Question Disney College Program Benefits?

HELLO MICE CHAT!

I am new here, but this forum seems like a good place to ask questions!

My awesome friend and I are going to be applying for the Disney College Program in a month or so, for Fall 2013! I am so excited! And I know that I want to do it! Unfortunately the main reason why I want to do it is because I am insanely in love with Disney... I mean I literally spend all day looking at youtube videos of rides, just remembering what it was like to be there... it is a crazy thing! And it is something that my dad can't understand So, convincing him that it is a good idea to take 4 months out of my life, put my schooling on hold, and move away for the first time ever is going to be SUPER HARD!
    I've composed a list of Pro's and Con's which I will present to him if I do in fact get accepted... but, in order for it to be successful I will need the Pro's list to be at least twice the size of the Con's.

Is there anyone who could help me think of the many Disney College Program benefits? All the different ways it will help me? Be fun? Life changing? I already have all the generic things that are on the DCP website (it will be a great way to meet people from around the world, its good to put on my resume); sadly, my career is not going to have anything to do with Disney, business, or production. My obsession with the history and the creation of Disney (Disneyland) is all recreational. I am going to be a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner and besides the fact that kids like Disney, I don't really see a connection.

Thank you so much for the help!

Re: Disney College Program Benefits?

You get to learn what it's like to work in a busy, fast-paced environment. The training that you get when working there is very good-looking to potential employers because you were trained on great customer service by the leader in top quality customer service.

You can also take business classes during your time there. Even though you aren't going into the business field, It wouldn't hurt to learn.

I went and got no credit. My school didn't accept it. I must tell you that I wouldn't have changed that experience one bit. Sometimes it's worth veering off the path to learn about how other organizations operate.

As for the moving away part, It is quite freaky. It's through these challenges that will help you learn. Remember, if you get hired, you will be working pretty hard and at times it will be hellish. Keep in mind that in the end, that whole experience will be the best experience of your life.

Good Luck!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I work with a gentleman that did the CP back in 1988. He just said last week that there are several people that he worked with back then that he's still in touch with today. So making lifelong friends has great value!

• Characters are my friends

For me, the CP was life-changing. It is good life/work experience, and looks good on a resume.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09