View Poll Results: How thrilled are about Avatar coming to WDW?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thrilled! Another film-based ride!

3 5.77%
  • Thrilled! So much better than Star Wars!

0 0%
  • Thrilled! I'l get to live the movie I still watch weekly!

0 0%
  • Thrilled! As I am with everything at WDW!

6 11.54%
  • Thrilled! Enough with Disney connections!

1 1.92%
  • NOT thrilled. Please don't hate me.

44 84.62%
  • Thrilled! Why not share money with a rare property you don't own?

2 3.85%
  • Thrilled! So much better than anything Marvel!

0 0%
  • Thrilled that they take their time at WDW, unlike maniacs at Universal!

1 1.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Team Hail HYDRA

Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

^
    WDI
    you have the answer in front of your face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ITS STAR WARS
    that is answer

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• some guy

"Disney is pouring millions of dollars into a highly themed expansion of a resort that desperately needs it, adding several new attractions and experiences that transport you to unique fantasy world, but it's themed to a movie I only kind of (dis/)liked) / didn't even see ... LET'S BURN DOWN DISNEY WORLD." - everyone on this message board.
    RAKE-A-REESY, CLUCK CLUCK

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fravitmonk View Post
    "Disney is pouring millions of dollars into a highly themed expansion of a resort that desperately needs it, adding several new attractions and experiences that transport you to unique fantasy world, but it's themed to a movie I only kind of (dis/)liked) / didn't even see ... LET'S BURN DOWN DISNEY WORLD." - everyone on this message board.
    why settle when we know they can do better, they have the resources to do better, and there is better being created down the road?

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by fravitmonk View Post
    I can do this kind of extreme oversimplification too. "Disney is doing something. We should love it!"
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• some guy

I don't love it. I also don't hate it. I haven't been there to form any opinion because it doesn't exist yet.

• Metro-Retro Historian

And I'm not against the idea just because I didn't like/see the movie. See how the oversimplification thing doesn't work.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I won't kick and scream until I see the product, and if the product is amazing, I will love it, if it is poor then you will hear about! lol
    I simply can't BELIEVE that someone has the audacity to bring well thought out logic into a rabid discussion like this!

• some guy

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I simply can't BELIEVE that someone has the audacity to bring well thought out logic into a rabid discussion like this!
    LOL. ^this^

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    And I'm not against the idea just because I didn't like/see the movie. See how the oversimplification thing doesn't work.
    Fair point. But I just feel like there's an undue amount of panic / hatred towards this project when we're so early in the game. Aside from some leaked blueprints of questionable origin, we really don't know anything about Avatarland. I feel the only argument against the project that has any kind of weight is that Avatar doesn't have the kind of staying power to justify such a large expansion based on it. But neither did Song of the South, and it's attraction is doing just fine.

Again, I'll reserve any kind of judgement until it's open and I've been there myself. If that's not good enough for some people, I would at least hope that people would wait until there's SOME kind of official concept art / roster of attractions / anything. I was apprehensive and somewhat against the idea of Carsland right up until hours before I visited the first. I sure felt foolish after that first visit.

• former CM

Long post, comin' through!

I'm in the "No on Avatar!" camp,
    even though I liked the movie almost half as much as I LOVED "How to Train Your Dragon," but I'll look at the other side of this debate.

Maybe the next two Avatar films will be much better than the next two Star Wars movies. With the Avatar films you have (in my opinion) a hard-working genius/perfectionist, James Cameron, at the helm.

I remember a cluster of USC film school students REALLY, REALLY excited about the soon-to-open episode one before it came out. I asked, "What if it stinks?" and was met with the "Shut up!" reactions you'd expect on a stairway on the south side of the Lucas Building.

Has Disney announced a director for Star Wars? (Matthew Vaughn? Has this been confirmed?)

When Disney announced the acquisition of Lucas Ltd., it sounded like the first new Star Wars movie would be rushed into production so soon that they would be unable to attract one of the best qualified directors working today, because the most sought after directors today are booked up with projects for the next two years.

So Disney might go the route of the first Star Trek movie, which was directed by the formerly great Robert Wise, who unlike Clint Eastwood (Letters from Iwo Jima, etc.), was not a great director in his 70s. Star Trek: the Motion Picture was no "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

Or Disney might might still defer too much to George Lucas, which in my opinion would be letting him know anything till the premiere. You'd think Disney couldn't blow Star Wars. But are you old enough to remember when the Muppets were really popular before Disney overthrew that franchise? (If you're under 35, probably not.)

My first choice for a Star Wars director would be Danny Boyle who, btw, just turned down the opportunity to direct the next James Bond movie. Slumdog showed that he is the anti-Bay when it comes honest & compelling human emotions. My second choice would be Joss Whedon (Avengers).

What I'd really like would be for Cameron to direct an entire project of an Intergalactic Creatures Land & attraction in the Animal Kingdom that would combine a ride (not a theater with moving seats) with 3-D film effects in a way that surpasses Universal's Spiderman, Transformers, and Harry Potter attractions. Walt Disney World could use a "Dam- the budget!" visionary these days. The new Fantasyland has some nice decorative touches, but is playing it safe with its underwhelming Mermaid clone & dwarfed coaster attractions.

Speaking of Cameron, maybe let him direct the next Star Wars movie. He did an impressive job on Aliens. He could even have a tall blue person (?) make an ET-like cameo in it.
    If one mated with a Wookie the result could be a giant Grover or other Disney muppet, or Beast-like character for Disney's X-men. A Blookie!

--Tom Sinsky
    P.S. How about letting J.K. Rowling work on the next Star Wars story for one year? Maybe she could do for that what Michael Chabon did for "Spiderman 2."
    Last edited by jcruise86; 12-12-2012 at 09:07 PM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    . . . a rabid discussion like this!
    Dan, are you hunting wabids?

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I would suspect that first we get Avatar and then Star Wars land/section/world, soon after or the annoucement of a new land/section/world close to the end of Avatar's area construction. That's just how it should and most likely will play out.

EVERYONE is just gonna have to get on board with the Avatar train, cross your arms and pout your face but your gonna ride the train to Avatar with the rest of us. It's a coming and it's a coming with or without your support or complaints. But I will say the Disney universe would not be complete if we didn't have those against their chosen projects.

What I will say is that when the company does focus it's shift to Star Wars with new lands/areas/rides/shows etc, I will say no matter what they come up with, people here will be against it. They are not doing it right, it should be this way and that way, that's now what George Lucas would have done, it's doesn't make sense they are putting it there, or building it this big or that small. That's how it is going to be with Avatar land all the way through to the land's grand opening.

I'm sure "WDI" and Disney are throwing Sweet Brown's catch phrase "Ain't nobody got time for that" at this board's "dislike" for the project. Just saying!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    EVERYONE is just gonna have to get on board with the Avatar train, cross your arms and pout your face but your gonna ride the train to Avatar with the rest of us. It's a coming and it's a coming with or without your support or complaints. But I will say the Disney universe would not be complete if we didn't have those against their chosen projects.
    I'm still on the Western River Expedition and Asian resort train.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123