Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Disney still working on Avatar Land

I was surprised to read Disney is still working on Avatar Land, especially after the purchase of Lucas Films.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

Disney Avatar Land Cars Land: Disney Parks exec says Avatar Land remains on track, Cars Land could be copied elsewhere - Orlando Sentinel

I find it hard to believe Disney can't think of any of their own movies that might make a good foundation for new attractions in an animal-themed park. I know Potter is making Disney rethink things, but a whole land based on a mediocre 3D movie? That doesn't motivate me to fly out there again.

• I'm a Lutheran

Re: Disney still working on Avatar Land

Although I'm not a fan of Avatar, not many people are too crazy about Cars either. I enjoy it, but there're others who don't, yet they still enjoy and appreciate Cars Land for its detail and label of love. If Avatar Land is anything like the New Fantasyland or Cars Land, we're in for a real treat.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

well they have already acquired the IP so the train is moving... I guess the egos worked themselves out, and this is going to happen.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

well that stinks. I was hoping the Star Wars thing would slow that down some.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Future Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    well that stinks. I was hoping the Star Wars thing would slow that down some.
    The project got pushed back 2 years. You don't call that slowing it down?

•   
    • Minion

I can already tell where this thread will end up

Calling Avatar medicore is a valid opinion but based of global reception I believe it will thrive as a attraction. Who doesn't want to see Pandora and walk around it and take it all in. I know a lot of people don't think it fits in the Animal kingdom's theme but a lot of those people want beastly kingdom to be built which to me is in the same realm as Pandora since they are both mythical. Although since the Na'vi repsect their planet and try to stop humans from ruining it I do believe personally that it fits into DaK. I am happy that it is still on course.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    The project got pushed back 2 years. You don't call that slowing it down?
    ok, I should have said "shuttered completely" instead.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

All I gots to say is HA! Disney and James are pushing through no matter how small a portion of "fans" feel about the idea.

Can't wait to walk through the world of Avatar in the Animal Kingdom!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Not here to help

Avatar may be mediocre but it is bigger than anything Disney has done the latest 50 years.

IŽd rather see that than another Cars Land.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Insomniac

^^ I agree. I'd rather see something unique to WDW (no matter how out of theme and relevance it might be). However, I'd rather see EPCOT get fixed than DAK.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

I think about Avatar the same way i feel about Cars Land. One nice "E" ticket attraction, when made in a way that leaves people talking, would be enough. Not an entire land. Just think of the possibilities of what can be drawn from the movie ! Was the movie great? Nah, but it wasnt as bad as some are saying. My opinion, if the imagineers are given a free hand, it doesnt matter if the movie is the worst ever mad, they could do the " Disney Magic "to it, and make an attraction that people could enjoy.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Good, i love the idea of this land, however im no fan of the movie

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Way too preachy. I don't want to pay a ton of cash to go to a theme park and be told how horrible "us" humans are. Yuck.

• Minion

its unfortunate but it looks like its happening so now all the parks can be tainted by something that should never be there i guess lol. the best part of this is the few people that have been defending this project on here have, for the most part, been stating that although it may not fit the theme the fact that were going to get a new e-ticket and get to "walk through pandora" is more then enough reason to put it in. unfortunately for you guys all signs are pointing towards a soarin type attraction as their "e-ticket" so yet another reason why this unfortunate excuse for an idea should be just plain scrapped. add that to the fact that they keep pushing back the opening date, that the franchise has no relevance or concurrent fan base from a year after its release on, there are basically no merchandising opportunities that would make any sense whatsoever, and it will ruin the beautifully well executed thematics Joe Rhode tirelessly put together in AK, and there are more then enough reasons to just keep pushing this project off into oblivion. Poor Joe, arguably his greatest achievement created just to be ignored by TDO and ultimately forever damaged by poor long term thinking and lack of common sense by executives.

• Bearing with the bears

Honestly with Disney owning so many brands at this point I'm thinking this thing is going to keep getting pushed back until it's shelved.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast