Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Universe of Energy in it's current state.

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    sadly ive never been on UOE
    but it is next for a mega refresh(it really needs it)
    How would you know if you've never seen it?

UOE is one of the originals, and is still there, pretty much in it's original form other than the pre-show and a few tweaks here and there. It is also as relevant today as it was when it was first opened.

I think it shows what Disney Imagineering was all about back then. A well designed and engineered ride that has stood the test of time.

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    Does anyone have a great HD pov???
    Universe of Energy - Ultimate Tribute on Vimeo <--- cleanest footage you'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    The ride system is as impressive to me today as it was in 1982. That said, I'd love to see the scenes and animatronics totally refreshed and the films updated and shortened a little.

What worries me are all the lines Bill Nye has related to "and we've found enough of xx to last another 50 years!". Well, that's now what, 35 years? If that's true, it's very depressing.
    Well the information was vague to begin with so it's not that big of an issue but yes it's dated.

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    The Ellen AA was actually 2 million dollars, or 2.5 million dollars. I can't remember off the top of my head, it was around that. Also, at the time "Ellen" was the most advanced AA at Walt Disney World besides the Wicked Witch in The Great Movie Ride. However, unfortunately at the moment she doesn't seem all that great from the last time I've seen her and has others have pointed out.

I'm not all in favor in getting rid of it all together. It's still relevant and now more than ever. Also, it's one of the very few things in EPCOT that still educates us and also focuses on the concept of technology. Which was what EPCOT was all about when the park opened. Also, it's one of the few original rides, although it had a complete re-vamp in the 1990's.
    Thanks for the information, Elen's AA never really "wow"ed me, I guess it's the face or the movement, it never seemed "right" to me. The theme does fit in nicely with Futureworld however it feels like something out of the 90s and that not very futuristic.

They need to redo everything almost: cast new hosts, or simply bring Bill Nye and Ellen back, drop the whole Jeopardy concept (new pre and post show), update the AA, and not only talk about the previous matters they've brought up before, but perhaps think of more modern ways to reduce energy, or other energy sources, or talk more about what can become of the future?

However, all of this will never happen unless UOE gets another sponsor.
    A "green" energy sponsor could be a nice boost for Disney to update the ride instead of another oil giant like Exxon.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    UOE is one of the originals, and is still there, pretty much in it's original form other than the pre-show and a few tweaks here and there. It is also as relevant today as it was when it was first opened.
    The changes were pretty major, the two "theaters" were petty much redesigned.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    I think it shows what Disney Imagineering was all about back then. A well designed and engineered ride that has stood the test of time.
    It hasn't really stood it well thought, the information is getting severely dated, new topics have surfaced (or rather resurfaced)

• Member of Baxter's Army

However, all of this will never happen unless UOE gets another sponsor.
    The only problem is if you get an oil company to sponsor it, they will want topush it in the "more fossil fuels" direction that I think would be a bad idea.
    For example.
    The Simpsons: Electric Car of the Future - YouTube

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

At minimum, Just an update to some of the AA's and the introduction room would make that ride fantastic again.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

Quote Originally Posted by BandM View Post
    I really don't see why this ride doesn't get flak for being outdated, granted it's still impressive in scale but some scenes are outdated (a millionaire talk show host still uses a CRT? and an old satellite phone from the 90s?), Ellen, Nye and Trebek have all changed a bit, Jeopardy has had several set changes over the years. Anyway, my point is does anyone else here thinks that Universe of Energy could use a major update? If so would you like them to drop the whole Jeopardy theme?
    I agree, what's with those Dinosaurs anyway. I haven't seen a dinosaur standing around in the fields for, well forever! That is outdated. The rest not so much. Yes, Ellen and Alex and Bill (is he still around, I don't recall seeing him anyplace recently) have changed and gotten older, but there personalities are still identical. I love and always have loved Ellen's delivery. It is unique to her and right in character with her persona. (stupid Judy)

Having, just barely, lived through the original UoE which was a 45 minute long commercial for Exxon, this is really much more entertaining and informative, especially to kids. The best part is it still sneaks in the edutainment aspect without them suspecting that is what is happening. The original was just plain awful. Awful!

• Minion

ORWEN: I think this attraction should be replaced by a dark ride based on that wonderful cinematic wonder--The Black Cauldron...

A "green" energy sponsor could be a nice boost for Disney to update the ride instead of another oil giant like Exxon.
    Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    The only problem is if you get an oil company to sponsor it, they will want topush it in the "more fossil fuels" direction that I think would be a bad idea.
    For example.
    The Simpsons: Electric Car of the Future - YouTube
    I agree with the both of you. I definitely think that a "green" sponsor is definitely the way to go. However, considering a lot of "green" companies seem to struggle enough as it is to get the money in order to do their programs, they more than likely won't invest in something such as this.

And when it comes to another oil company sponsoring the ride, it's natural that the ride would be aimed to promote "more fossil fuels". That is the point in sponsorship. They're not going to want to promote the idea of "going green" and using recycling and solar power in order to create energy.

To me it will be a miracle if UOE gets another sponsor.

I'm usually very optimistic and the ride may continue to operate for awhile. However, it seems as if once it loses it's sponsor it's definitely the end. It may still be in operation for awhile, we do not know. However, if it still operates for years to come I do not know whether it will get another sponsor, or not. It seems as if once a ride loses their main sponsor (and this ride had theirs for over 20 years), that they never get another one. The reasons why they never get another sponsor is not only due to less popularity of the ride, but Disney's lack of motivation to upkeep the ride and renovate it (which if they did would make it more popular and alive, but yet they don't).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Honestly... if I had my wish... this Show building is so massive, I really wish we could see a trackless darkride, like pooh's honey hunt, but all about Doctor who... think about the grand sets, adventures, you could have through time and space!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Bearing with the bears

I agree with the both of you. I definitely think that a "green" sponsor is definitely the way to go. However, considering a lot of "green" companies seem to struggle enough as it is to get the money in order to do their programs, they more than likely won't invest in something such as this.

And when it comes to another oil company sponsoring the ride, it's natural that the ride would be aimed to promote "more fossil fuels". That is the point in sponsorship. They're not going to want to promote the idea of "going green" and using recycling and solar power in order to create energy.

To me it will be a miracle if UOE gets another sponsor.

I'm usually very optimistic and the ride may continue to operate for awhile. However, it seems as if once it loses it's sponsor it's definitely the end. It may still be in operation for awhile, we do not know. However, if it still operates for years to come I do not know whether it will get another sponsor, or not. It seems as if once a ride loses their main sponsor (and this ride had theirs for over 20 years), that they never get another one. The reasons why they never get another sponsor is not only due to less popularity of the ride, but Disney's lack of motivation to upkeep the ride and renovate it (which if they did would make it more popular and alive, but yet they don't).
    Maybe a sponsor that isn't a "green" company but a company that pushes for green tech? Something like Google maybe? Anyway, yeah it's on life support at this point, when it becomes too expensive to maintain I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a new "event" pavilion opening up at EPCOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Honestly... if I had my wish... this Show building is so massive, I really wish we could see a trackless darkride, like pooh's honey hunt, but all about Doctor who... think about the grand sets, adventures, you could have through time and space!
    Why Doctor Who? Don't get me wrong it's a good show but it goes against Future Worlds idea, it's an educational show that turned into an adventure show. Other then having a machine with a fantastic sounding parking brake and a screwdriver not much else is futuristic.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Why Doctor Who? Don't get me wrong it's a good show but it goes against Future Worlds idea, it's an educational show that turned into an adventure show. Other then having a machine with a fantastic sounding parking brake and a screwdriver not much else is futuristic.
    Doctor who can travel to the future... FUTURE WORLD! lol

Here's the massive overhaul I'd like to see in an attraction NOT sponsored by any outside company:

* Entry/waiting area -- A cast member welcomes the audience and explains that they are about to see the most elaborate animation ever attempted by Pixar Animation Studios, one that goes back to the dawn of time and imagines the Big Bang ... the start of all energy -- what follows is an animation segment that could also bring back Radok blocks that offers a complex, massive exploration of what might have happened in the big bang. (Think of the big bang sequence that exists, but infinitely more detailed and interpretive.) Set it to an original piece of music by a composer like Hans Zimmer or Michael Giacchino.

* Load area -- keep the same concept of the load and go back to the simple, original idea of using voiceover narration in a darkened theater to maintain the same idea of picking up the story during the time of the dinosaurs. Except broaden the discussion of fossil fuels (still our most important source of daily energy) to explain that because these building blocks of oil are millions of years old, they are not inexhaustible. Then use the concept of a jaw-dropping animated sequence using hand-drawn animation techniques on that massive screen. Set up some dinosaur "characters" with a very small storyline (a mother and child get chased) that can be extended into the AA setting. Focus on the different TYPES of creatures and organic matter found during the prehistoric era -- through animation, we get an in-depth exploration of what this era might have looked like, and then the narrator intones that we are going back in time to see this era for ourselves.

* AA area -- This remains mostly the same, but the characters we were introduced to are added to continue the storyline a little bit ... our "heroes" are seen in all three major areas of the AA section until their escape seems assured, and then ... the meteors begin to fall.

* Second film area -- As the vehicles line up, a narrator explains that what happened next paved the way for humans ... and ultimately for our energy needs. The demise of the dinosaurs was only the start. This brings us to a dramatic depiction of the Extinction Level Event, and we use CG animation to speed through millions of years of human development ... a less humorous but more artistically ambitious "montage" than exists now. This is where the narrator explains that the fuels created during the prehistoric era will run out ... and our efforts today focus on a variety of alternative energies. We are given a basic primer on nuclear energy (a brief look at how it works), solar energy (dramatic shots of solar arrays around the world), bio-fuels (description of how these are created), wind energy (beautiful shots of wind turbines in dramatic locations), geothermal energy (computer animation takes us beneath the surface of the earth) -- this is a kinetic, beautiful, hyper-energetic sequence that makes us aware that we have CHOICES, and to ensure future success, our choices today will determine the world tomorrow. This blends live-action film segments and CG and utilizes high-frame-rate projection.

* Final film area -- A completely re-created version of the song "Energy" opens a montage that shows the FUTURE of energy research, combining images of new cars, new high-speed transportation, new home construction with the latest technologies, and other visual images that underscore how energy creation and use permeates EVERYTHING we do ... the music in this segment feels strangely familiar, and that's because we realize it's a re-orchestrated version of the original Universe of Energy theme. Now, everything in this room comes to bright life ... the whole interior of the room seems to glow and buzz with movement and, well, energy. Suddenly, it stops. The narrator returns with a very short film that starts with depressing images from the 1960s and '70s of polluted cities and says that not too long ago, we were pessimistic about our energy future and our reliance on one basic source of energy. Today (and here, the video image takes over EVERYTHING, similar to the Fremont Street Experience in Las Vegas), we are realizing our WHOLE UNIVERSE is a potential source of renewable energy for us moving forward. The sun, the wind, the earth itself will bring us forward into a future that will impact every one of us ... a future universe of energy that will never end!

With a massive crescendo of music and image ... everything goes dark! But just for a moment, because smart energy will never be exhausted. The lights come on, exit music plays and we depart the show with a sense that there's more to energy than we had ever imagined, and there are many reasons to be optimistic and to learn more.

• Bearing with the bears

Doctor who can travel to the future... FUTURE WORLD! lol
    Wow, for some reason that slipped out of mind for a second, point taken.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Wow, for some reason that slipped out of mind for a second, point taken.
    Just think the Good Doctor could teach us about the future of energy... it could be epic

• Bearing with the bears

Just think the Good Doctor could teach us about the future of energy... it could be epic
    Yeah only problem is it would get dated fairly quickly we all know how TDO just hates updating rides. I doubt they'd like the idea of a ride where they have to redress AAs and sets every few years. Could be cool, though. I'd love to be able to hit the Wibbly lever.

Yeah only problem is it would get dated fairly quickly we all know how TDO just hates updating rides. I doubt they'd like the idea of a ride where they have to redress AAs and sets every few years.
    Perhaps, then, they should be in another line of work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast