Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Marching along

Re: Carousel of Progress...or Nastiness!

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Very important question. I think most tourists don't even see it - it's pushed back in a corner in a very nondescript building - so that right there diminishes it's ride counts. Location, as we know, can mean everything.
    Consider also how Tomorrowland has evolved (devolved?) around it in the last 13-14 years. COP used to be surrounded by future transportation (Peoplemover presented as a serious transit possibility), flights of fancy (If You Had Wings/Deamflight), future cinema (Circlevision), time travel (Timekeeper) and space travel (Star Jets, Space Mountain, Mission to Mars, even Alien Encounter would qualify for this to a certain extent).

The future presented in Tomorrowland was full of adventure, travel, intrigue, inspiration... and promise. COP was a big part of the theme, but it worked well because the surrounding attractions supported its message. It's also, BTW, why old-school Future World worked so well at EPCOT but that's another discussion.

Fast forward to 2013 and look at what surrounds COP today. Buzz, Stitch, the endlessly tacky (and loud) dance party stage, and a Monsters Inc. Comedy Club. COP is competing for attention in a "future" full of cheap laughs, interglactic war and a prisoner processing facility.

COP has become a misfit in its own land. A great big neglected and dysfuntional tomorrow. A perfect example of how abandonment of theme leads to confusion, dissonance and discomfort for guests. It's harder to relax and immerse yourself in the Magic when you're not sure what it is you're supposed to be immersing yourself in.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

@Virtual Toad --- you make a WONDERFUL point. That CoP has become an misfit in it's own land.

No longer is it surrounded by visions of the future. It is now a relic of the past, surrounded by loud, flashy, and a few tacky attractions.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Marching along

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    @Virtual Toad --- you make a WONDERFUL point. That CoP has become an misfit in it's own land.

No longer is it surrounded by visions of the future. It is now a relic of the past, surrounded by loud, flashy, and a few tacky attractions.
    Thank you my friend.

The question is, what can be done? Is the damage irreversible? Does anyone even care? I think DisCo should. Classic WDW's adherence to theme on ALL levels is part of what made it great, part of what made fans like us crave the experience.

Sadly I fear Tomorrowland is too far gone to salvage. The best hope for COP, IMHO, is to salvage a scene or two and incorporate them into Horizons 2.0 at EPCOT. Future World is a mess (again thanks to Disney giving up on the purity of its own product) but there's still time there to ditch the cartoon characters and get back to the business of inspiring hope for the future. Imagine what we could all accomplish as a society with a little inspiration.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Toad View Post
    Thank you my friend.
    Sadly I fear Tomorrowland is too far gone to salvage. The best hope for COP, IMHO, is to salvage a scene or two and incorporate them into Horizons 2.0 at EPCOT. Future World is a mess (again thanks to Disney giving up on the purity of its own product) but there's still time there to ditch the cartoon characters and get back to the business of inspiring hope for the future. Imagine what we could all accomplish as a society with a little inspiration.
    I have to agree that I think it is too far gone.

I think they should simply save parts of Carousel of Progress for the Smithsonian and just put a Wreck-it-Ralph or whatever IP attraction in it's place

I could never think to get rid of COP. Not only it's one of the original rides of Disney, but also is considered Walt Disney's favorite project that he worked on personally. Sadly, that's the only reason why they keep it is due to that reason, but clearly they don't put the TLC that Walt ever done.

The way to bring in people are not "surprise Fast passes", but for them to just get it done and renovate it already. The reason why people don't go is, because of the condition of the AAs, the state that the theater is in, and how dated the attraction is in general. They used to update and renovate this ride every decade and the last time they updated it was in the mid-1990's. It's 2013, it's definitely time to give it some serious work and needs a lot of changes.

If they give it a big renovation job they need to dramatically change the last scene, or heck even change up a couple of scenes (as someone said previously it's kind of strange how it goes from 20's, 40's, to suddenly the future), give it a paint job, clean up the theater, give it some new seats, and ect.

That is what will bring people in. For them to finally suck it up, spend the money, and fix up and renovate the ride.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

The attraction re-opened November 23, 1993

That means we are about to hit 20... TWENTY years.... since it's last update.

Let that sink in.... 20 years.

• former CM

This was one of my all-time favorite attractions with either of its two Sherman Bros. theme songs,
    but if Disney doesn't care enough to keep it spiffy
    I'll be less likely to cross the country to go to Walt
    less Disney World.

Last edited by jcruise86; 01-05-2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: typo

• Carousel Theater Host

How fortunate people in Florida are...

What I wouldn't give to be able to watch a show inside the Carousel Theater at Disneyland again. I grew up visiting Disneyland every year and America Sings was my favorite attraction. I was really sad when they got rid of it and shut down the Carousel Theater in 1988. (Innoventions at Disneyland, although it uses the rotating building concept is not a Carousel Theater)

I have been out to WDW 4 times and every time I have gone, Carousel of Progress has been at the top of my "Must Do" list. Despite any state of repair or disrepair, the fact of the matter is, it still works. It's still open. Seats are still inside the theater. The show goes on.

How fortunate people visiting WDW are to have a working Carousel Theater with its originally intended show inside.

Last time we visited WDW, we rode the Carousel of Progress at least 4 or 5 times. Even broke down one day during a heavy rainstorm and stranded us in the 1940s. Can't say I minded watching the same scene at all...would have rather stayed warm and dry inside vs. being outside in the pouring rain.

• Bearing with the bears

Thank you my friend.

The question is, what can be done? Is the damage irreversible? Does anyone even care? I think DisCo should. Classic WDW's adherence to theme on ALL levels is part of what made it great, part of what made fans like us crave the experience.

But what makes it beyond salvageable? Buzz is just a bunch of cheap plywood with lots of dark light and it still uses the same track IYHW used, Stich could be ripped apart and made into a more family friendly attraction (hey if Pressler can find the budget to rip apart a theater like that and replace it with a fast food restaurant it can't be that expensive), the Peoplemover still glides along Tomorrowland and could use some "nextgen" projection/touchscreen tackiness to spurs it up and Space Mountain... ask me about that one when you're able to fly in space for under a million USD a person -although Vekoma rebuilding the track and replacing the ear shattering chains of doom that it currently uses would be nice-. It's nothing that couldn't be pulled or removed.

• Marching along

Quote Originally Posted by BandM View Post
    But what makes it beyond salvageable? Buzz is just a bunch of cheap plywood with lots of dark light and it still uses the same track IYHW used, Stich could be ripped apart and made into a more family friendly attraction (hey if Pressler can find the budget to rip apart a theater like that and replace it with a fast food restaurant it can't be that expensive), the Peoplemover still glides along Tomorrowland and could use some "nextgen" projection/touchscreen tackiness to spurs it up and Space Mountain... ask me about that one when you're able to fly in space for under a million USD a person -although Vekoma rebuilding the track and replacing the ear shattering chains of doom that it currently uses would be nice-. It's nothing that couldn't be pulled or removed.
    I would love nothing more than a complete redux of Tommorowland. Unfortunately, I think it's too far gone in the sense that today's DisCo is more interested in cartoon/IP $$$ than original attractions that inspire.

Gutting most of the land at the same time is totally impractial from a pragmatic/capacity standpoint given the capacity crunch WDW has allowed to develop in the last 15 years. Shifting attractions back to the land's original theme one at a time would take decades at the pace DisCo operates these days. By then COP would really be showing its age.

Future World has more hope IMHO because there are fewer pavilions/attractions that need to be fixed to return the park to its original intent. Some still work with the theme, others are already empty or due for updates.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Let's look at Tommorrow Land....

Attraction:
    Space Mountain: Year Opened: 1975 Last Changed: 2009 (3 years)
    Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin: Year opened: 1998 Last Changed: N/A (14 years)
    Stitch's Great Escape: Year Opened: 2004 Last Changed: N/A (8 years)
    Monsters Inc Laugh Floor: Year Opened: 2007 Last Changed: N/A (5 years)
    Carousel of Progress: Year Opened: 1975 Last Changed: 1994 (18 Years)
    People Mover: Year Opened: 1975 Last Changed: 1994 (18 years)
    Tomorrowland Speedway: Year Opened: 1971 Last Changed: 1994 (18 years)
    Astro Orbiter: Year Opened: 1974 Last Changed: 1994 (18 years)

When you look at Tomorrowland you have attractions that haven't been touched really in 10 - 18 years.

Space Mountain's 2009 refurb shouldn't really count since it was pretty much just an asbestos removal project, with some minor cosmetic and structural changes.

• Bearing with the bears

I would love nothing more than a complete redux of Tommorowland. Unfortunately, I think it's too far gone in the sense that today's DisCo is more interested in cartoon/IP $$$ than original attractions that inspire.

Gutting most of the land at the same time is totally impractial from a pragmatic/capacity standpoint given the capacity crunch WDW has allowed to develop in the last 15 years. Shifting attractions back to the land's original theme one at a time would take decades at the pace DisCo operates these days. By then COP would really be showing its age.

Future World has more hope IMHO because there are fewer pavilions/attractions that need to be fixed to return the park to its original intent. Some still work with the theme, others are already empty or due for updates.
    Thing is you'd have just as much luck strong arming TDO into giving funding for gutting TL as building a new pavilion in FW. And how is FW not that far gone? It seems to be, a land of optimistic thinking and innovation replaced with such great rides as: 15 minutes in a cheaply built building with a CGI puppet and Eric Idle, Nemo projected on an aquarium, Innovention featuring dated side attractions and haphazardly built exhibitions, Mission: Space featuring a building smaller then it's predecessor and Universe of Energy presented by people that have aged a lot since 1996.

Let's look at Tommorrow Land....

Attraction:
    Space Mountain: Year Opened: 1975 Last Changed: 2009 (3 years)
    Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin: Year opened: 1998 Last Changed: N/A (14 years)
    Stitch's Great Escape: Year Opened: 2004 Last Changed: N/A (8 years)
    Monsters Inc Laugh Floor: Year Opened: 2007 Last Changed: N/A (5 years)
    Carousel of Progress: Year Opened: 1975 Last Changed: 1994 (18 Years)
    People Mover: Year Opened: 1975 Last Changed: 1994 (18 years)
    Tomorrowland Speedway: Year Opened: 1971 Last Changed: 1994 (18 years)
    Astro Orbiter: Year Opened: 1974 Last Changed: 1994 (18 years)

When you look at Tomorrowland you have attractions that haven't been touched really in 10 - 18 years.

Space Mountain's 2009 refurb shouldn't really count since it was pretty much just an asbestos removal project, with some minor cosmetic and structural changes.

Honestly the last major update SM got was in 85 with RCYA-1, anything past that point has been plusing/things to avoid getting into trouble with OSHA.
    I wouldn't be surprised to find a laser disc player or two in storage.
    Last edited by BandM; 01-04-2013 at 12:25 PM.

• Doombuggy Rider

OUCH !!! Those Disney Family Members no longer with us would be rolling in their graves with disgust (if there are any Disney Family Members left in Walt Disney Co.'s Corporate Offices? They should call for the immediate termination of employment on all Management responsible for this neglect)!!

This is more dirty then a Cedar Fair / Six Flags Theme Park (what am embarrassment to the Walt Disney Theme Parks). This is a prime example of "we don't care" that should never ever ever occur @ a Walt Disney Theme Park -

C J

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have been reading this thread since it was first posted, and I find myself wishing that perhaps I hadn't. Let me explain further. My trip to Disney World is scheduled for April. Mostly, I am returning to the world so that I can experience the Fantasyland expansion. Magic Kingdom has always been my favorite of the Disney World parks. This is both before, and after my first trip to Disneyland in 2005. My last trip the the Magic Kingdom was in 2009, and I do admit, that I found things a bit off. I came back to Chicago, not wanting to start planning a return trip, and that hadn't happened up to that point in time.

I am hoping I can return to the Magic Kingdom, and discover some new magic. Wiping thoughts of maintenance issues from my mind. I guess only time will tell.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Bearing with the bears

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I have been reading this thread since it was first posted, and I find myself wishing that perhaps I hadn't. Let me explain further. My trip to Disney World is scheduled for April. Mostly, I am returning to the world so that I can experience the Fantasyland expansion. Magic Kingdom has always been my favorite of the Disney World parks. This is both before, and after my first trip to Disneyland in 2005. My last trip the the Magic Kingdom was in 2009, and I do admit, that I found things a bit off. I came back to Chicago, not wanting to start planning a return trip, and that hadn't happened up to that point in time.

I am hoping I can return to the Magic Kingdom, and discover some new magic. Wiping thoughts of maintenance issues from my mind. I guess only time will tell.
    You can still look forward to riding the fantastically refurbished BTMR, the new dark ride Test Track, new Fantasyland and several minor change to other rides. WDW is a mixed bag it's got good and bad.
    Last edited by BandM; 01-06-2013 at 07:40 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast