Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Universal Middle Earth Land

I would love to see a true theme park capital expenditure war here in Florida! lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Closed Account

They had theme park rights for Star Wars for TWENTY FIVE YEARS. What makes you think they will do ANYTHING with them NOW?? Get real.

• Certified in everything

Why are we pretending that Avatar and Cars even begin to rival the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings properties? I don't think that these new property developments by Universal are by any means the "death" of Disney (as that is just a silly idea/way of thinking about this)... but Star Wars is more on par with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, and Disney has yet to do anything groundbreakingly impressive with it.

IF Universal is able to put together a Lord of the Rings offering on par with Harry Potter, Disney should do something with Star Wars, as Avatar and Cars aren't nearly as exciting and simply will stop cutting it.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Um.. they have STAR WARS. they can build a whole new theme park all about Star Wars. Or their own billion dollar Star Wars land. Star Wars versus Middle Earth... kinda funny but even playing fields.

As for Harry Potter, it really is small and the expansion is coming but it's not enough to take down Disney.
    I don't think it's about taking down Disney. When I last went to Orlando, I found myself in the Universal parks for two days. I walked away thinking I would have been better off spending three days there. This is less time than I spent at Disney.

On the west coast side, I can do DL/DCA in 2-3 days at most. So the ideal vacation is hitting Universal in Orlando for an extended weekend and then hitting up DL/DCA for an extended weekend. Combined, I think, that's a better alternative than hitting WDW and Universal in Orlando.

• Minion

I hope this happens. Disney World really needs something to bring them to their feet. Disney World has many areas and attractions that haven't been updated in years. You have other parks that haven't had a major addition in years as well. Disney needs to get it together!
    Jeff Wayne

This might look bad for Disney, but It's actually the best thing that can happen because it forces them to compete. Competition is good.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    This might look bad for Disney, but It's actually the best thing that can happen because it forces them to compete. Competition is good.
    Disney is only forced to compete unless the people force them to compete. universal can build all they want but until significant numbers of DVC'ers and AP holders start spending time or more time at the other establishments Disney will not change their plans very much.

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Disney is only forced to compete unless the people force them to compete. universal can build all they want but until significant numbers of DVC'ers and AP holders start spending time or more time at the other establishments Disney will not change their plans very much.
    This would be an absolutely atrocious business attitude for Disney to have, and thank goodness it doesn't seem to be the way they think about things. Generally, if you start losing customers, it may already be too late to get them back.

Universal's numbers are way up, and those numbers represent dollars that customers are willing to spend on themed entertainment in Orlando. For Disney to not even try to compete (as you appear to suggest) when actively loosing market share just flat out doesn't make sense as a business strategy.

There is not a fictional fan-made competition between these parks, it is very real. Disney tried to negotiate Potter, they didn't, and now customers that would have belonged to Disney belong to Universal.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Absolutely right Cruise.

Disney judges what they are doing based on attendance. More attendance = more money. If people end up going to Universal instead of Disney, Disney will definitely learn this quickly and it's up to them to determine how to get people going to their parks rather than Universal.

I do know for a fact that the close proximity of the competition is slightly good because guests of one park usually chose to go to competing parks for a few days. Either way, if this happens, Disney is going to feel it. They do need a big kick in the pants.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Inappropriate

I can't think of a single possible ride that would fit the LotR setting. The droptower of Barad-dr? Walking: The Ride? Middle Earth is one of my favorite things, maybe second only to Star Wars, but I can't picture it at all in a theme park setting.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    This would be an absolutely atrocious business attitude for Disney to have, and thank goodness it doesn't seem to be the way they think about things. Generally, if you start losing customers, it may already be too late to get them back.

Universal's numbers are way up, and those numbers represent dollars that customers are willing to spend on themed entertainment in Orlando. For Disney to not even try to compete (as you appear to suggest) when actively loosing market share just flat out doesn't make sense as a business strategy.

There is not a fictional fan-made competition between these parks, it is very real. Disney tried to negotiate Potter, they didn't, and now customers that would have belonged to Disney belong to Universal.
    i think its quite clear that this is disney's attitude considering we have not seen a truly major addition to the resort since everest. there has been no real fundamental expansions over the past few years, and future trends lack artistic merit or excitement in any sense. its a truly sad trend that has not really turned the corner yet (although i will say new fantasyland was a half-step in the right direction with its thematics and beautiful scenery).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I can't think of a single possible ride that would fit the LotR setting. The droptower of Barad-dr? Walking: The Ride? Middle Earth is one of my favorite things, maybe second only to Star Wars, but I can't picture it at all in a theme park setting.
    i dont know but ill be damn excited to see them try lol. imagine a ride similar to potter in the mines of moria, or riding an oliphant through the final battle for Minas Tirith. im so excited already.

Having just seen "The Hobbit", I think a roller-coaster or Transformers-type ride through the Mines of Moria, fighting Orcs would be interesting. A flume ride down a river could be fun. I think LoTR could work really well if they put the same investment into it as they did w/ WWoHP...

• Banned User

I'm all for it. The theme park potential is huge.

And no, there's no way this will kill WDW. It might mean that people add an extra day or two to the Universal portion of their Orlando vacation.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    i think its quite clear that this is disney's attitude considering we have not seen a truly major addition to the resort since everest. there has been no real fundamental expansions over the past few years, and future trends lack artistic merit or excitement in any sense. its a truly sad trend that has not really turned the corner yet (although i will say new fantasyland was a half-step in the right direction with its thematics and beautiful scenery).
    FLE is not a major addition? Virtually everyone would disagree with you there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast