• Nutty about Disney parks

Why the name change to the Little Mermaid ride?

Aside from queue they're pretty much the same thing. I don't get why the name of the ride was changed from The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure (DL) to Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid (MK) especially since the latter creates confusion with the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show at DHS. Either way most people call it The Little Mermaid as it is. I don't think any other ride that was cloned had this same issue did it? I wouldn't count the Finding Nemo rides because they are two completely different experiences that uses similar characters and moments.

Anyway sorry if this was brought up already. I'm rather surprised by the complexe and confused names, considering how oversimplified their movie titles are nowadays.

• Minion

Re: Why the name change to the Little Mermaid ride?

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Aside from queue they're pretty much the same thing. I don't get why the name of the ride was changed from The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure (DL) to Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid (MK) especially since the latter creates confusion with the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show at DHS. Either way most people call it The Little Mermaid as it is. I don't think any other ride that was cloned had this same issue did it? I wouldn't count the Finding Nemo rides because they are two completely different experiences that uses similar characters and moments.

Anyway sorry if this was brought up already. I'm rather surprised by the complexe and confused names, considering how oversimplified their movie titles are nowadays.
    I think it just makes the appearance of a different ride when in actuality they are relatively similar, it leads guests who have not visited the other coast and do not yet know whats available over here to assume there is something different. that and it works for the whole synergy thing with voyage and journey being the differentiating terms.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Well buzz has a different name in each park
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Almost every, Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland all share the same name.

The "Tea Cups" are the Mad Tea Party in the US, Alice's Tea Party at Tokyo Disneyland, Mad Hatter's Tea Cups at Disneyland Paris and Mad Hatter Tea Cups at Hong Kong Disneyland.

Disneyland's PeopleMover never had the WEDway naming attached as at the Magic Kingdom.

In the US its Big Thunder Mountain Railroad but abroad its just Big Thunder Mountain.

The Enchated Tiki Room was the Tropical Seranade at the Magic Kingdom.

I'm sure there are more examples attractions changing name with little to no change in content.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

I never got that either. i personally think the DCA version has a simpler name and anyone i know will call it The Little Mermaid

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

They did it just to cause controversy ! The Imagineers had a pool going to see when this comes up on M.C. .......BOB WON.....LOL

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    they did it just to cause controversy ! The imagineers had a pool going to see when this comes up on m.c. .......bob won.....lol
    ha ha ha
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

ORGOCH: They should a just called it "Fish Tales" in all the dang parks that got it. Prince Generic agrees with me!!

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Those aren't clones though there are legitimate differences in the ride. Granted it's still a buzz lightyear dark ride with spinning vehicles and laser guns, they could've easily copied the name. But also in its defense, the name change actually describes the ride better -- "Space Ranger Spin" focuses on a little word play about the spinning vehicles, "Astro Blasters" focuses on the fact it's a laser shooting attraction -- while Mermaid's name change really makes diddly squat of a difference.. so it's a decision of marketing. But finally, and most probably having to do with it, Disneyland has Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin already taking up the "spin" attraction nameplay.

The main defense I have had for WDW's name change is if they wanted to pay homage to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by keeping 'Under the Sea' as the main focus of the name. But they obviously have to reference the little mermaid so they have the tag afterwards.

• out & about

Is there a correlation between slightly different names for very similar attractions at different US parks and the One Disney initiative? Does it contradict? Is it confusing?

It seems, that on the one hand, they want the parks to be homogenized while on the other they want to trick us into expecting a different experience by slightly altering the name of an attraction. Hmmm....