Has the cost of a WDW Annual Pass in 2013 exceeded the value received?

With the recent news about the WDW merchandise discount percentage being scaled back from 20% to 10% in 2013, I'm curious what the AP community thinks about this, and if this will lead to some sort of a revolt with your wallets - that is fewer AP renewals?

Has Disney finally "jumped the shark" and hit that point where the passes are just too expensive relative to the value received.

I guess this question is targeted more toward the "casual" pass holder, that is someone who might be a DVC member, Premier (WDW & DLR) pass holder or anyone from out of the state of Florida that takes pride in having an AP yet feels like the "cache" and perks of ownership just aren't there anymore. The local pass holder will probably continue to purchase the passes as they get more value out of them since they have more opportunity use (but even then, high prices are high prices).

I really feel that Disney management just assumes that this AP user base if always going to be there and, therefore, they take us for granted. I do believe that with the ginormous price increases, the reduction of perks and the misguided direction that WDW parks seem to be taking these days - it just seems like more and more folks are going to decline to renew and Disney is leaving revenue on the table in a "penny wise, pound foolish" manner that would probably even make Scrooge McDuck squirm.

Thoughts?

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

Re: Has the cost of a WDW Annual Pass in 2013 exceeded the value received?

I still think you guys have the best Annual pass pricing for your Walt Disney World resort compare that to Disneyland Resort. It's still reasonable.

First of all, you guys get to go into all 4 parks, 2 water parks, free parking, etc.

whereas, here at the Disneyland resort, we only get to enter 2 parks and still pay a hefty 650 bucks for a premium pass whereas Florida resident can get a premium for 595.00
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalbma View Post
    First of all, you guys get to go into all 4 parks, 2 water parks, free parking, etc.

whereas, here at the Disneyland resort, we only get to enter 2 parks and still pay a hefty 650 bucks for a premium pass whereas Florida resident can get a premium for 595.00
    Ok can someone explain how the $595 for WDW vs. $650 for DLR even compares?

I mean...how is it that for $595 a Florida resident can get into 4 parks and 2 water parks plus parking
    vs.
    for $650 a California resident can only get into 2 parks....

Am I missing something?

• Inappropriate

I posted this in another thread, so I'll just paste it into this one too:
    It's amazing how prices rise, yet there hasn't been an increase in things to do. The Fantasyland expansion looks great, but it boosted MK's ride roster by zero. The new Test Track looks great, but two doors down we have a large empty pavilion that is used for special events, even though they already have a pavilion used for special events behind the UK area that isn't usually used for anything. Hollywood Studios is a logistical nightmare, oh, and it isn't even a studio. Animal Kingdom has a star animatronic that has been dead for longer now than it was alive, and the new Avatarland will supposedly replace camp Minnie Mickey. If the experiences have plateaued, shouldn't the prices plateau as well?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post

I mean...how is it that for $595 a Florida resident can get into 4 parks and 2 water parks plus parking
    vs.

Am I missing something?
    I might be completely off-base, but here is my reasoning:
    CA has a higher cost of living, more residents (especially families) in the immediate area, has less competition for entertainment (meaning the price is less elastic--where else would we go?), and frequently hits big attendance numbers for only having two parks.

Florida has far more space and as a resort is only a million or so guests per year ahead of DLR.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post

vs.

Am I missing something?
    Both FL and CA have special 'locals' passes and prices. FL has a seasonal pass - similar to the socal select stuff.. but severly limited.. and they have discounts on the full premier passes like the one stated. CA skips that second half and doesn't give you discounts on the full APs.

Why? Simply the different demographics. DLR is surrounded by millions and they are dominate in the AP population. FL on the other hand, has a much smaller local population, and APs tend to be more 'travel in..' visitors.

The 4 park vs 2 park thing is a potaTOE/poTAToe thing. But the water parks are nice
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

ORDDU: When did Florida Passholders ever receive more than a 10 percent discount on merchandise--except during special occasions? As far as my sisters and I knew, it's always been at 10 percent.

The price for my AP (Which is all 4 parks and Parking) was about $420 this year (I renewed last week). I paid $380 last year. Yes, I'm upset that I pay that much money and I think the value has declined. But I'd much rather spent my money on a Disney AP, because I feel that Disney Parks have the highest level of repeatability.
    Theme Park Reporter
    -Coaster-net.com
    -WDWNT:The Magazine

• Poor chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I might be completely off-base, but here is my reasoning:
    CA has a higher cost of living, more residents (especially families) in the immediate area, has less competition for entertainment (meaning the price is less elastic--where else would we go?), and frequently hits big attendance numbers for only having two parks.

Florida has far more space and as a resort is only a million or so guests per year ahead of DLR.
    So cal has just as many entertainment opportunities as Orlando. Six Flags, Knotts, Universal, Sea World, zoos, etc. Yes more AP holders due to higher population density, but where does the value match up with the 4 parks, 2 water parks? Just because the average WDW AP holder makes fewer visits than a DL passholder makes the justification for higher prices, the convenience of many so cal locals making short visits, I don't know for sure. I don't think Disney cares about local cost of living since so much of their business is from out of town vacationers on both coasts. They are just pushing the threshold on how much they can cut back while raising prices until they reach their profitability peak. Once they start dropping off in revenue, only then will we see a change in the current trend.
    As to the original question, I think the "value" of a FL AP will be gone when it's no longer worth it to people to make a trip down more than once per year. Unless you are one of the few that lives within driving distance for a 1 day visit, and with few promising upgrades on the horizonm I see that value diminishing fast.

• Marching along

We're semi-locals (90 minutes away) who used to visit frequently on weekends and stay several weeks on property as well ($$$). But AP prices have reached the breaking point for us. Charging kids the same price as adults is ridiculous. My youngest isn't even tall enough to ride all the rides.

With the higher prices, questionable upkeep, stagnation, overcrowding, bland yet expensive food, destruction and neglect of classic rides/attractions, lack of adult offerings, and the impending implementation of FP+, visiting WDW has become more of a chore than a pleasure. The AP pricing is just the icing on the cake for us. We've let our passes lapse even though the kids still have 5 months left on theirs.

So we'll no longer be an AP family. But I really think DisCo wants it that way. They'd rather fill the parks with clueless "all inclusive" tourists than discriminating repeat customers. We spent a heck of a lot of money at WDW each year, (yes, even APers stay on-site) but Disney is pursuing a different business model (which is their perogative) and is sending a clear message that APers are no longer welcome. I personally disagree with that philosopny, but nevertheless we've heard the message loud and clear and are adjusting our leisure time accordingly.

passholders in ca,for the most part are locals...and the parks are smaller,but pack much more in ...Disney is at breaking point for passholders and they openly admit they are trying to discourage some or make it impossible to be a passholder...Disney under IGER is doing well but has losta lot of opportunities to be better,now with hard ticket Christmas coming to CA,passholders will be further discouraged from buying one

I have a premier pass,that too has reached 849,times 3 equals 2547 plus tax...I probably won't renew ...there reaches a point when you say you reached my point,that said I will make my judgements on what type of pass I need since I live in ca and visit fl at least once a year mostly twice and this year 3 times...so this years value is there but next years not so much,we plan on being there next spring fo 14 days,no second trip planned right now,but since we live in ca ,we might do premium here when necessary,but our premier expires with our next trip with a total of 47 days from 4 trips,some value........but our next trip will not be until spring 0f 14 so no pass necessary...

• Poor chicken!

We decided not to renew our premiers, we will wait until jan 14 to take our next trip to WDW, then probably take another year off. Who knows when we will return to DL, it sucks because the kids love it so much but I can't justify $400 for a day at DL for a family of 4. Nor can I justify $2k plus for AP's!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: When did Florida Passholders ever receive more than a 10 percent discount on merchandise--except during special occasions? As far as my sisters and I knew, it's always been at 10 percent.
    Premium APs get a 20% discount, but as of next month it's dropping to 10%. Funny thing is, sometimes a CM would give me the 20% discount even though I have a regular, non-premium AP. I figured they were just being extra nice or they hit the wrong button on the cash register.

I do hate though how they took away a lot of the dining discounts. When I had an AP in 2000-2001, I got discounts at the quick/counter service places as well as full service. Now it's only for the full service locations... and then only certain ones. I hardly ever do the full services places because they're expensive and I like to eat when I'm hungry, not when a reservation time tells me it's time to eat.

We are DVCers, so with the discount, we can somewhat justify paying for the AP/PAP, then renewal heeds a little extra off. But, after returning to WDW so many trips, at this point, without the discounts, I cant say we would be buying APs every year if paying full price. We would be content hanging out at the resort, maybe seeing other sites/themeparks around central FL.