• time to go

WDW AP merch discounts reduced for 2013

DIS Boards, WDWMagic, and AllEars are reporting that WDW Premium and Premiere AP merchandise discounts are going to be reduced from 20% to 10%. The Premiere AP discount at DL will still remain at 20%.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Minion

Re: WDW AP merch discounts reduced for 2013

Do you (or they) happen to have sources on this change? I tend not to believe anything like this unless it comes from MiceChat...

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Do you (or they) happen to have sources on this change? I tend not to believe anything like this unless it comes from MiceChat...
    Apparently it came from the latest AP newsletter. I don't have an AP for WDW so I cannot personally verify the source. But all three sources especially Deb Wills over at AllEars are very reliable with their info.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    It is also posted on the CM website The Hub telling CM's how to use the changeover.

Bummer. This is actually true. I don't understand it but I looked into this and it is true and effective Jan 1. IMO Another decline by degree and another example of the less is more management mentality that seems to too often prevail at WDW.

• Inappropriate

Awesome! Let's alienate the die-hard fans who spend a lot of money for their APs! This is a brilliant business model! Coming soon: a caning with each ticket purchase!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Awesome! Let's alienate the die-hard fans who spend a lot of money for their APs! This is a brilliant business model! Coming soon: a caning with each ticket purchase!

At this point it is obvious that if you're a "casual pass holder" (that is, someone that doesn't readily live near the parks but goes 4 to 5 times per year - I live in Chicago) - it's just gotten to the point of absurdity with Disney price increases relative to value we're getting as pass holders. And now, they can't afford to keep a 20% discount on the cheap, antiseptic merchandise they're offering - unreal.

I opted NOT to renew my Premium (DL/WDW) pass when it expired 3 weeks ago. I think I come out ahead just waiting for the next free dining promo at WDW which is seemingly offered every few weeks.

Since I'm on a mini-soap box, I challenge the AP community to face up to a hard fact - are you really getting value out of your pass? Yes, if you live in the immediate areas of the parks I assume you go multiple times per year and the pass "pays for itself". But Disney has really jumped the shark these days on prices to the point that the out of state pass holders (even the DVC die hards - are they really a value anymore).

At WDW, the next big thing on deck is Avatar and that is hardly going to motivate me to by an annual pass for that resort. At DLR, well they'd better fast track that Iron Man ride quickly and perhaps I might consider getting an AP for that resort - but the Premium pass (WDW/DLR) days are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerPassholdeer View Post
    At this point it is obvious that if you're a "casual pass holder" (that is, someone that doesn't readily live near the parks but goes 4 to 5 times per year - I live in Chicago) - it's just gotten to the point of absurdity with Disney price increases relative to value we're getting as pass holders. And now, they can't afford to keep a 20% discount on the cheap, antiseptic merchandise they're offering - unreal.

I opted NOT to renew my Premium (DL/WDW) pass when it expired 3 weeks ago. I think I come out ahead just waiting for the next free dining promo at WDW which is seemingly offered every few weeks.

Since I'm on a mini-soap box, I challenge the AP community to face up to a hard fact - are you really getting value out of your pass? Yes, if you live in the immediate areas of the parks I assume you go multiple times per year and the pass "pays for itself". But Disney has really jumped the shark these days on prices to the point that the out of state pass holders (even the DVC die hards - are they really a value anymore).

At WDW, the next big thing on deck is Avatar and that is hardly going to motivate me to by an annual pass for that resort. At DLR, well they'd better fast track that Iron Man ride quickly and perhaps I might consider getting an AP for that resort - but the Premium pass (WDW/DLR) days are long gone.

Here is the Orlando Sentinel article about the discount cut back. I applaud them for recognizing what so many of us have been saying - the maintenance has gone down and all Disney is doing is jacking up the prices.

Disney cuts back on discount for passholders

• Inappropriate

It's amazing how prices rise, yet there hasn't been an increase in things to do. The Fantasyland expansion looks great, but it boosted MK's ride roster by zero. The new Test Track looks great, but two doors down we have a large empty pavilion that is used for special events, even though they already have a pavilion used for special events behind the UK area that isn't usually used for anything. Hollywood Studios is a logistical nightmare, oh, and it isn't even a studio. Animal Kingdom has a star animatronic that has been dead for longer now than it was alive, and the new Avatarland will supposedly replace camp Minnie Mickey. If the experiences have plateaued, shouldn't the prices plateau as well?

in my opinion epcot not only needs one e- ticket ride they need two,Mk needs 2 ,hollywood studios needs 2 and animal kingdom needs 2...and what do they have on the drawing board now ZEEEEERROOOOOOOOOOO

Cutting the Premium AP merchandise discount right at the end of the promotion DVC is running on Premium AP's? Ridiculously stupid, and as one of the people who took advantage of the Premium AP promotion, quite frankly it pissed me off to hear about. It's a move straight out of 'Management By Spreadsheet 101', and about as bright as a burned out light bulb. If any of the Disney suits that were involved with this decision need to know where to find said burned out light bulb, just head to Magic Kingdom, you'll find plenty of them there.

At least I'm not bitter or anything...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Meanwhile at Universal Orlando I get:

Free valet parking (excludes holidays & special events)
    Free preferred self-parking every time you visit
    Free Nestle Pure Life water††
    One (1) FREE ticket to Halloween Horror Nights*
    Additional discounts on Food & Merchandise
    All club access to CityWalk for passholders¥
    Save up to 30% off room rates1 at each on-site hotel
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by