Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Any Tips, Tricks, or General Advice for a Disneylander's First Trip to WDW?

I guess it depends on what you want, but you can't beat cruising with Disney.

Going to the parks is a different experience, though, different but yet the same as Disneyland.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

The only problem is that my family only has enough money for one or the other once a year. I can either go a week at WDW or a week out at sea. Sorry to say but 3-4 days won't be enough. Let me explain a bit on that.

The trip to the MR was 7 days long with two or three days out at sea. My family (Especially me) loved it so much. I forgot the name of the ship and the name of the port we disembarked from, but in all technicality all 7 days were spent on the ship, getting off at each port to see the sights and returning to continue the fun on the ship. During that time we wish we took an extended 14 day cruise, but we knew we couldn't afford it in a long time.

We tried 3-4 day cruises to both the Mexican Riviera and Alaska, and we all agreed that 3-4 days just isn't enough. In fact, when those cruises ended we sort of felt half fulfilled. And spending that much money for half of the feeling just didn't seem right.

Right now I am leaning towards going on a Disney Cruise this year and WDW next year. I really want to see the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster, as well as seeing what Kalogridis does to the kingdom. I do hope I decide soon though. Time is running short. Anything else anyone wants to add to maybe sway my opinion in one direction or another?

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Take the cruise.

Return to WDW when Fantasyland is totally complete. That way, you won't leave WDW feeling like you missed something.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Right now I am leaning towards going on a Disney Cruise this year and WDW next year. I really want to see the Seven Dwarfs Mine Coaster, as well as seeing what Kalogridis does to the kingdom. I do hope I decide soon though. Time is running short. Anything else anyone wants to add to maybe sway my opinion in one direction or another?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Take the cruise.

Return to WDW when Fantasyland is totally complete. That way, you won't leave WDW feeling like you missed something.
    There in lies the problem. WDW is far more than just the Kingdom.

If your excuse to not visit is FL construction. That will be you excuse again and again. Because after that, Avatarland, and after that something else and something else. It will be a shame if you never get to WDW.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have been reading this thread since the beginning, and I apologize if I am wrong. I somehow feel that the OP is a bit overwhelmed by the bigness of WDW, and all the planning that it takes to guarantee a successful trip.

I have never been on a cruise, but perhaps at this point in time it would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    There in lies the problem. WDW is far more than just the Kingdom.

If your excuse to not visit is FL construction. That will be you excuse again and again. Because after that, Avatarland, and after that something else and something else. It will be a shame if you never get to WDW.
    Don't worry. We'd be able to do WDW next year. We have enough for one vacation per year, and in this case enough for either WDW or a Cruise right now. It was just a matter of trying to decide between something good and something good. Fantasyland is not my only excuse. There are other things that factor in. Fantasyland is just something that always comes to mind when typing these things.

For next year I am hoping to shoot for February as my WDW time. It's not at the peak season of the year and the weather should be slightly tamer than in summer. Plus the Fantasyland Expansion should be complete, and hopefully some problems with WDW should be sorted out through Kalogridis (Key word: hopefully). The main problem is my school. I am still in high school and am stuck to a traditional calendar. I used to have a non-traditional schedule with a month of school then a month of break repeated. That would of allowed me to go during the perfect time when it was not peak season and weather would be tame. So another future possibility would be when I leave high school in two years, I could plan another WDW vacation of my dream where I would not be restricted by schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I have been reading this thread since the beginning, and I apologize if I am wrong. I somehow feel that the OP is a bit overwhelmed by the bigness of WDW, and all the planning that it takes to guarantee a successful trip.

I have never been on a cruise, but perhaps at this point in time it would be a better choice.
    I am a bit overwhelmed by the bigness of WDW, but I don't want to plan out every single move of my day. I just want to try and get a very broad view on topics that I am curious about and want to know some answers for.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Don't think your suggestions have gone in vain however. I will start applying them into my visits at Disneyland to try and see if I could get a little used to a WDW trip routine. Although I may not take a trip to WDW this year, February of 2014 seems like a likely candidate. Once again, thanks.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

I planned my quickie visit to WDW a bit, just writing on a slip of paper the things I wanted to see, essentially in order going around the park that I was visiting that day. It was something to job my memory, to make sure I saw the things I wanted to see, while still letting me have freedom to be spontaneous.

I hope you have a fantastic trip, whether you pick the cruise or the parks! I lover cruising, so I'm a little biased in that direction, but the parks are awesome, too.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Under that tree again!

One thing I want to mention about the cruises if that is what you choose. Hurricane season runs June to December, peaking in late August/start of September. So if that' your choice go earlier in the summer.

Also beware that the long cruises are more likely to be exposed to a hurricane's path. The itinerary can often be changed as they try to route the ship around a storm. Sometimes this means another at sea day rather than making a port of call, or an alternative port of call. Check the weather right before your trip in case the ship's route and a hurricane path intersect.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123