View Poll Results: How thrilled are about Avatar coming to WDW?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thrilled! Another film-based ride!

    3 5.77%
  • Thrilled! So much better than Star Wars!

    0 0%
  • Thrilled! I'l get to live the movie I still watch weekly!

    0 0%
  • Thrilled! As I am with everything at WDW!

    6 11.54%
  • Thrilled! Enough with Disney connections!

    1 1.92%
  • NOT thrilled. Please don't hate me.

    44 84.62%
  • Thrilled! Why not share money with a rare property you don't own?

    2 3.85%
  • Thrilled! So much better than anything Marvel!

    0 0%
  • Thrilled that they take their time at WDW, unlike maniacs at Universal!

    1 1.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1

    • former CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    S. Cal. via Milw. & Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,712

    Question How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    You may answer more than one option.

    I had more fun watching Dreamworks' "How to Train Your Dragon" than "Avatar,"
    but then again I liked "Lincoln," so what do I know?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 12-07-2012 at 07:46 AM.

  2. #2

    • Insomniac
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Wonderful World of Utah?
    Posts
    1,968

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    Scale of 1-10... 1. Avatar was a mediocre film. Nothing memorable, no memorable characters, nothing I would like to live in real life ever happened. Avatar land just reminds me of everything wrong with TDO. Horrible idea from the start.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

  3. #3

    • A Dark Future
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,402

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    I'd be more thrilled waking up to find my face stapled to the carpet.
    Last edited by Pizzapants; 12-07-2012 at 05:46 AM.

  4. #4

    • Mostly Harmless.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in Idaho...
    Posts
    1,822

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    I'd rather be chased down and eaten by a velociraptor while at a golf course...

    but it would be kinda fun to see the character auditions. I hope they go something like this: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Bznws...%3DBznwsT6r_tM
    Last edited by Coastierox; 12-07-2012 at 06:09 AM.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

  5. #5

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,320

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    Eh.

    I'd much rather they put their efforts into a QUALITY construction of Beastly Kingdom.

  6. #6

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    It is what it is. We are getting it, so I am on board... I won't kick and scream until I see the product, and if the product is amazing, I will love it, if it is poor then you will hear about! lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  7. #7

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,493

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    I had no desire to see the movie (looked like something I would totally hate), so definitely not thrilled. I'd rather see them finally (and properly) do Beastlie Kingdomme.

  8. #8

    • Under that tree again!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,168

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    I quite happy that it's being planned. I care little about the movie but think the story provided a great setting to put a ride in and will work well in AK. I hope they take the time to make great attractions.

    I think people need to realize that Avatar won't be the last project ever. There will still be time for WDW to get Cars, Star Wars, Indiana Jones and even Marvel lands, parks or attractions.

  9. #9

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    There isn't a option for me to vote on. I am just thrilled plain and simple lol I don't care if it's based off a film or not as long as it;s good. The fact its based off a good film with a interesting story is even better and opens it up for more exploration. Who doesn't want to see Pandora and walk around it and take it all in. I know a lot of people don't think it fits in the Animal kingdom's theme but a lot of those people want beastly kingdom to be built which to me is in the same realm as Pandora since they are both mythical. Although since the Na'vi repsect their planet and try to stop humans from ruining it I do believe personally that it fits into DaK. I am happy that it is still on course.

  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,300

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    There isn't a option for me to vote on. I am just thrilled plain and simple lol I don't care if it's based off a film or not as long as it;s good. The fact its based off a good film with a interesting story is even better and opens it up for more exploration. Who doesn't want to see Pandora and walk around it and take it all in. I know a lot of people don't think it fits in the Animal kingdom's theme but a lot of those people want beastly kingdom to be built which to me is in the same realm as Pandora since they are both mythical. Although since the Na'vi repsect their planet and try to stop humans from ruining it I do believe personally that it fits into DaK. I am happy that it is still on course.
    1) well if you don't care what its based off of then why not a well done original concept like they did with Africa and Asia, say Australia or South America? that way it would actually fit in the theme of the park.

    2) The fact of whether or not Avatar was a good FILM or just 'looked' good is very debatable. it was certainly not a ground breakingly interesting story, its the same story thats been told many many many times before, acted out rather poorly on a big budget. this also hardly opens it up more for exploration. if anything from the film the visuals would do that which i would give you valid points for.

    3) would I enjoy walking around Pandora if done correctly by TDO? probably yes. Will they do it correctly with the amount of complexity and detail they would have to include? probably not. would i enjoy walking around Disney's interpretation of Australia or South America just as much if on the same or greater scales to that of Africa and Asia? certainly. Is there a higher likelihood that they would be able to properly recreate essentially real places from across the world in orlando then properly recreating an alien world thats only existed in high tech animation? obviously. i think you get the point.

    4) I certainly would not want beastly kingdom either, its already been done over universal and then covered over by Harry Potter, we don't want to be going backwards. continents should be our focus, that and expanding/plussing conservation station. the mythical elements can and will still be a part of the park, they are just blended into these lands like the legend of the yeti is blended into asia. mythology intricately woven with the real is the way to go, thats what AK and Joe Rhode was going for the whole time, part of the reason he never went with Beastly Kingdom over Dinoland, because he wanted to create an environment where you had a hard time sometimes separating the real from the make believe, thats the key to telling the AK story.

    5) just because the basic storyline fits a theme of conservation it doesn't give you an excuse to add aliens to a park about the earth. AK is about the conservation of earth and its flora and fauna. nowhere in that description did it also say "ooh and the conservation of Pandora and the navi and all the creatures of the universe". as soon as you add that it cheapens the message. in no way does this fit in the park and with its low memorability on a very average film with good visuals, it most certainly does not deserve an entire land dedicated to it. I would be much much happier if it had received an attraction at DHS or maybe a section of the great movie ride (to showcase the next film frontier of 3D/IMAX) then this atrocity.

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    1) well if you don't care what its based off of then why not a well done original concept like they did with Africa and Asia, say Australia or South America? that way it would actually fit in the theme of the park.

    2) The fact of whether or not Avatar was a good FILM or just 'looked' good is very debatable. it was certainly not a ground breakingly interesting story, its the same story thats been told many many many times before, acted out rather poorly on a big budget. this also hardly opens it up more for exploration. if anything from the film the visuals would do that which i would give you valid points for.

    3) would I enjoy walking around Pandora if done correctly by TDO? probably yes. Will they do it correctly with the amount of complexity and detail they would have to include? probably not. would i enjoy walking around Disney's interpretation of Australia or South America just as much if on the same or greater scales to that of Africa and Asia? certainly. Is there a higher likelihood that they would be able to properly recreate essentially real places from across the world in orlando then properly recreating an alien world thats only existed in high tech animation? obviously. i think you get the point.

    4) I certainly would not want beastly kingdom either, its already been done over universal and then covered over by Harry Potter, we don't want to be going backwards. continents should be our focus, that and expanding/plussing conservation station. the mythical elements can and will still be a part of the park, they are just blended into these lands like the legend of the yeti is blended into asia. mythology intricately woven with the real is the way to go, thats what AK and Joe Rhode was going for the whole time, part of the reason he never went with Beastly Kingdom over Dinoland, because he wanted to create an environment where you had a hard time sometimes separating the real from the make believe, thats the key to telling the AK story.

    5) just because the basic storyline fits a theme of conservation it doesn't give you an excuse to add aliens to a park about the earth. AK is about the conservation of earth and its flora and fauna. nowhere in that description did it also say "ooh and the conservation of Pandora and the navi and all the creatures of the universe". as soon as you add that it cheapens the message. in no way does this fit in the park and with its low memorability on a very average film with good visuals, it most certainly does not deserve an entire land dedicated to it. I would be much much happier if it had received an attraction at DHS or maybe a section of the great movie ride (to showcase the next film frontier of 3D/IMAX) then this atrocity.

    Out of all the Disney parks the look of Pandora fits the look of DAK so it works good in this park. What story hasn't been told over and over again. Even Disney classics follow the same formula of a protagonist and a antagonist and use them to teach us a lesson. Who knows maybe the whole area will be based on Earth and when we ride the attractions we actually leave Earth at that point and travel to Pandora. Perhaps the Na'vi were sent here to help us conserve our own planet.

    While you don't like the movie millions of other people did and Disney a media driven business today would be dumb to not try and use it. In the end I am hoping for a well thought out area to represent what the movie is all about while fitting it with DAK's theme. Recent projects around the company (BVS, CL in DCA, new FL in MK, and Grizzly Gulch in HK) Gives us all hope that they are on the right track when it comes to attractions.

  12. #12

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,300

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Out of all the Disney parks the look of Pandora fits the look of DAK so it works good in this park. What story hasn't been told over and over again. Even Disney classics follow the same formula of a protagonist and a antagonist and use them to teach us a lesson. Who knows maybe the whole area will be based on Earth and when we ride the attractions we actually leave Earth at that point and travel to Pandora. Perhaps the Na'vi were sent here to help us conserve our own planet.

    While you don't like the movie millions of other people did and Disney a media driven business today would be dumb to not try and use it. In the end I am hoping for a well thought out area to represent what the movie is all about while fitting it with DAK's theme. Recent projects around the company (BVS, CL in DCA, new FL in MK, and Grizzly Gulch in HK) Gives us all hope that they are on the right track when it comes to attractions.
    it also fits DHS just as well for an individual attraction, again as I stated before its fairly clear the franchise does not deserve an entire themed land. there are plenty of stories that haven't been told yet or at least not with the same frequency that avatar's follows (see pocahauntas, fern gully, ect.). if the whole area is based on earth then it defeats the entire purpose of the avatar land you were talking about, the "cool factor" of walking through pandora. if its not based on pandora then its just an even dumber idea for a land especially because earth was never featured in the film.

    just because millions of people went to see the movies you cant make the assumption that the same amount of people enjoyed the film, the same can be said that just because many people (including myself) enjoyed the visuals, it doesn't mean that they enjoyed the film as a whole or that the film was a truly good film with lasting power. on top of this its been made clear in the past that the box office numbers were quite skewed for a variety of reasons so actually quite a few less people went to see the film then the numbers showed. I'm hoping that something good will be there as well, i just am realistic in the sense that as long as that something is Avatar it will most likely be disappointing and will still negatively affect the thematics of DAK. i hardly think anything they have done thus far would be enough to say their "back on track" the mine train in new fantasyland will be the first new ride to come to orlando since 2007, the fantasyland addition was a nice touch but really contained no major additions, and fast pass + is being implemented so im still nowhere near sold. we will still have to see, but what i know with near certainty is that Avatar is the wrong decision.

  13. #13

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post

    just because millions of people went to see the movies you cant make the assumption that the same amount of people enjoyed the film, the same can be said that just because many people (including myself) enjoyed the visuals, it doesn't mean that they enjoyed the film as a whole or that the film was a truly good film with lasting power. on top of this its been made clear in the past that the box office numbers were quite skewed for a variety of reasons so actually quite a few less people went to see the film then the numbers showed. I'm hoping that something good will be there as well, i just am realistic in the sense that as long as that something is Avatar it will most likely be disappointing and will still negatively affect the thematics of DAK. i hardly think anything they have done thus far would be enough to say their "back on track" the mine train in new fantasyland will be the first new ride to come to orlando since 2007, the fantasyland addition was a nice touch but really contained no major additions, and fast pass + is being implemented so im still nowhere near sold. we will still have to see, but what i know with near certainty is that Avatar is the wrong decision.
    I don't think any assumptions need to be made about the popularity of a film that was watch so much...That's like saying no one wants to see Star Wars and I am foolish for thinking people want to walk around that world as well. Or tell Universal Harry Potter's numbers are skewed as well and those millions of fans never want to set foot in that world. Your hatred towards the idea is more comical than anything. I myself can't wait to see what they come up with. No matter what it is and rather than wishing for failure I am optimistic that it will be a awesome finished product.

  14. #14

    • Autobot Weapon Specialist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    6,208

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    I think it'll be pretty awesome.


  15. #15

    • Nic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    634

    Re: How thrilled are you now about Avatar coming to WDW?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    it also fits DHS just as well for an individual attraction, again as I stated before its fairly clear the franchise does not deserve an entire themed land. there are plenty of stories that haven't been told yet or at least not with the same frequency that avatar's follows (see pocahauntas, fern gully, ect.). if the whole area is based on earth then it defeats the entire purpose of the avatar land you were talking about, the "cool factor" of walking through pandora. if its not based on pandora then its just an even dumber idea for a land especially because earth was never featured in the film.

    just because millions of people went to see the movies you cant make the assumption that the same amount of people enjoyed the film, the same can be said that just because many people (including myself) enjoyed the visuals, it doesn't mean that they enjoyed the film as a whole or that the film was a truly good film with lasting power. on top of this its been made clear in the past that the box office numbers were quite skewed for a variety of reasons so actually quite a few less people went to see the film then the numbers showed. I'm hoping that something good will be there as well, i just am realistic in the sense that as long as that something is Avatar it will most likely be disappointing and will still negatively affect the thematics of DAK. i hardly think anything they have done thus far would be enough to say their "back on track" the mine train in new fantasyland will be the first new ride to come to orlando since 2007, the fantasyland addition was a nice touch but really contained no major additions, and fast pass + is being implemented so im still nowhere near sold. we will still have to see, but what i know with near certainty is that Avatar is the wrong decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    3) would I enjoy walking around Pandora if done correctly by TDO? probably yes. Will they do it correctly with the amount of complexity and detail they would have to include? probably not. would i enjoy walking around Disney's interpretation of Australia or South America just as much if on the same or greater scales to that of Africa and Asia? certainly. Is there a higher likelihood that they would be able to properly recreate essentially real places from across the world in orlando then properly recreating an alien world thats only existed in high tech animation? obviously. i think you get the point.
    Why are you making assumptions? You have no idea the route they'll go with this, and how detail oriented they'll be.

    I for one am super thrilled for Avatarland. Even though the movie wasn't that great, the visuals and the world of Pandora are outstanding, and I'm super excited that it's coming to Animal Kingdom.
    Fear of the unknown.

    They are afraid of new ideas.

    They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.







Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What are you thinking about right now?
    By DisneyDude2006 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 194
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 04:36 PM
  2. How crazy are you about this October on VMK?
    By Snappi in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-22-2006, 03:31 PM
  3. How curious are you about Curious George?
    By ALIASd in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 10:51 AM
  4. How annoyed are you... VOTE NOW
    By HiddenMickey in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 08:47 AM
  5. How loud are you?
    By DarylF in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 02:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •