract and licensed separately.

Disney doesn’t disclose the terms of their licensing agreements with Warner Bros. and the other copyright holders of The Great Movie Ride content. Presumably, Warner Bros. and the others are happy to take Disney’s money to allow Disney to publicize their older movies (which might even translate to additional DVD sales for those companies). But if, for some reason, one of the contracts can’t be renewed at some point, it would be easy for Disney to change out a scene in the ride.
    In any case, there’s no reason to worry that the end of the licensing agreement with MGM also means closure of The Great Movie Ride."

As you can see, apparently it isn't a big issue. So, The Great Movie Ride (for now) is allowed to stay. However, as for that being the reason of why there hasn't been any updates, I don't think so. I think it's simply not updated since it isn't a priority.

• Musical Fireman

Well the studios represents "The Hollywood that was, never was and always will be" and if ya look at it (I'm a huge movie buff by the way) Warner Bros. and MGM were "The Movies" during the time the park represents, Disney was just realizing the success of Mickey Mouse and working on the Silly Symphonies when these moguls were at their "Golden Age".

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

• Metro-Retro Historian

Oh good, so it's not being neglected for any real reason, it's just the usual Disney management not wanting to spend any money on anything ever.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

There is another MGM movie in the ride: Tarzan. MGM made six Tarzan films in the 30s and the movies sometimes appear on TCM and they are available on TCM DVDs. And it's the MGM Tarzans, because it has the world-famous Tarzan yell, which only exists in those films.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Oops! Looks like I should've read Werner Weiss's article before I made that post.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Oh good, so it's not being neglected for any real reason, it's just the usual Disney management not wanting to spend any money on anything ever.
    That's what it comes down to it basically. But yeah, I just wanted to point those things out and see what people really thought about it.

That was my first thought (that they simply didn't work on it due to copy right reasons), but basically they aren't working on it, because well they don't really see the point in working on it I suppose. They removed all the MGM logos and name brands and although there are a few MGM films in the ride, there doesn't seem to be any conflict with copyright. It just Disney simply doesn't want to work on the ride.