• i believe in faeries.

choices, choices!

So, my lovely parents have decided to take me, the hubs, and the kids on a Disney Cruise in May, and we're planning to head out a bit early and visit WDW. Neither me or the hubs have been there (we've both been to DLR) and I'm wondering which parks are a must, which to skip, etc... i would like all opinions! i'm sure they're all fabulous, but we only have 3 days dedicated to theme parks... and i do want to check out Universal for the Harry Potter 'land'... however, i am willing to forgo the rest of Uni to go back to a Disney park. So i have 2 full days, and possibly another half day for WDW. Where should i go?
    my children will be 4 and 7, the oldest has been to DLR before, but my son hasn't. TIA!

• Mkcoastie

Re: choices, choices!

Well, obviously Magic Kingdom is a must, primarily for your youngest who has never been to DL. For those of you who have been to DL you will want to check out Haunted Mansion (one of the few copies that are better on the east coast) Hall of President's (if history is your thing) and Country Bear's. Since you are short on time, go ahead and skip out on Stitches Great Escape (actually, you can always skip this one) and Monster Inc Laugh Floor. Epcot should be your other stop. When in may will you be going?

• i believe in faeries.

we haven't booked the cruise yet, we just looked into when my husband is able to take time off, and may looks like our best bet. thank goodness it isn't the summer, i would not know how to deal with crazy crowds in a park(s) i don't know! :P

• Mkcoastie

have you decided where you are staying yet? Just be aware that this year Star Wars weekends will be in the last part of may (I believe) and it will be NUTS throughout the resort.

• i believe in faeries.

ok, awesome, good to know.
    so you vote to see epcot and magic kingdom as the 2 park choices?

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by Avaren View Post
    ok, awesome, good to know.
    so you vote to see epcot and magic kingdom as the 2 park choices?
    Yes, I think that will give you the most bangs for your buck. If you’re willing to foot the bill for park hoppers, it's also quite easy to do selected EPCOT and Hollywood Studios attractions in a day. There is a boat that runs between the two from the back of World Showcase (near England). The two important factors are where you are staying, and when you are going. Also, with only two days don't rush yourselves. You will not be able to see everything! Your best bet is to pick some must do's and just pace yourself. Enjoy the time in the parks. WDW is best enjoyed when you take in more than just the attractions. Have a nice meal somewhere, explore world showcase (you can get your kids doing this by using the "Kidcot" spots. They color their own fan and then collect passport stamps on it throughout world showcase). If you try and see everything, you will end up having a rushed and hectic time.

• HYDRA

you need to do MK and Epcot
    they are the must do
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Hello there

Blog Entries

My choice would be MK and EPCOt as well, EPCOT is one of my favorite parks and unique to WDW. With your children's ages, MK is a great day at the park. Also, keep in mind of Star Wars Weekend. It does get very busy during this time, but if you are a Star Wars fan, DHS is a lot of fun during that weekend.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'd do Epcot and DHS or AK since you've been to Disneyland (which is very similar to our Magic Kingdom park). Do the parks you don't have out west.

My two tips for visiting Disney World as a first timer:

1) Remember that it is much larger than Disneyland. While DLR only has two parks, three hotels, and DTD, WDW has four parks, two water parks, golf courses, DTD, dozens of hotels, a lake, etc. To see it all would take a long time. Not to mention the surrounding Orlando area!
    Speaking of Orlando, please be warned that it is a very tourist-centric town. Although it is very nice in some areas, there are seemingly thousands of strip malls and cheap tourist traps (I'm looking at you, Town of Kissimmee). This can break the magic for some people.I would highly recommend staying on-site during your visit to WDW.
    2) Character greeting at WDW seems very different than at DL. While DL has a lot of rare characters that stroll the park (the Alice in Wonderland troupe and their daily round of musical chairs, Peter Pan, etc.) WDW only features what I call "the favorites." These are the most popular Disney characters and have their own set meet-and-greet schedules and places. For example you can see Mickey and the princesses multiple times during your trip, but rarely come across the Mad Hatter.

Just my two cents. Have a good time!

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyM View Post
    My two tips for visiting Disney World as a first timer:

1) Remember that it is much larger than Disneyland. While DLR only has two parks, three hotels, and DTD, WDW has four parks, two water parks, golf courses, DTD, dozens of hotels, a lake, etc. To see it all would take a long time. Not to mention the surrounding Orlando area!
    Speaking of Orlando, please be warned that it is a very tourist-centric town. Although it is very nice in some areas, there are seemingly thousands of strip malls and cheap tourist traps (I'm looking at you, Town of Kissimmee). This can break the magic for some people.I would highly recommend staying on-site during your visit to WDW.
    I totally agree. This can absolutely make the difference for a WDW vacation. This seems to be the hardest thing to understand for DL natives who are accustomed to a resort where staying on property dosen't really change your experiance that much.

Enjoy your trip!

You can ride the same number of attractions in DL/DCA over a weekend, but it will take you far longer at WDW due to its size.

My suggestion would be go see the MK and AK. The Lion King show is amazing and worth a visit just for it. And MK has the new restaurant from Beauty and Beast, which is supposed to have a good lunch menu. For your evening, you can make a visit over to EPCOT after AK has closed, grab some dinner, and check out the new Test Track.

If your kids were older, I'd suggest just going to Universal and skipping Disney altogether. You really have to check out the Harry Potter stuff; it's amazing.

Unlike another poster in this thread, I suggest avoiding the on property hotels. The resort hotels are mediocre at best regardless of how much you pay. You'd find much better service at either a Hyatt or Embassy Suites. And you're gonna want a rental car--I suggest Enterprise.