Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Disney still working on Avatar Land

Quote Originally Posted by BandM View Post
    I know, I'd love something like that but if we use TDO logic we might as well milk the franchises they don't have to pay royalties for.
    last time i checked they didn't have to pay royalties to africa and asia to reconstruct theoretical places in their respective continents lol

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    last time i checked they didn't have to pay royalties to africa and asia to reconstruct theoretical places in their respective continents lol
    Well true but I doubt ancient culture and rituals can attract as much patrons as Ewoks.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BandM View Post
    Well true but I doubt ancient culture and rituals can attract as much patrons as Ewoks.
    meh depends how well its done, but then again theres the Ewoks adorable-yet-deadly factor so its a toss up lol.

• Bearing with the bears

meh depends how well its done, but then again theres the Ewoks adorable-yet-deadly factor so its a toss up lol.
    Nothing like the feeling of a cuddly death by giant plushies.

Avatar is no potter Eric, come on your better then to jump to that conclusion. Avatar has nowhere near that draw and although it may be popular in those countries will they really be new guests or just return visitors given something else to see, i just cant see a way that this property MAKES people come to the parks like potter did. it would astound me if you were right about this.
    Talk about "jumping to conclusions", can you tell me one thing they are going to put into "Avatarland", and why it will not be well received? Nobody can, it is all speculation at this point. Until they start digging, and even then things can change, nobody has a leg to stand on.

The franchise so far has been very well received at the theaters, and they will get a better read on it when the next 2 movies come out. As the main point of the movies was conservation and saving the planet for later generations to live on I don't see why it wouldn't work at Animal Kingdom, after all that is pretty much what that park is all about..... or did most of you miss that by looking for "thrilling rides"?

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    Talk about "jumping to conclusions", can you tell me one thing they are going to put into "Avatarland", and why it will not be well received? Nobody can, it is all speculation at this point. Until they start digging, and even then things can change, nobody has a leg to stand on.

The franchise so far has been very well received at the theaters, and they will get a better read on it when the next 2 movies come out. As the main point of the movies was conservation and saving the planet for later generations to live on I don't see why it wouldn't work at Animal Kingdom, after all that is pretty much what that park is all about..... or did most of you miss that by looking for "thrilling rides"?
    Can Disney build a well themed Avatar land with exciting attractions? Yes. Will anyone still care about Avatar by the time this new land opens? Maybe if the sequels do well. Will people still be excited about Avatar 30 years from now? Impossible to predict. Disney doesn't turn around as fast as it used to though. When Disneyland was new they basically got 3 Tomorrowlands in 12 years. The company doesn't do that anymore. The last new Tomorrowland is almost 15 years old. The disaster called Disney's California Adventure took a decade to get turned into what is almost a real park, and that's where Disney focuses most of its attention. Here in Florida we finally replaced 20,000 Leagues under the sea a mere 18 years after it closed. If they build Avatarland it has to last because given what they are spending, it is going to be there a long long time. It's quite a bit of a gamble to base on box office alone.

Merchandise for the films didn't do well at all. It's hard to sell stuff when your protagonists are so anti-materialistic. It's not like Harry Potter where every character has their own personalized wand and more one off gadgets than Batman. Look at those movie prop replica sites. They have pages upon pages of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings gear and next to nothing from Avatar because the hemp and sculpey necklace worn by the blue alien whose name nobody remembers stood out even less than the forgettable character that wore it. But Mad Eye Moody's mad eye? Heck yeah! They could try to fix that in the sequels but it runs counter to the nature of the films protagonists.

To the point of the films having similar themes, Disney's Animal Kingdom has an underlying theme of conserving the Earth's natural ecosystems. Earth does not appear in the movie Avatar.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post

I think my big problem is not that AVATAR land might not be well received or get people to the parks (who knows? it might), but rather that this HUGE planned budget could go to so many other things that fans could really get behind. Star Wars, Australia in AK, A new EPCOT pavilion or maybe future world 2.0 (ala DCA), so many possibilities.......why This?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Avatar is no potter Eric, come on your better then to jump to that conclusion. Avatar has nowhere near that draw and although it may be popular in those countries will they really be new guests or just return visitors given something else to see, i just cant see a way that this property MAKES people come to the parks like potter did. it would astound me if you were right about this.
    I am not jumping to conclusions:

The Box Office receipts prove this
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $760,507,625 27.3%
    + Foreign: $2,021,767,547 72.7%

= Worldwide: $2,782,275,172

Then there is the fandom in other countries, where people developed Post Avatar Depression Syndrome, and where people still dress up as Navi.

American culture might have moved on, but other countries throughout the world still hold a big candle for the big blue people.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I am not jumping to conclusions:

The Box Office receipts prove this
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $760,507,625 27.3%
    + Foreign: $2,021,767,547 72.7%

= Worldwide: $2,782,275,172
    allow me to pull up ohh say almost any other movie's statistics lol. we will see near identical percentages. thats because there are many other people in the world that aren't from America, something crazy like 7.6 billion of em and they enjoy watching movies as well! as for the actual $ values themselves we have gone over how inflated they are in the past through values like ticket price inflation, standard economic inflation, the cost of 3D and IMAX that came out in disproportionate numbers ect. that proves it was not as successful on the grand scheme of things as suggested. this also doesn't prove at all whether international countries still have an Avatar following, it just means, like many domestic people, they watched the film when it was released. it doesn't mean they are still a part of the fan club now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Can Disney build a well themed Avatar land with exciting attractions? Yes. Will anyone still care about Avatar by the time this new land opens? Maybe if the sequels do well. Will people still be excited about Avatar 30 years from now? Impossible to predict. Disney doesn't turn around as fast as it used to though. When Disneyland was new they basically got 3 Tomorrowlands in 12 years. The company doesn't do that anymore. The last new Tomorrowland is almost 15 years old. The disaster called Disney's California Adventure took a decade to get turned into what is almost a real park, and that's where Disney focuses most of its attention. Here in Florida we finally replaced 20,000 Leagues under the sea a mere 18 years after it closed. If they build Avatarland it has to last because given what they are spending, it is going to be there a long long time. It's quite a bit of a gamble to base on box office alone.

Merchandise for the films didn't do well at all. It's hard to sell stuff when your protagonists are so anti-materialistic. It's not like Harry Potter where every character has their own personalized wand and more one off gadgets than Batman. Look at those movie prop replica sites. They have pages upon pages of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings gear and next to nothing from Avatar because the hemp and sculpey necklace worn by the blue alien whose name nobody remembers stood out even less than the forgettable character that wore it. But Mad Eye Moody's mad eye? Heck yeah! They could try to fix that in the sequels but it runs counter to the nature of the films protagonists.

To the point of the films having similar themes, Disney's Animal Kingdom has an underlying theme of conserving the Earth's natural ecosystems. Earth does not appear in the movie Avatar.
    Darn I must have missed that! duh!, the point is that both are about conservation, it doesn't matter the name of the planet.

Lets face it, AK is nothing more than a zoo. Disney had the same "nay-sayer's" when proposing that park I'm sure and look what they did with a "zoo".

While nobody knows the lasting power of the Avatar franchise all Disney is building is an terrarium with a few rides added in. For the next 15 years its "Avatar Land" after that maybe they will change a few things around and it will be "Old Earth Land" where you can go and see all the plants we USE TO have on earth who knows.

It's called Avatar land because thats whos kicking in the money. Those people want it as advertizing to help sell their movies. That why they aren't going to fund a new country at EPCOT, Add Australia, or push StarWars.

The biggest problem I think most people have with Avatar Land is they don't know "how" Disney is going to pull it off, they can't imagine anything good coming out of it for a park. Lucky for us they are NOT Disney Imagineers

• Mostly Harmless.

Avatar was a visually sunning, crap movie. It was nothing more than a polished turd, and the plot was lifted directly from the Fern Gully cartoon (another crap movie). Can anyone name one character from avatar without google? Can anyone say they won't be creeped out by blue people on stilts that perform sensual acts with their ponytails? It has no staying power and it gives me the heebie jeebies.

•   
    • Minion

allow me to pull up ohh say almost any other movie's statistics lol. we will see near identical percentages. thats because there are many other people in the world that aren't from America, something crazy like 7.6 billion of em and they enjoy watching movies as well! as for the actual $ values themselves we have gone over how inflated they are in the past through values like ticket price inflation, standard economic inflation, the cost of 3D and IMAX that came out in disproportionate numbers ect. that proves it was not as successful on the grand scheme of things as suggested. this also doesn't prove at all whether international countries still have an Avatar following, it just means, like many domestic people, they watched the film when it was released. it doesn't mean they are still a part of the fan club now.
    You can also look at ticket count which has Avatar in the top 20 somewhere ever. There is no crutch for nay-sayers to lean on there. That to me is the only number that matters. You can Google it it's out there. It held the highest ticket count for months world wide. Again you can Google that too. The money we all now isn;t a measuring tool since tickets to Gone with the Wind etc were like what .25cents. You treat all us pro avatar people like we don't have the same resources as you.

To Kingeric's point I know in Asia it's a big hit as well have taught some of my offshore co-workers how to make their profile pictures look like Avatar people lol. Any of you on FB have seen my profile which has been up there for years. Maybe you don't watch it but some of us do and think it's more than just visually stunning. Also since WDW pulls more international visitors I would think this is a good move for them to lure tourists to their resort.

Here is my FB profile pic lol I know i'm a nerd btw

Based on BO, we might've been better off going with Titanic Land. Would be the perfect opportunity to get some subs back in Florida.
    ~ Erik

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    Based on BO, we might've been better off going with Titanic Land. Would be the perfect opportunity to get some subs back in Florida.
    The Titanic experience here in Orlando (which already exists) is actually pretty popular and profitable side attraction, and that is without the direct movie tie in.

All these years later it still draws people in.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Then there is the fandom in other countries, where people developed Post Avatar Depression Syndrome, and where people still dress up as Navi.
    You're joking, right? Please tell me that's some sick joke the Onion made up. I liked Avatar (didn't love it but I didn't think it was a horrible movie) but people really got attached that much to the Navi? Wow, if that's true I might as well claim I got Post Bambi Depression after hearing the gunshot in Bambi.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast