Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Bearing with the bears

Universe of Energy in it's current state.

I really don't see why this ride doesn't get flak for being outdated, granted it's still impressive in scale but some scenes are outdated (a millionaire talk show host still uses a CRT? and an old satellite phone from the 90s?), Ellen, Nye and Trebek have all changed a bit, Jeopardy has had several set changes over the years. Anyway, my point is does anyone else here thinks that Universe of Energy could use a major update? If so would you like them to drop the whole Jeopardy theme?

• Team Hail HYDRA

Re: Universe of Energy in it's current state.

sadly ive never been on UOE
    but it is next for a mega refresh(it really needs it)

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

It isn't as bad as other attractions IMO and both people are still semi-relevant. Bill Nye may actually be more relevant now than he was when they made it now that he does the cable news TV rounds as a sort of science defending pundit. CineMagique has similar issues in Paris with the way technology looks, but I don't think it makes an appreciable enough difference that people are going to stop going to either.

• Heavy Breather

I honestly think JII needs attention first, but when they do eventually get around to it. Ellen and Bill Nye needs to go, restore the original theme songs, a new version of the pre show, updated Dinosaurs, and a narration from James Earl Jones would be nice too.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

• Not here to help

It should have been closed ten years ago.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    I honestly think JII needs attention first, but when they do eventually get around to it. Ellen and Bill Nye needs to go, restore the original theme songs, a new version of the pre show, updated Dinosaurs, and a narration from James Earl Jones would be nice too.
    Hmmmm, that would be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    It should have been closed ten years ago.
    Agreed, what would you put in it's place? It's a big building and the theater cars are still great ride vehicles.

It does need a refresh. The attraction is shockingly still relevant, though.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I am actually still amazing by how relevant this attraction still is. Actually it is kind of sad, because it demonstrates how much the US' energy policy has been in neutral.

That being said, the Ellen AA on the ride has always bothered me with how shoddy it is.

I would like to see this Show Building kept, but re-purposed.

It is an impressive size... 500 feet across, which to give you scale... that is from the back of Stitches Great Escape to the back of COP. For Universal peeps.. Men In Black is 250 ft wide.

In American Football Terms that is 1.6 Football fields

So think of that space, and think about the amazing kind of dark ride attraction you could put in that space! Or you could put multiple dark rides.

Think about if Disney built a dark ride on the level of Men In Black exploring time and history or something...

Ideas?
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• A Dark Future

I think the story they're trying to push on us is as relevant today as it ever has been, but everything else has aged, including the actors in it. And how far have we come in animatronic technology since those dinosaurs? I really wouldn't mind if they kept most of the things involved, but update everything, including filming new scenes and set-ups with the actors. Hell, even use the same actors. Ellen and Bill are great! Throw some new dino AA's in there, and this attraction will be boosted again. Oh, and get rid of that dude AA with Ellen's voice fighting off the long necked dinosaur. I don't even know who he is.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I am actually still amazing by how relevant this attraction still is. Actually it is kind of sad, because it demonstrates how much the US' energy policy has been in neutral.

That being said, the Ellen AA on the ride has always bothered me with how shoddy it is.

I would like to see this Show Building kept, but re-purposed.

It is an impressive size... 500 feet across, which to give you scale... that is from the back of Stitches Great Escape to the back of COP. For Universal peeps.. Men In Black is 250 ft wide.

In American Football Terms that is 1.6 Football fields

So think of that space, and think about the amazing kind of dark ride attraction you could put in that space! Or you could put multiple dark rides.

Think about if Disney built a dark ride on the level of Men In Black exploring time and history or something...

Ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I think the story they're trying to push on us is as relevant today as it ever has been, but everything else has aged, including the actors in it. And how far have we come in animatronic technology since those dinosaurs? I really wouldn't mind if they kept most of the things involved, but update everything, including filming new scenes and set-ups with the actors. Hell, even use the same actors. Ellen and Bill are great! Throw some new dino AA's in there, and this attraction will be boosted again. Oh, and get rid of that dude AA with Ellen's voice fighting off the long necked dinosaur. I don't even know who he is.
    Didn't that AA cost something like 150 million dollars? Anyway, it's interesting to see the split opinions on what should happen to the attraction.
    Last edited by BandM; 12-21-2012 at 03:58 PM.

• Team Hail HYDRA

Does anyone have a great HD pov???

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

The ride system is as impressive to me today as it was in 1982. That said, I'd love to see the scenes and animatronics totally refreshed and the films updated and shortened a little.

What worries me are all the lines Bill Nye has related to "and we've found enough of xx to last another 50 years!". Well, that's now what, 35 years? If that's true, it's very depressing.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Insomniac

WOL, Imagination, Maelstrom, World Showcase, and Mission Space are all higher priorities for me. Personally, I love UOE. Just the scale of it astounds me. However, minus the dinosaur scene, it is a little long. I love pavilions like Living Seas and The Land that have multiple attractions. UOE always felt to me like it should have more to it than just one spectacular ride. Alas without removing part of the ride/ all of it I don't see how there is room for another ride in the building. I don't know how the ride layout works, but would it be possible to replace the projection rooms with some physical sets? I would also shorten the ride significantly. I wouldn't mind the pre-show getting a more exciting makeover as well.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

That the Universe of Energy still operates daily in late 2012 in its 1996 Ellen format is Example #364 of how horribly Walt Disney World is managed and operated. You just can't help but feel embarrassed for them out there in the swamp.

The Ellen AA was actually 2 million dollars, or 2.5 million dollars. I can't remember off the top of my head, it was around that. Also, at the time "Ellen" was the most advanced AA at Walt Disney World besides the Wicked Witch in The Great Movie Ride. However, unfortunately at the moment she doesn't seem all that great from the last time I've seen her and has others have pointed out.

I'm not all in favor in getting rid of it all together. It's still relevant and now more than ever. Also, it's one of the very few things in EPCOT that still educates us and also focuses on the concept of technology. Which was what EPCOT was all about when the park opened. Also, it's one of the few original rides, although it had a complete re-vamp in the 1990's.

They need to redo everything almost: cast new hosts, or simply bring Bill Nye and Ellen back, drop the whole Jeopardy concept (new pre and post show), update the AA, and not only talk about the previous matters they've brought up before, but perhaps think of more modern ways to reduce energy, or other energy sources, or talk more about what can become of the future?

However, all of this will never happen unless UOE gets another sponsor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast