Re: Moldy Malestrom

The second and the third picture is taken in Malestroms wait area:

Timmy´s "Where In Walt Disney World Is This?"
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by BandM View Post
    Point taken. Still a ride like this should never veer between B and C mode in such a short span of time.
    It is kind of funny, because there are times when a show effect has been broken for so long and it becomes the "new normal" that when on an off chance it gets fixed, it is so surprising, because I had completely forgotten that effect.

I wish Disney had the point system like Universal Orlando. Where every effect on the ride is given a point value. And if the ride hits 10 points the ride must close and be fixed.

What the does is it puts pressure on engineering and maintenance to keep things in tip top shape.

For instance on ET the final ET that says your name is 10 points, so if he goes down, the ride closes.

On the mummy for instance each Army of the Dead guys that pop up are each 2 points. So if 5 don't pop up then the ride goes down, but you can have up to 4 not work for the ride to continue to operate.

With the end goal being that every ride be as close to 0 points every day as possible.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    The second and the third picture is taken in Malestroms wait area:

Timmy´s "Where In Walt Disney World Is This?"
    Thanks TimmyTimmyTimmy... sadly it has only gotten worse.

• Metro-Retro Historian

I think I read somewhere that Florida's Splash Mountain uses mostly cheaply made 3rd party animatronic figures that are more prone to breakdowns than the repurposed America Sings ones used in California. I wish I could remember where so I could link it. If that's true it looks like short sighted cost cutting has come back to bite them again.

The point system is a great idea and I'm surprised Disney isn't using something like that. Though I don't know how wall mold and ceiling tile issues would fit into that system. They also need better regular maintenance so these effects break down less often in the first place.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I really need to head back to Epcot to get pictures, but I honestly hate making a special trip to show how dirty and horrible something is... even if I do live 20 mins away lol

• Metro-Retro Historian

Um... to ride new Test Track again? Or maybe go when Gary Sinise is doing the Candlelight Processional and try to trick him into going on Mission: SPACE with you.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Um... to ride new Test Track again? Or maybe go when Gary Sinise is doing the Candlelight Processional and try to trick him into going on Mission: SPACE with you.
    That would be awesome... but there is no way I am going to wait 2 hours for Test Track. I wish I could get an AP at Disney like I have for Universal where I have free Express pass after 4pm

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    It is kind of funny, because there are times when a show effect has been broken for so long and it becomes the "new normal" that when on an off chance it gets fixed, it is so surprising, because I had completely forgotten that effect.

I wish Disney had the point system like Universal Orlando. Where every effect on the ride is given a point value. And if the ride hits 10 points the ride must close and be fixed.

What the does is it puts pressure on engineering and maintenance to keep things in tip top shape.

For instance on ET the final ET that says your name is 10 points, so if he goes down, the ride closes.

On the mummy for instance each Army of the Dead guys that pop up are each 2 points. So if 5 don't pop up then the ride goes down, but you can have up to 4 not work for the ride to continue to operate.

With the end goal being that every ride be as close to 0 points every day as possible.
    They sort of do:
    http://www.20kride.com/content/behin...pTurnstile.jpg
    http://www.20kride.com/content/behin...d_ud01_008.jpg
    http://www.20kride.com/content/behin...date01_026.jpg
    Sort of...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I think I read somewhere that Florida's Splash Mountain uses mostly cheaply made 3rd party animatronic figures that are more prone to breakdowns than the repurposed America Sings ones used in California. I wish I could remember where so I could link it. If that's true it looks like short sighted cost cutting has come back to bite them again.
    I don't know if I'd point out to budgeting reasons, I mean it was built during Disney's Eisner-gold-plated-it's-so-fantastic-it-prints-money era but it's possible. I always thought the ones in FL looked more impressive then the ones in Cal (although that might have been just me) and the one in DL isn't exactly safe from damage either. If you could dig up the link it would be an interesting read.
    ceiling tile issues would fit into that system. They also need better regular maintenance so these effects break down less often in the first place.
    Does anyone know why they made the ceiling so tall? I get the mural and all but MY GAWD is that ceiling tall.
    I really need to head back to Epcot to get pictures, but I honestly hate making a special trip to show how dirty and horrible something is... even if I do live 20 mins away lol
    Can't really blame you for that, Christmas is nearing and people will make the park unbearable. You could use the crowds however to be a bit of a rat and poke around in areas that were taken off the map (Odyssey, WoL, the two tunnels under Communicore).

I'm unfortunately not shocked to hear it. We went for over two weeks two years ago and were totally shocked at how bad some of the attractions, hotels, and other areas were getting. It was our fourth trip over six years so we had previous experience to base it on. I could type a book of examples but Mickey's philharmonic stands out in my memory as one of the worst, it literally stank, like a pair of old shoes. The screen was messed up, the audio sounded like half the speakers were missing, the floors were sticky and dirty, the 4D functionality (wind and water spray) did not work for 2 of our party.. and it's one of our favorite attractions, we wanted to love it, not nitpick. We stayed at all stars (every trip so far) and the paint on the buildings and statues was so faded they looked 50 years old. Cobwebs etc. were a common sight in and around the parks. Serious need for rehab and general maintenance.. if you can spend a million dollars on these new attractions and retheming at least pitch in a little for a cleaning crew and some fresh paint. That new attraction is only 1 hour of our trip.. the rest is spent in the rest of the park that has apparently been forgotten.

"... most people I know never experienced Everest when it could work in "A"mode...."

I did. One of the few lucky ones. It was fantastic, you really thought that yeti was going to snatch you out of your seat.. you could feel the wind as it swiped at your face...and I still hold a grudge for them leaving it broken for so long. The coaster was just backdrop.. the yeti was the show. It's like running Pirates with the sound turned off, or Mission to Mars with the centrifuge broken. Nothing should be added until the original rides are in working order.

So I was at Epcot last night, and decided to take a ride on Malestrom in Norway. The ride was disgusting.

1. Ceiling tiles missing, and gaping in most show rooms
    2. The queue carpet was filthy
    3. The Queue Mural was black from people touching it
    4. The life hill tunnel was missing a few speakers
    5. There was mold on a lot of walls
    6. The 3 headed trolls movement was largely not working... just basic up and down, with some shuttering in the middle
    7. Speakers were missing throughout the ride with either exposed wires or gaping holes
    8. everything looked dirty and filthy (and not in a 'this is part of the show' kind of way)
    9. Exit theater's carpet was disgusting
    10. Exit theaters screen seemed dirty

I was embarrassed on the ride, and was really shocked by how much in disrepair this ride actually is in.

Has anyone else noticed how much this ride is in disrepair?
    Nobody ever goes into the ride for cleaning. OPs sweep out the boats at closing.

There is only one custodial that vacuums the carpet and empties the trash. It is a cost saving move, just a minimum amount of cleaning.

In the kitchen there is 3-4 Haitians that hose down the floor and equipment and I think they are just part of temp agency.

Blog Entries

That's a shame. I know its not a high priority ride, but its always been one of my favorites due to some interesting memories on it as a kid (We rode it 10 times in a row due to rain outside. We would hop off, run around and hop right back on as no one was in the line and we didn't want to get wet. For some reason its one of my favorite memories of that trip).

Disney should never let a ride get to the level of disrepair that some of them do. I know that guests are unhappy when rides are closed, and I also know that there are only 2 rides in World Showcase, so when one is closed its a big deal (One of the reasons there needs to be two more smaller rides in that part of the park). But either way it should never get there.

I don't know that Universal is much better though although they're doing much better recently than they had for years. Jurassic Park is almost always broken in many areas and how long did they run Poseidon's Fury with all of the water effects completely turned off before Potter opened?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post

I don't know that Universal is much better though although they're doing much better recently than they had for years. Jurassic Park is almost always broken in many areas and how long did they run Poseidon's Fury with all of the water effects completely turned off before Potter opened?
    There is fair criticism there. But I think in the long term story of the Universal Orlando Resort, there will be Pre-Comcast and Comcast eras.

Comcast, has been doing incredible things at the resort. They have shown that they are willing to spend the money, and invest in the park.

The point system has always been true, (though there have been times it has been ignored on JP) Universal is holding itself to a higher standard now. And it is GREAT.

I just expect more from a resort (WDW), where I feel like my dollar gets me less and less every time I go.

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by waymire01 View Post
    I'm unfortunately not shocked to hear it. We went for over two weeks two years ago and were totally shocked at how bad some of the attractions, hotels, and other areas were getting. It was our fourth trip over six years so we had previous experience to base it on. I could type a book of examples but Mickey's philharmonic stands out in my memory as one of the worst, it literally stank, like a pair of old shoes. The screen was messed up, the audio sounded like half the speakers were missing, the floors were sticky and dirty, the 4D functionality (wind and water spray) did not work for 2 of our party.. and it's one of our favorite attractions, we wanted to love it, not nitpick. We stayed at all stars (every trip so far) and the paint on the buildings and statues was so faded they looked 50 years old. Cobwebs etc. were a common sight in and around the parks. Serious need for rehab and general maintenance.. if you can spend a million dollars on these new attractions and retheming at least pitch in a little for a cleaning crew and some fresh paint. That new attraction is only 1 hour of our trip.. the rest is spent in the rest of the park that has apparently been forgotten.
    Wow that sounds awful. On my last trip the ride was in a pretty bad shape but most of the effects were working, it's just all the things covering up the effects were missing Sorta of killed the "magic" when you get to see a gaping hole in the back wall at the start of the show. Maybe it is a good thing the Mickey Mouse Revue is better off in Tokyo.
    There is fair criticism there. But I think in the long term story of the Universal Orlando Resort, there will be Pre-Comcast and Comcast eras.

Comcast, has been doing incredible things at the resort. They have shown that they are willing to spend the money, and invest in the park.

The point system has always been true, (though there have been times it has been ignored on JP) Universal is holding itself to a higher standard now. And it is GREAT.

I just expect more from a resort (WDW), where I feel like my dollar gets me less and less every time I go.
    Remember the GE "synergy" that Universal had a decade ago? How the times have changed.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by BandM View Post

Remember the GE "synergy" that Universal had a decade ago? How the times have changed.
    There was a time when face characters were becoming endangered species at Universal Orlando. Now you run into characters galore down Hollywood Blvd.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast